purolator vs fram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently run 2 vehicles with fram filters. A 2006 chrysler town and country 3.3 v6 and a 1996 dodge ram 1500 5.2 v8. They both are ran on castrol gtx high mileage. I ususally keep the oci on the van between 5-8000 miles and try to stay at 5000 with the truck. I change the filter every other change. I use the xtended guard on the van and tough guard on the truck. But recently I've heard from a few buddies and been reading through the fourms and I've heard good things about purolators. I was just wondering what's the best for my situation?

I prefer Purolator over the OCOD anyday.The XG does look like a great filter though.

Oil filters are cheap insurance for an engine;why not change it every OCI?
21.gif

My eyeballs see quite a difference on the stick between the new Ultra and the former Xtended guard. Its on par with PureOne efficiency (99.9 P1, 99 Ultra). Ultra is $2 more but you get synthetic media and 15k intervals. I used it twice in the Camry, so its cheaper. Seems to filter more efficient the longer its used, but thats just my eyeballs, no facts.

Not only are Purolator's better than Fram's they are cheaper at Walmart. Go with Purolator. I always use Purolator's on my cars and only use a Fram on my bike since thats the only filter I can find locally. Otherwise Id never use one.

I would go for purolator myself.

I know that Ford use Purolater filters as OE spec, or at least they do on the Ford Focus Diesel engine fitted to my Volvo.

I compared it to the Bosch filter and both seem very high quality.

I suspect the Purolater filter is specced due to the engine being a joint development with the PSA group(Citreon + Peugeot).

All Purolater filter I have seen(not many) have been made in France.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I prefer Purolator over the OCOD anyday.The XG does look like a great filter though.

21.gif

I usually don't change every oci because I don't like my poor engines running off a dry filter every change. And imo it dosent really hurt...my grandfather had a 1968 chevy c20. Oci 3000 miles filter every other and he went 390,000 on the original engine. Quite a feat with an old motor like that lol

Originally Posted By: jdawg89

21.gif

I usually don't change every oci because I don't like my poor engines running off a dry filter every change. And imo it dosent really hurt...my grandfather had a 1968 chevy c20. Oci 3000 miles filter every other and he went 390,000 on the original engine. Quite a feat with an old motor like that lol

There are ways to get around a dry start; fill the filter with oil before starting the engine. Disconnect the coil and turn the engine over until pressure builds up.
I'm sure more people will chime in with other ideas.

35.gif

21.gif

+1. I just don't get the every other oil change plan.

Donald - Until recently I would agree. But now there are extended interval filters with synthetic media making it possible and safe. Having no issues on the second run, never dreamed of doing it before. Makes the new oil dirty? Nope, didn't happen according to my eyes. Although it doesn't mean much, I like clean looking oil. If it had i would never do it again.

Last edited:
I would use Purolator PureOne filters in both of your vehicles. I use one in my Corolla and will never switch back to the Toyota brand filters.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Not only are Purolator's better than Fram's they are cheaper at Walmart. Go with Purolator. I always use Purolator's on my cars and only use a Fram on my bike since thats the only filter I can find locally. Otherwise Id never use one.
+ 1

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
I would use Purolator PureOne filters in both of your vehicles. I use one in my Corolla and will never switch back to the Toyota brand filters.

Last week my son went to PBs and picked up the Peak synthetic/PureOne filter deal for his Corolla.How long should he wait to do his next OCI?

I agree with using the PureOne. After I use my last MC filter I will be using a PureOne.

21.gif

Many pcmo spin-on filters are WAY undersize. Change them every OCI. What you grandfather did has nothing to do with the engines , fuel, and oil used in cars today.

Last edited:

21.gif

I hope you are not depending on the ADB valve to keep oil in the filter. The only way to be sure the filter doesn't empty is to mount it bottom up, and at that point you can just add oil to the new one before attaching it. With a filter mounted the "wrong" way bottom down oil will still migrate through the filter material and partially empty it at least. Nevetheless, millions of Camry I 4s have their filters at about a 45 degree angle, bottom down.

21.gif

There are ways to get around a dry start; fill the filter with oil before starting the engine. Disconnect the coil and turn the engine over until pressure builds up.
I'm sure more people will chime in with other ideas.

35.gif

+1

The coil? What has one coil anymore. Still, Not rec for Lambda control engines with converters.
Disco the fuel pump relay fuse I would say - but not worth the effort - if the car spins a bearing, its in bad shape anyhow given most bearing "clearances" are 1-2 thou diametrical which is a 0.5 -1 thou running clearance. Idle is not a bad load on the "dry" engine compared to acceleration shock. There is plenty of oil left behind in there between parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The coil. Ha ha. What hads 1 coil anymore. Not rec for Lambda control.

Disco the fuel pump relay fuse I would say - but not worth the effort - if the car spins a bearing, its in bad shape anyhow given most bearing "clearances" are 1-2 thou diametrical which is a 0.5 -1 thou running clearance. Idle is not a bad load on the "dry" engine compared to acceleration shock. There is plenty of oil left behind in there between parts.

My truck has a coil pack.
smirk.gif

Concerns with dry start ups are minimal at best,oil residue is still coating vital engine parts so the few seconds it takes to circulate oil upon start up is of no concern.

Even in heavy truck and equipment applications where filters are 3-5 qt capacity there`s no issues with dry filter starts.

Ok, so I will consider changing every other...and imo the filter is oversized for the van and undersize for the truck lol. (They take the same filter) and I'm just parinoid about dry starts. Even if I don't change the filter I still remove the coil wire and crank it untill I get my pressure up. And I fill the filter in the van because its easy to get on. On the other hand the truck is sorta a pain....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back