Oil pan gasket leak GM 5.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed the last few oil changes that the gasket was getting moist on my daughter's 2008 Avalanche. Yesterday, while changing the oil and filter, the whole area around the drain plug is wet and forming droplets. This is the iron block "0" flex fuel engine with 78,500 miles now. I did the oil change but will be prepared for a gasket change on the next oil change (or sooner if it starts to drip on the driveway).

After doing a search on the subject I found a GM TSB that supposedly fixes the problem. But it deals with block porosity problems with the aluminum block engines only. Since this is an iron block, should I only change the gasket?

Any recommendations for a better aftermarket gasket that will last longer than a GM OEM gasket? I don't want to have to revisit this issue.

Thanks.

Are you sure it is not coming from the gasket around the drain plug?

Pan reinstallation requires alignment tools.

Those oil pan gaskets rarely leak on our fleet trucks even after VERY high mileage.

Not a likely failure, just note as per above that is not as simple as it looks.

Correct diagnosis is the key and can be difficult.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I've noticed the last few oil changes that the gasket was getting moist on my daughter's 2008 Avalanche. Yesterday, while changing the oil and filter, the whole area around the drain plug is wet and forming droplets. This is the iron block "0" flex fuel engine with 78,500 miles now. I did the oil change but will be prepared for a gasket change on the next oil change (or sooner if it starts to drip on the driveway).

After doing a search on the subject I found a GM TSB that supposedly fixes the problem. But it deals with block porosity problems with the aluminum block engines only. Since this is an iron block, should I only change the gasket?

Any recommendations for a better aftermarket gasket that will last longer than a GM OEM gasket? I don't want to have to revisit this issue.

Thanks.

INDYMAC,

On my 08-09" Impala SS with the same size engine I too noticed drops on my garage floor. I'm duue for a service soon so I'll just have my dealership handle it. Changing oil pan gasket isn't hard for those guys will all the right tools so I'm betting you need a new gasket and seal it up well. If it coming from around the drain plug then perhaps they forgot the drain plug washer.

Durango

Thanks.

Make sure this is the pan gasket before buying something expensive from the stealers. A genuine gasket will be the best as oil leaks can't be seen in China or Mexico.
Clean the entire area and double check the source as it might be coming from above, also ask on a GM AV specific forum for likely sources other than the gasket.
If you can't afford to fix it, try a can of Liqui Moly stop leak and if that fails then change to a thicker HM oil. Probably a 5/40 if you use a 5/30 at present, or a 10/40 in summer.

I've done the oil changes on this truck for the last almost 50K miles. The last 20K I've been watching the pan gasket because it was obviously getting moist around all the front 2/3 of the pan I could see easily while under the truck. This oil change, much of the area above the drain plug is wet and getting ready to drip. But I can't clearly see the pan above the area. The oil filter area is dry. The drain plug does not leak through the o-ring. I hope it is not a rear main seal leak. I sprayed the whole area down with brake cleaner when I was done. But finding the true source of the leak will still be difficult by the time I can put the truck on jack stands again.

I'll probably take it to Chevy or a local mech for a proper diagnosis before the next OC. Then make a decision on what to do.

Here is the TSB info I found earlier on a Silverado site:

"hope this can help you. I found the following TSB. This might be the issue.This is usually the issue if you have leakage near oil filter..common in 09s when they switched to the different type of (shiny)metals on the oil pan/bell housing.Usually the dealer tries fixing the oil pan gasket first and if it dont work this is usually it! 05-06-01-034J:Engine Oil Leak at Rear Cover Assembly Area
(Engine Block Porosity RTV Repair Procedure) - (Nov 12, 2009)

Models: 2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2008-2009 Buick LaCrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)
2005-2010 Cadillac CTS-V
2007-2010 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2003-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
2003-2010 Chevrolet Corvette
2004-2006 Chevrolet SSR
2005-2010 Chevrolet Silverado, Silverado SS
2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
2006-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS, Impala SS
2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2009-2010 Chevrolet Colorado Pickup
2010 Chevrolet Camaro
2003-2009 GMC Envoy
2003-2010 GMC Sierra
2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV
2007-2010 GMC Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali
2009-2010 GMC Canyon
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
2005-2009 Saab 9-7X 5.3i
2008-2009 Saab 9-7X Aero
2003-2010 HUMMER H2
2006-2010 HUMMER H3
with 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L VORTEC™ GEN III or GEN IV V8 Engine (All Aluminum Block) (RPOs L33, LC9, LH6, LH8, LH9, LM4, LS4, LS1, LS6, L76, L77, LFA, LZ1, LS2, L92, L94, L99, L9H, LS3, LS9, LSA, LS7)

This bulletin is being revised to add RPOs and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-01-034I (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).
Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine oil leak.

Cause
Upon initial diagnosis, it may be determined that the leak is coming from the rear cover gasket. This condition may be caused by engine block porosity on the sealing surface. This issue pertains to aluminum block applications only.

Correction
Follow the steps for Oil Leak Diagnosis in SI to determine the source of the leak. If the leak has been diagnosed as coming from the engine rear cover assembly, refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI and remove the engine rear cover assembly. Inspect the engine block and engine rear cover for porosity on the mating surfaces.
• If porosity is found on the engine rear cover (see illustration below), replace the engine rear cover assembly, GM P/N 12633579.
• If porosity is found on the engine block, use the following procedure to apply RTV to repair the engine block porosity.

The porosity issue is in the gasket sealing surface at the top of the cover, near the high pressure oil crossover port. Refer to the picture below. The oil leaks by the gasket and runs down the side of the cover, and may appear to be a leak at the t-joint area of the cover. The fix is to replace the cover with GM P/N 12633579. Also, if porosity is found anywhere on the sealing surface of the engine block, use the following procedure to apply RTV to repair the engine block porosity. Refer to the illustration below.

Important: Clean any residual oil from the block and cover before applying the sealant in the next step.

1. Wipe a small amount of RTV, P/N 12378521 (in Canada, use P/N 88901148), onto the surface using a plastic scraper to fill the porosity.
2. Remove any excess RTV material, especially from inside the high pressure oil passage. Refer to #1 in the above illustration.
3. The joint may be closed immediately after applying the RTV. Total joint time after the RTV has been applied must be under 20 minutes.

Important: Refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI and follow the tightening specifications and sequence.

4. Reinstall the engine rear cover using a new gasket and a new crankshaft rear main seal. Refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI."

Next time you are under the vehicle try and tighten the nuts yourself by hand with a socket wrench. Maybe the oil pan nuts are getting loose.

Regards, JC.

Clean it first and put flour or baby powder dust on it. Then drive it and see where the leak really is coming from. Gravity causes oil to work it's way down from funny places. Your leak [or leaks] may be further up.
Might be a crank or cam seal, sensor, etc..

I changed the oil pan gasket on my 2005 Z71. It's very easy to do. You will need one pan gasket and one tube of high temp silicone sealant. Drain your oil, unbolt, drop the pan, clean, clean, clean, put a bead of silicone sealant on the engine bolck where the front and back covers bolt on to the engine block (you will see the seam, that is where you want to put a little sealant 1/4" bead the width of the surface), install your gasket and torque the bolts down, install a new filter, fill with your choice of 5w-30 GM6094m spec, start engine, and check for leaks.

Thanks cwd73. That's how I would hope the procedure would go. I just have to get it on a lift soon to see what's really going on. My flexibilty while lying underneath the truck is not so good. My daughter stopped by yesterday and I didn't see any drips on my driveway when she left. So that's a good thing I guess.

I've done the oil changes on this truck for the last almost 50K miles. The last 20K I've been watching the pan gasket because it was obviously getting moist around all the front 2/3 of the pan I could see easily while under the truck. This oil change, much of the area above the drain plug is wet and getting ready to drip. But I can't clearly see the pan above the area. The oil filter area is dry. The drain plug does not leak through the o-ring. I hope it is not a rear main seal leak. I sprayed the whole area down with brake cleaner when I was done. But finding the true source of the leak will still be difficult by the time I can put the truck on jack stands again.

I'll probably take it to Chevy or a local mech for a proper diagnosis before the next OC. Then make a decision on what to do.

"hope this can help you. I found the following TSB. This might be the issue.This is usually the issue if you have leakage near oil filter..common in 09s when they switched to the different type of (shiny)metals on the oil pan/bell housing.Usually the dealer tries fixing the oil pan gasket first and if it dont work this is usually it! 05-06-01-034J:Engine Oil Leak at Rear Cover Assembly Area

2005-2010 Cadillac CTS-V
2004-2006 Chevrolet SSR
2010 Chevrolet Camaro
2003-2009 GMC Envoy
2003-2010 GMC Sierra
2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV
2009-2010 GMC Canyon
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
2005-2009 Saab 9-7X 5.3i
2008-2009 Saab 9-7X Aero
2003-2010 HUMMER H2
2006-2010 HUMMER H3
with 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L VORTEC™ GEN III or GEN IV V8 Engine (All Aluminum Block) (RPOs L33, LC9, LH6, LH8, LH9, LM4, LS4, LS1, LS6, L76, L77, LFA, LZ1, LS2, L92, L94, L99, L9H, LS3, LS9, LSA, LS7)

This bulletin is being revised to add RPOs and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-01-034I (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).
Condition

Cause
Upon initial diagnosis, it may be determined that the leak is coming from the rear cover gasket. This condition may be caused by engine block porosity on the sealing surface. This issue pertains to aluminum block applications only.

Correction
Follow the steps for Oil Leak Diagnosis in SI to determine the source of the leak. If the leak has been diagnosed as coming from the engine rear cover assembly, refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI and remove the engine rear cover assembly. Inspect the engine block and engine rear cover for porosity on the mating surfaces.
• If porosity is found on the engine rear cover (see illustration below), replace the engine rear cover assembly, GM P/N 12633579.
• If porosity is found on the engine block, use the following procedure to apply RTV to repair the engine block porosity.

The porosity issue is in the gasket sealing surface at the top of the cover, near the high pressure oil crossover port. Refer to the picture below. The oil leaks by the gasket and runs down the side of the cover, and may appear to be a leak at the t-joint area of the cover. The fix is to replace the cover with GM P/N 12633579. Also, if porosity is found anywhere on the sealing surface of the engine block, use the following procedure to apply RTV to repair the engine block porosity. Refer to the illustration below.

Important: Clean any residual oil from the block and cover before applying the sealant in the next step.

1. Wipe a small amount of RTV, P/N 12378521 (in Canada, use P/N 88901148), onto the surface using a plastic scraper to fill the porosity.
2. Remove any excess RTV material, especially from inside the high pressure oil passage. Refer to #1 in the above illustration.
3. The joint may be closed immediately after applying the RTV. Total joint time after the RTV has been applied must be under 20 minutes.

Important: Refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI and follow the tightening specifications and sequence.

4. Reinstall the engine rear cover using a new gasket and a new crankshaft rear main seal. Refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI."

Are you quoting aluminum block information for your iron block?

Originally Posted By: 229

2005-2010 Cadillac CTS-V
2004-2006 Chevrolet SSR
2010 Chevrolet Camaro
2003-2009 GMC Envoy
2003-2010 GMC Sierra
2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV
2009-2010 GMC Canyon
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
2005-2009 Saab 9-7X 5.3i
2008-2009 Saab 9-7X Aero
2003-2010 HUMMER H2
2006-2010 HUMMER H3

Condition

Cause

Correction

Are you quoting aluminum block information for your iron block?

Yes. I thought that would help others with the aluminum block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back