Who is using Mobils mPAO Base Oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering what Oils are using the newer mPAO made by ExxonMobil mPAO
I was reading that Joe Gibb Driven Oils Driven Oils use the mPAO base oils but they are very expensive does anyone know of any other oils that might be using the mPAO base oils ?

Last edited:
I would think that a lot of companies won't divulge who their suppliers are.

Then again, with huge companies like ExxonMobil and Lubrizol controlling a huge percentage of business, it's fairly obvious that most motor oils are coming from only a few different places.

Yes I know that not all companies would want to say who / how they get their base oils but I would think that companies using mPAO would want to use it as a selling feature. The Joe Gibbs Driven Synthetic Oils ( not sure if all of them us it ) mention the mPAO is their base oil, the problem with the Joe Gibbs oil is that its intended for racing and its very expensive.

Yes Lake Speed Jr at JGD has said they're using a mPAO with a 200 VI in the formulation of some of their oils but it's way too heavy to be considered a base oil; better to think of it as a VM.
The bottom line is that none of their oils have especially high finished VIs.
mPAOs are a fine alternative to polymer thickeners but you're not going to be able to formulate 0W oils with them; they're just too heavy.

It's ironic that Exxon Mobil, the source of mPAO oils, takes a different approach in the formulation of M1 0W-30 and 0W-50 race oils which use polymer thickeners and as a result have higher VIs than JGD race oils.

I didn't realise that the mPAOs where that thick so I see what you mean they could only be used in place of polymer thickers. I also didn't know that Chevron Phillips also makes an mPAO it has a lower Pour Point that the EOM mPAO but its a very thick oil as well. Chevron Phillips mPAO

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Yes Lake Speed Jr at JGD has said they're using a mPAO with a 200 VI in the formulation of some of their oils but it's way too heavy to be considered a base oil; better to think of it as a VM.
The bottom line is that none of their oils have especially high finished VIs.
mPAOs are a fine alternative to polymer thickeners but you're not going to be able to formulate 0W oils with them; they're just too heavy.

It's ironic that Exxon Mobil, the source of mPAO oils, takes a different approach in the formulation of M1 0W-30 and 0W-50 race oils which use polymer thickeners and as a result have higher VIs than JGD race oils.

+1

Quote:

Who says?

I think Mola is right, apparently they are using mPAO in all of their oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back