2005 Hond Accord V6/5AT Reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're looking at an 05 Accord V6 5AT with 80k Miles. It has leather, sunroof, etc. Seems to be a pretty high end model for it's time.

I don't know much about these cars other than the previous generation had transmission issues.

Is there anything to watch out for?

If we do get this, I'm going to do a trans flush, trans cooler , coolant flush and oil change.

How reliable are these cars?

Engine is mega-reliable. I autocross the V6 and never had an issue. My friend used to road race his and now has 200k miles on the V6. Barely burns any oil after 200k miles! Dont use Mobil 1 (its a honda). I used Pennzoil Ultra

As for the transmission... Look up the recall for the 5-speed autos. See if it applies to your model/yr, i know they had issues with 2nd gear blowing up.

I love mine, possibly the best interior of all the Accords.

Last edited:
I use Mobil 1 in my 07 accord 6cyl without trouble at all, every 15,000 miles i pull the drain plug on the tranny and it lets 3qrts out, i refill 3qrts and repeat again at 15,000 miles.. my tranny is flawless at 86,000 miles..

Back on oil, Im not afraid to run any quality syn in this car, I dlike to hear the reasons why Mobil 1 should be avoided. You may know something i dont !

Originally Posted By: Miller88
If we do get this, I'm going to do a trans flush, trans cooler , coolant flush and oil change.

Extremely. By 2005, Honda had solved the automatic transmission problems that plagued earlier models.

But... I would STRONGLY recommend that you use factory procedures and fluids when you do your transmission and coolant fluid CHANGE (not "flush"). Do not use aftermarket substances. Use of aftermarket is asking for trouble.

There were some recalls on earlier versions (maybe into '05 too?) that involved repiping a line so the gear with the issue had more direct cooling (2nd gear, I think but am not sure).

What they did was take the fill plug at the top of the trans (under the air cleaner) and use it as the point where the ATF can directly (or better) contact that weak point. You can tell if the recall was done by that mod.

However your may be okay by then, so have a Honda dealer check the VIN in their service dept to see if it was subject to recall or not.

I have an '07 with almost 95k that has done well. I use Maxlife ATF with Lubegard Red. But if the new synthetic is now being used (DW-1) you'll be good. The old Z-1 was not the stoutest stuff around. If that was implied to still be in there, I'd get it out asap.

That said, you could consider using Amsoil ATF. Trav and others have great results in these cars with that fluid. I may change to that next time around, just because. I would probably add Lubegard Red to that too, but that's me.

Are there any service records to show if the ATF has been changed? BTW, Honda recommends just drain/refill 3x to be considered done.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Extremely. By 2005, Honda had solved the automatic transmission problems that plagued earlier models.

But... I would STRONGLY recommend that you use factory procedures and fluids when you do your transmission and coolant fluid CHANGE (not "flush"). Do not use aftermarket substances. Use of aftermarket is asking for trouble.

What aftermarket substances might you be refering to ?

I've had that vehicle since new and now have 190K, no problems. I've owned 20+ cars in my lifetime and this is by far the best. I still love to drive it just as much as I did when I got it. Tranny drain and refill every 30K with only Honda ATF. PP or M1 it's whole life. Don't forget the timing belt at 105K.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I use Mobil 1 in my 07 accord 6cyl without trouble at all, every 15,000 miles i pull the drain plug on the tranny and it lets 3qrts out, i refill 3qrts and repeat again at 15,000 miles.. my tranny is flawless at 86,000 miles..

Back on oil, Im not afraid to run any quality syn in this car, I dlike to hear the reasons why Mobil 1 should be avoided. You may know something i dont !

You have a 6-speed MT V6 too? If so 15k tranny fluid intervals is a waste. I change mine every 60k, mine is flawless too even with a STS. And i beat the [censored] out of mine.

In regards to Mobil 1, ive read too many stories about it burning like crazy in S2000s and other 4-cylinder Hondas. It put a bad taste in my mouth. Burns pretty good in my buddies Lexus IS300 (2JZ motor) too! HOWEVER, i used to use Mobil 1 in my Accord V6 quite a and it burned about 1/4qt over a 3750 OCI when autocrossing. Switched to Pennzoil Ultra and raced 3 events in 3750 OCI, didnt burn a drop. Tried M1 in my Civic and it burned, but weirdly the level hasnt moved in the last 1,000 miles (curious).

I have a weakness for Hondas. As much as I liked my '96 Accord V6 (new owner is loving the car from what I hear...urged her to treat it like I did and it'll run forever) the 2003-07 Accords are probably my favorite. Weaknesses in these cars were few except for the problematic auto trans in the early models (2003-04?). I'm not sure when Honda corrected the issues with the trans but owners with later models had no complaints about their reliability. I agree on the interior as well as the exterior styling...one of the best.

Keep in mind that around 100K the timing belt is due and it is sensible to replace water pump and a few other items while it's opened up. Budget for it.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Keep in mind that around 100K the timing belt is due and it is sensible to replace water pump and a few other items while it's opened up. Budget for it.

105k for timing belt, waterpump, coolant, and sparkplugs. Sparkplugs are about $12/each.

I have a 2005 Acura MDX with the 5-speed Honda AT. It's probably not exactly the same transmission as that found in a V-6 Accord, but it's close. We have nearly 90k miles on this transmission at this point and it's still shifting and operating very good. I've owned two RWD transmissions (a GM Hydramatic and a Ford AOD) that were both rebuilt by this many miles, so it's going good for us so far.

I have used many fluids in this AT and so far anyway, prefer Valvoline's MaxLife ATF, though I think I will try Castrol Transmax IMV in it next. It went 70k miles on the original Z1, and I did a number of drain/fills with the new DW-1. DW-1 was nice for a while, but I felt that it broke down/sheared just as quick as the Z1 did, and shift feel degraded quicker than I like. Many feel that you're gambling with aftermarket fluid, but I feel that you're gambling with the OEM fluid, at least in this case. Honda's ATF is demonstrably prone to heavy shearing. Many of the issues with Honda's ATs in the past have related to heat. It all correlates together: you have an AT that either produces or experiences a lot of heat, and you have a fluid that is known to shear pretty quickly under pressure, and you have a number of unit failures.

Were they caused by the fluid, or exacerbated by the fluid? I don't know. What I do know is that the failures did occur with the OEM fluid in the cases, and there's a growing user base out there using third party fluids who feel they work as good or better than the OEM fluids. I was an OEM fluid person for a long time, but have found that some third party fluids really do work very well.

Keep in mind that the timing belt is 105,000 miles OR seven years. A 2005 model is due or overdue for a timing belt change if it hasn't been done yet, regardless of miles. Our Acura is still on its original timing belt; I plan to fix that this spring.

We're going to be picking it up on Monday. So we'll see.

In the spring I'm going to tackle ATF change, oil change (first one is from dealer) and brakes if needed.

I'm not touching spark plugs in an aluminum head and certainly not doing a timing belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back