Supertech High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody, this is not the exhausted subject of "who makes Supertech" but I want to hear from people who have used their High Mileage blend and their thoughts? I have the WPP blended and it is SN rated. I imagine it is a more robust version of their convential but I figured with the winter coming I would be better off with the SN versus the SM I am using with my current fill (Defy.) Haven't changed the oil yet so I am not sure of how it works with my Equinox but am curious how other people's reactions toward this product. Thanks in advance!

I used it a few years back in a beater 90' Buick LaSabre and it was fine--little consumption and stayed pretty clean. But I've since seen VOA's and UOA's that show it has a relatively light add-pack when compared to Valvoline MaxLife or QS Defy. For a couple of bucks more, I'd buy the later...

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Hey everybody, this is not the exhausted subject of "who makes Supertech" but I want to hear from people who have used their High Mileage blend and their thoughts? I have the WPP blended and it is SN rated. I imagine it is a more robust version of their convential but I figured with the winter coming I would be better off with the SN versus the SM I am using with my current fill (Defy.) Haven't changed the oil yet so I am not sure of how it works with my Equinox but am curious how other people's reactions toward this product. Thanks in advance!

Are you sure your Defy is not SL rated?

I used the 10W30 version and it helped a seeping rear main seal. No noticable consumption or noise. It worked well, like the rest of the Wpp Walmart oils.

The only issue I see now is price. Supertech is not the deal it once was, IMO.

I've used QS Defy in several different vehiles. I got them with from 135,000 ato 209,000 miles on them and no maintainance records. The Defy seemed to stop some minor leaks and no oil consumption more than to be expected.. Defy is hardly any money more than Super Tec.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

I agree. For less than $1 more per 5qt jug you can get QS Defy or Mobil Super 5000 HM.

I've used the Supertech HM and had no complaints whatsoever, but prefer Maxlife and Castrol HM for a few bucks more.

Yep, it seems Walmart realized that people have caught on to the fact that the ST oil is as good as the major brands and have now priced it accordingly.

Super Tech is made by Warren Products,same people making Peak oil.Just without Danica's paycheck....

I've thought about picking some up, but really - why not just go with a trusted name brand for a couple dollars more?

Originally Posted By: volk06

Are you sure your Defy is not SL rated?

I think it is SL rated in the 10w-40. Not 100%

Originally Posted By: JavierG

I agree. For less than $1 more per 5qt jug you can get QS Defy or Mobil Super 5000 HM.

While I would normally agree. There is a 4$ difference between the QS Defy/Maxlife and the Supertech. I was planning on using it with my OLM (which typically goes between 5-6.5k miles anyways) and figured why not save $4. Went towards some washer fluid and new razors haha

While I would normally agree. There is a 4$ difference between the QS Defy/Maxlife and the Supertech. I was planning on using it with my OLM (which typically goes between 5-6.5k miles anyways) and figured why not save $4. Went towards some washer fluid and new razors haha

Here are the prices at my local Walmart for 5 quart containers:

Super Tech HM - $14.63
Mobil Super HM - $15.23
QS Defy - $15.57
Valvoline Maxlife - $17.27
Castrol GTX HM - $17.27
Pennzoil HM - $17.27

So, both the Mobil and QS Defy are less than $1 more than the ST. Even the most expensive HM is only $2.64 more than the ST.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Super Tech HM - $14.63
Mobil Super HM - $15.23 QS Defy - $15.57
Castrol GTX HM - $17.27
Pennzoil HM - $17.27

So, both the Mobil and QS Defy are less than $1 more than the ST. Even the most expensive HM is only $2.64 more than the ST.

I'd go for the Mobil HM all day long.

Super Tech HM - $14.63
Mobil Super HM - $15.23
QS Defy - $15.57
Castrol GTX HM - $17.27
Pennzoil HM - $17.27

Supertech for me is just under $15 and the next after that is $19 and up. ST is still the cheaper option for me in my area. I used Mobil 1 HM before and it worked well but my engine was noticably louder compared to other motor oils I have used. That is the only reason why I didn't go with the obvious favorite in BITOG. Figure for 5k why not try something new, being SN rated it should hold up nicely for the winter. Thanks for everybody's input!

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I've thought about picking some up, but really - why not just go with a trusted name brand for a couple dollars more?
Just curious, how are you defining "trusted" here?
28.gif
smile.gif

Yep, it seems Walmart realized that people have caught on to the fact that the ST oil is as good as the major brands and have now priced it accordingly.
I'm not familiar with the pricing history here. What was its previous selling price (i.e. before it was $14.xx)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back