Nissan Patrol 4.8l - Australian Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day,

Long time lurker, so I think I know enough to warrant asking some questions.

Firstly, I currently own a 2003 Nissan Patrol Aus Spec which is running a TB48 motor. The motor is pretty much a big brother to the RB26, running VVT and DOHC, 24V and straight 6 configuration. These are thirsty beasts but that's neither here or there, they are powerful and get 2.5t of car moving pretty well.

I have been using M1 5W-30 for the last 5k kms, with a M1-110 EP filter. The service intervals for these vehicles range between 7500kms to 15000kms, depending on driving condition i.e. dust, towing etc. I plan on changing mine at 15k regardless, as factory fill is a mineral Castrol oil. The filter is absolutely minute compared to my old HJ61 Landcruiser oiler, in fact its smaller than my fathers 1.6l Ford Duratec motor. Due to this, it is my understanding that these motors, despite their size, are reasonably gently on oil.

I live in Perth, Australia where it can, and does, reach 45ºC during summer, but also gets down to 3ºC winter. I do trips out through the desert, where temps can hit 50ºC plus as well.

My question is, would I be better of going with a maybe M1 0W40? My concern is the high ambient temps, and I think that the extra viscosity up top will be beneficial.

Apologies in advance if I'm out of my league here. I'm trying to buck against the Australian trend of "aaah just throw 15W-40 in everything, she'll be alright", so I thought it would be fitting to ask here
smile.gif

Thanks.

G'day Doug,

Thanks for getting back to me promptly.

I will change the oil prior to my trip up north.

Do you think the OCI's of 15k kms are optimistic?

Cheers

I agree with Doug, M1 0W40 is one of the best xW40 oil especially when we can buy a quart for around $5 when it's on sale(regularly at one of several auto parts chains in USA) or $6.xx at Walmart every day, in USA.

M1 0W40 is a long drain oil, it can easily do 15k kms.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I agree with Doug, M1 0W40 is one of the best xW40 oil especially when we can buy a quart for around $5 when it's on sale(regularly at one of several auto parts chains in USA) or $6.xx at Walmart every day, in USA.

Yeah I don't know why I actually didn't use 0W40 initially, it seems to be a decent all-rounder.

Cheapest I can get M1 in Aus is about $11/quart, which is actually reasonable considering some auto stores sell it for about $93/5 litres!

Thanks for your response

Originally Posted By: TeeBee48
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Yeah I don't know why I actually didn't use 0W40 initially, it seems to be a decent all-rounder.

Cheapest I can get M1 in Aus is about $11/quart, which is actually reasonable considering some auto stores sell it for about $93/5 litres!

Thanks for your response

Where do you buy M1 0W40 for 11/quart Teebee, online from US? I never see it less than about $90/5L in stores here!

That's why I'd use Shell Helix HX7 10W40 in your application. This one is only about $30/5L in stores.

I purchase it from GL Lubricants in NSW. They also sell M1 EP oil filters which I'm using too. Their price is the cheapest in Aus by a long shot. They also sell Redline Oil and Shell Rotella.

I was going to run Castrol Magnetec or another mineral oil 10W40, but for the extra couple of dollars if purchased through GL, I'd rather have the piece of mind that I'm running top quality synthetic. I still gotta get used to the 15k kms OCI's though! My 12H-T LandCruiser got changed at 5k kms religiously! Rang like a swiss watch when I sold it though, 370k kms.

Hi,
TeeBee48 - In this Tourist town the best price at SuperCheap Auto for 5Lts M1 0w-40 is $98. Castrol's 0W-40 is $76

I buy my Mobil lubricants via a Distributor too

Yes 15kkms OCIs will be OK, I have been running at least that in my Porsche & Benz cars and my current fill has about 18kkms up

An oil sample at say 10kkms will confirm it one way or another for you of course

And welcome to BITOG

Last edited:
G'day Doug,

Thanks for welcome

Yeah I can vouch for that, I did a runner when I saw the price for M1 in Perth. Being in one of the most isolated cap cities in the world has its perks... I'm yet to find one!

Buying from a distributor makes it MUCH more viable for me I think. Cheapest I could find M1 EP filters for online was about USD$12, I'm paying AUD$18, which is again is not the cheapest, but for 15k kms, I'll run it!

Cheers

TeeBee

Last edited:
I think we have very low price engine oil, ATF, MTF, PSF, oil filter, air filter and many other auto parts in USA. Sometimes we get free or near free oil on sale price and after rebate.

I purchase it from GL Lubricants in NSW. They also sell M1 EP oil filters which I'm using too. Their price is the cheapest in Aus by a long shot. They also sell Redline Oil and Shell Rotella.

Cheers TB. Those GL lub prices are really good for Australia. I just checked and their postage is reasonable too, $12 for 4 qts.

Still four qts comes to $56 (inc postage) which works out at nearly $15/L. So still pricey, but better than the $19/L in stores here. Also I imagine that the more stuff you're ordering then the lower proportion will be postage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: uart

Cheers TB. Those GL lub prices are really good for Australia. I just checked and their postage is reasonable too, $12 for 4 qts.

Still four qts comes to $56 (inc postage) which works out at nearly $15/L. So still pricey, but better than the $19/L in stores here. Also I imagine that the more stuff you're ordering then the lower proportion will be postage.

Yeah it's still cheaper than getting it from SuperCheap Auto. The local autospares place is usually slightly more expensive on top of that, so I'd hate to see what they are charging. However, even at SuperCr*ps prices it is still cheaper than my diesel, as I was spending about $70 every 5k kms.

I vaguely recall getting a small discount last time I bought from GL, I bought quite a bit of 5W30 M1 because it just so happens that my car, as well as my wife's and my fathers all run 5W30, so all up about 17qts. I'm trying to coerce a few mates to start running M1 so that we can do regular group purchases for a reduced price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back