Grease joint rejuvenator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought one from John Deere and it lasted a while but recently blew the end off it. Who makes one that will last ?

Are you talking about a zerk cleaner that you fill with light oil and tap with a hammer? If so I've had a KD one for many years. I don't use it often but has always worked when needed. Zerk Cleaner I use ATF or PB Blaster both seem to work the same. It's the hydraulic action rather than what the fluid is that does the work.

That's the one, looks like this one the end threads on instead of press fit like the old one. I was using 3in1 oil or PB blaster, thank you.

Last edited:
OK so I bought one from Tractor Supply that looks near indestructible and more than a few people said they used one with good results. Your supposed to use a solvent based liquid to clear the joint; I guess that's PB ?

Often just easier to replace the fitting, but beware of cheap parts. A good one is still not expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JD4440
OK so I bought one from Tractor Supply that looks near indestructible and more than a few people said they used one with good results. Your supposed to use a solvent based liquid to clear the joint; I guess that's PB ?

Thanks for the kind words! We (IPA Tools) are the manufacturer of the Grease Joint Rejuvenator sold at TSC. It is also available through John Deere, which is how I originally found this thread. I was shocked one of our units experienced such an issue but turns out it was a similar tool made elsewhere. Our GJR is made in the states, and has a lifetime warranty so it should hold up much better for you.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Replacing the fitting often will not get grease flowing again because the clog is inside the joint and not in the fitting.

You certainly hit the nail on the head here. Old grease carbonizes and blocks the relief slots. Any new grease cannot move the clog and just shoots back out the fitting. The key to fighting the clog is hydraulic pressure which breaks up the hardened grease. The fitting is just a simple channel in the process.

We recently bought the GJR at TSC to use on a Case backhoe that our company just purchased off lease. Needless to say, as a lease unit, I think the grease gun at the Case plant was most likely the last one this machine saw until now. Almost none of the fittings would take grease. The GJR worked great. Some fittings took a little more work than others, but the tool worked perfectly. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this tool to anyone.

Hmmmph, When a zerk doesn't take grease, I unscrew it and put the grease gun to it. A little dark plug of grease comes out and I replace it and start pumping in the lube. Been doing it for ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back