blinking a/c light

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys quick question. my 02 tahoe the a/c/ light was blinking when i engaged it. i was always told to engage the a/c every now and then to make sure the compressor spins even during the winter.one person told me it was because the temperature outside was cold and someone else told me it was because of low voltage. any ideas why? thanks guys.

Could just be a bulb or switch fault that won't affect AC operation.
Our '97 Accord had an intermitent AC light, but the AC itself always worked just fine.
If you can hear and feel the compressor engage and cycle, I'd say you've got no worries.

My Avalanche randomly flashed the light at me 70,000 miles on. If I turned the truck off and back on it would usually work again. It did seem to happen more in the winter months, but also happened a few times in the summer.

I have no explanation as to why it happens, but it was still working great when I sold it 60,000 miles later (130,000 miles).

Do you run your home AC every once in a while in winter? I don't. I do know that home AC's won't come on if it detects the temp is below a certain level.
In a lot of vehicles the defrost mode will run the AC to help dry the air. I suspect your vehicle has some sort of protection below a certain temp.

You do need to run aircon regularly to prevent the seals inside the system drying out and to ensure all the internals are kept lubed up, might be wrong terminology but I hope you know what I mean.

And I agree on the low temp cut out.

I have noticed that if you get stuck in traffic even in cold weather you can usually get it to work, possibly due to heat soak on the sensor? In every car with outside temp gauge the sensor has been in front bumper.

It could be an issue but I wouldn't be too worried unless it continues when the weather warms up.

I'd definitely run AC regularly to keep lube distributed and seals conditioned.

But flashing? Not at reasonable temperatures. I'll bet bad relay or clutch. Do you see it engage despite the flash?

Everybody wants to guess...here is the truth..In case you were actually referring to the recirc light here is what the GM service information says:

As of mid production for model year 2000 (approximately October 1999). The A/C compressor will run whenever Recirc mode is selected. The A/C indicator will not illuminate unless selected on by the driver.

Additionally, Recirc will not be available with HVAC in Floor, Defrost or any combination of Floor and Defrost. The Recirc indicator will flash 3 times to indicate this. HVAC will automatically switch out of Recirc when any Floor/Defrost position is selected.

Operating the A/C compressor in Recirc mode will improve dehumidification and assist in minimizing the chances of fogging. Not allowing Recirc in modes that will direct airflow to the windshield or floor will reduce the amount of moist interior air being distributed on glass surfaces.

All replacement control heads for model year 1999 to present will operate in this way.

If you WERE talking about the AC light -- it is normal based on the descriptions below from the GM manual:

The purpose of the air conditioning (A/C) system is to provide cool air and remove humidity from the interior of the vehicle. The vehicle operator can activate the A/C system by manually placing the mode switch in the Defrost position or by pressing the A/C button. The A/C system can operate regardless of the temperature setting, as long as outside ambient temperature is above 4°C (40°F). If the A/C is requested and temperatures are too low, the LED will flash 3 times to remind the vehicle operator that A/C is not available. If the blower motor switch is in the Off position the A/C button is inoperative. The A/C indicator lamp will not illuminate if system mode is selected to Defog or Defrost if it is off, or when the A/C compressor is on and in Automatic mode. The A/C indicator lamp will illuminate when the outside air temperature is above 40° and vehicle operator selects A/C on in manual mode.

Last edited:
And there you have it.

Never saw that on my 98 Chevy, and the AC is used at all times.

Even if the ambient temps are below 40F, the AC can engage because of heat transferred to the lines and refrigerant from running the engine.
Even in below zero conditions.

House systems have no seals to keep lubed - no reason to run them if not needed to cool things.

Last edited:
AC comes on with defrost setting for dehumidification too.The 1977 Plymouth Arrow/Colt(Mitsubishi) started that.

Don't you mean plymouth champ, which was the same as the colt? My father had one with dual range transmission but no factory air...

probably low on r-134
you dont have to turn it on from time to time because when you turn on the defogger it turns on the compressor

If it blinks more than 3 times that means that it has stored a fault code. The ac needs to be ran in cold weather either automatically with the defroster or manually to keep the seals wet.

Interesting.
I discovered that my old BMW does the same thing.
I tried recirc over the summer, and wondered why the air stayed so cold for so long.
I figured that the compressor must be running whenever recirc is selected.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Shouldn't something like that be addressed in the owner's manual?

It is but people don't read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back