Can you clean a TPS sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the tps on my car is doing funky things, when I'm on the highway, at steady speed I hit the throttle when I need to pass a car, and the car jerks a tiny bit, hesitate.

When I stop and turn of the car and restart, the cumputer throw a lean fuel trim bank 1 sensor 1.

In city driving, the car works perfectly fine.

Its a 08 accent with 125 000 km on it, well maintained, plugs, oil, timing belt, tranny fluid, etc.

Any of you had tps sensor problem before? i heard you can adjust it, and also is the throttle cable tension have something to do with this?

Thanks!

Are there any codes?

Replace the TPS if it's bad. It's a variable potentiometer and it can and will wear out it's contacts in time. The contacts are not so likely to be dirty or tarnished more likely just worn out and not making good contact anymore.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Are there any codes?

Replace the TPS if it's bad. It's a variable potentiometer and it can and will wear out it's contacts in time. The contacts are not so likely to be dirty or tarnished more likely just worn out and not making good contact anymore.

P2096

Yes you can clean it, not sure it will do any good.

I REALLY doubt the problem is cable tension.

Our van was doing the same thing, it ended up being the ignition coil.

Caig Labs "MCL" (moving contact lubricant and cleaner) If that doesn't work, before you buy a new TP sensor, check A/F sensors and ignition. Those A/F sensors in the exhaust manifold usually go about 100K The "after cat" sensor in the pipe after the cat usually lasts longer. When they are just starting to go they often don't set a code.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Caig Labs "MCL" (moving contact lubricant and cleaner) If that doesn't work, before you buy a new TP sensor, check A/F sensors and ignition. Those A/F sensors in the exhaust manifold usually go about 100K The "after cat" sensor in the pipe after the cat usually lasts longer. When they are just starting to go they often don't set a code.

yes, i did put two new o2 sensors recently, the top one was worn, decided to replace both.

Before you replace the TPS try this, it sounds very simple but give it a try.

With the car OFF (key out of the ignition)

place you foot on the accelerator and rapidly put the gas pedal through it's entire range of travel around 5 or 6 times. See if that cleans the contact paths off. It might.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Before you replace the TPS try this, it sounds very simple but give it a try.

With the car OFF (key out of the ignition)

place you foot on the accelerator and rapidly put the gas pedal through it's entire range of travel around 5 or 6 times. See if that cleans the contact paths off. It might.
humm yes i did, but with the key in, on acc, not with the engine on, but i might do it again to see

@wolf:

Make sure you do it very rapidly and perhaps even try 10 times, the idea is to with some heat and friction from the movement you will wear off some of the corrosion or debris that might be on those contacts.

Always wise to do this kind of thing with the car completely off key out of the ignition as well. Really don't want any current traveling through the metal strips.

Why zero in on the TPS?
You could hook up voltmeter or ohmmeter to it and check for smooth uninterrupted readings.
But this could be
SO many other problems or combinations.

unlikely tps is the issue. i'd check intake gaskets an maf for lean codes on a hyundai. when is the freeze frame stored? a/f sensor is not out of the question

also make sure flexpipe has ZERO leakage. this will definitely cause lean codes on this particular car

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Why zero in on the TPS?
You could hook up voltmeter or ohmmeter to it and check for smooth uninterrupted readings.
But this could be
SO many other problems or combinations.

We think alike!

No need throwing parts at the car. Strategy based diagnostics is key in finding your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back