Wood or fiberglass handles???

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your opinion on Wood versus Fiberglass handles on hammers, axes, sledgehammers, etc?

For some reason I like the look and feel of wood handles better, but they don't seem to last as long as fiberglass handles especially when you miss what you want to hit.

It's a good question.

I've re-hung several axes and hammers and always used hickory because it looks right. The fiberglass has got all the technical advantages: strength, weight, waterproof. But it looks artificial.

On the other hand, if I was chopping down a forest I'd want the lightest, strongest handle I could get so fiberglass all the way. Anyway, it's a good question with no really right answer!

I did make axe head protectant with some Mobil 1 and beeswax (to get in some oil-related content...).

You may want one of these:
HS-picwith-150.jpg

It's a rubber bumper.
As a satisfied customer, I can tell you they work.
(OK, I'm not always "Mr. Accuracy" with a sledgehammer.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
I have a mix and I sure do like fiberglass for shovels and stuff stored in the shed. Better stuff in the shop, wood is fine.

My feelings exactly.

I've got some tennis elbow from using my fiberglass/plastic splitting maul. It seems to have some extra "buzz" vs. a wooden handle one but has lasted for quite a while.
I probably should go back to wooden handle and get a handle saver.

I am a carpenter and swing a hammer for a living. I've been using a 32 ounce vaughan for my entire career. A wood handle is way better as far as vibration absorption. I've used steel estwings and various fiberglass hammers and none of them are as good as the ole hickory.
The fiberglass handle gave me tennis elbow within a few days of using it.
The only downfall with wood is that over time the wood fibers slowly stop absorbing the shock so they need to be replaced.
I found as soon as the teeth were gone the hammer was pretty much done for too.
Vaughan makes the best hammers and nail pullers on the market. You can't go wrong buying one.

Used to buy shovels by the gross. A paving crew will actually wear out the shovel head before the handle fails. Wood was fine for them. The grading guys likes the fiberglass handles, did more prying than the paving guys.

Loobed, I have fiberglass handles on my wood splitting axe, sledge hammer, and shovels. Haven't broke one yet. My wood splitter axe is 12 years old now and has split about 80-100 cords of wood, still in good shape. I have broken several wood handles on shovels. I burn 7-8 cords of firewood every winter and rely on my wood splitting tools heavily. I broke a sledge hammer a few years ago but the fiberglass handle was still in good shape.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Vaughan makes the best hammers and nail pullers on the market. You can't go wrong buying one.

I was looking at them today. They look like a work of art. I was surprised to see something that is still made in the USA.

I have a draw knife and a heavy duty rasp. The handles just get keep getting shorter or recycled onto other implements.
laugh.gif

If you like the wood but have problems when you miss, just wrap it up. A nice tight wrap of thick rubber splicing tape near the head will keep that handle safe for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back