Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, and Mobil 1question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So each and everyone of these boutique oils claims they are superior to the competing brands by showing their own data charts to potential consumers. But what about concrete unbiased evidence? Is one better than the other as in one has better wear properties, while the other has better detergents, or both? Or are they all equal?

Last edited:
35.gif

I`d say it`d depend on the application. For everyday driving,they`re pobably all equal and neither would show more/less wear than the other.

Too many different motors, driving styles, and variables. That's why you should just pick one, get it analyzed, and see how it holds up in your specific use case.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`d say it`d depend on the application. For everyday driving,they`re pobably all equal and neither would show more/less wear than the other.

I would agree with this. In normal day to day driving a person is unlikely to notice any difference with any of them.
HOWEVER
There is a thread onsite here where a poster was using Royal Purple,and another was using mobil 1. There are pics of the cams from each engine. The rp cam showed no wear at twice the mileage and the mobil cam had a visible wear scar that the poster could feel.
It's not scientific but it is interesting.
If you are going the rp route I'd look for something with either their synerlac additive(did I spell that right?) or the hps line.
Amsoil makes a great product however their API approved line is basically in line with any other OTC oil.
Red-line kicks butt however it's unlikely a person would need such a stout oil except in the most demanding application and it's expensive.
Mobil 1 is average,producing average results,for an above average price(here in Canada) Pennzoil platinum produces as good as or better uoa for less money.
Honestly though these premium products don't really perform much better than their conventional counterparts,except in the most demanding applications or extended drains(if applicable).
My hemi had 245k on pyb 5w-20,changed at 5000km intervals,and will still rip all 4 tires when I mat it,so obviously conventional oils can keep engines in great shape over the long term.

Add Penz Ultra to the mix. Then get thousands of identical motors, run them with the selected oils and have a few controls with various dino oils also, run them all through the same paces on a dyno for the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of miles, tear them all down and measure all the clearances and weigh all the wear collected from oil filters and used oil. Also compression test them all and see if they dyno the power that they should. This would be the only way to have a statistically significant test. With any test there are going to be bias, it's the job of the one administering the tests to minimize it.

Many companies do their 4 ball wear or other small tests that may or may not be applicable to the real world. Until somebody does all that, there really is no "best" oil and will all protect just fine if they are rated correctly and are the correct viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I would agree with this. In normal day to day driving a person is unlikely to notice any difference with any of them.
HOWEVER
There is a thread onsite here where a poster was using Royal Purple,and another was using mobil 1. There are pics of the cams from each engine. The rp cam showed no wear at twice the mileage and the mobil cam had a visible wear scar that the poster could feel.
If you are going the rp route I'd look for something with either their synerlac additive(did I spell that right?) or the hps line.
Amsoil makes a great product however their API approved line is basically in line with any other OTC oil.
Red-line kicks butt however it's unlikely a person would need such a stout oil except in the most demanding application and it's expensive.
Mobil 1 is average,producing average results,for an above average price(here in Canada) Pennzoil platinum produces as good as or better uoa for less money.
Honestly though these premium products don't really perform much better than their conventional counterparts,except in the most demanding applications or extended drains(if applicable).
My hemi had 245k on pyb 5w-20,changed at 5000km intervals,and will still rip all 4 tires when I mat it,so obviously conventional oils can keep engines in great shape over the long term.

That was a VERY interesting study indeed! Probably my all time favorite thread here on BITOG. I will say,my two uoa`s (one with RP and the other with M1),the RP uoa showed lower wear metals,very slightly,but the wear metals with RP were still lower.

Last edited:

HOWEVER

That was a VERY interesting study indeed! Probably my all time favorite thread here on BITOG. I will say,my two uoa`s (one with RP and the other with M1),the RP uoa showed lower wear metals,very slightly,but the wear metals with RP were still lower.

Link?

Again, I'd like to know the application. If the user was drag racing, that would be one thing...

HOWEVER

One of the best threads on here period IMO.

Well I gotta say guys I am not indecisive about what brand I wish to run in my car, but more so just finding out the truth on what's cracked up to be. Its not a case of which oil is best for me, but which manufacturer is being more honest.
Thank you all for your time and helpful links.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
36.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

35.gif

35.gif

36.gif

I don't think boutique oils have anything on the lastest offerings from the majors, except certain specific niche products.

One thing you will find on this web site is that there is no best of anything. One will say RP is the best another Amsoil and another M1 or PP. Some bash products as if they have some agenda. As for me I have used M1 oils for decades and find them to be outstanding, but would never say they are the best. I also do not hammer others which is silly since they are all very close in performance, or so I am told.

Originally Posted By: spag1
So each and everyone of these boutique oils claims they are superior to the competing brands by showing their own data charts to potential consumers. But what about concrete unbiased evidence? Is one better than the other as in one has better wear properties, while the other has better detergents, or both? Or are they all equal?

spag1, this sounds like the PERFECT opportunity for a classic BITOG comparo.

Get one fill of each oil, run them the same number of miles with the same filter, get UOAs and post them up!!
laugh.gif

Agree tig^^^ One needs to have an open mind re; today`s motor oil`s. I think most any oil out there now is a solid performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back