Air compressor takes a long time to build pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody. I have a Central Pneumatic 21 gallon air compressor. I first bought it last year. I later exchanged it for a different one because the cylinder head was turned at a weird angle. The air filter was agaisnt the plastic fan shroud.

Today, I noticed that the new one I currently have takes longer for it to build pressure. I noticed that air was escaping through the vent on the oil fill cap and that there were tiny bubbles in the crankcase. I also hear a rattle. It sounds like rod knock. I think it has alot of blow-by. This was like this since the day I exchanged it. It has never been run low on oil. I only use SAE 30 air compressor oil.

I'm probably just going to exchange it again. I have the 2 year extended warrenty on it. It came in handy once before.
grin.gif

Time to step up to a better brand you get what u pay for is so true in the world of air compressors.

The owner's manual said to let it run for 30 mins. to break it in. I have no idea how much time is on it. I've had it less than a year and I only use it for my air ratchet, die grinder, and tire pressure.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
How much time is on it? My new Quincy came with instructions that said to open the tank bleeder and let it run an hr to seat the rings.

What are some good brands?
Originally Posted By: dave123
Time to step up to a better brand you get what u pay for is so true in the world of air compressors.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot

A small 2HP 20gal. either Ingersoll or Quincy would do great and last a lifetime if you Die grind,fill tires and use a air ratchet is your main use.

Well I'm kinda just starting out. I'll likely get more air tools as time goes on.
Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot

A small 2HP 20gal. either Ingersoll or Quincy would do great and last a lifetime if you Die grind,fill tires and use a air ratchet is your main use.

My advice: don't ever buy a new air compressor. Compressors seem to be one of those things that (some) people buy and don't use, and when they're hard up for cash they unload for cheap. Sometimes, someone else's bad decision is your opportunity...

I just picked up a Craftsman Professional 25 gallon for $200.00. It's the older, 2HP DeVillbiss made version which can be run 120 or 240V. It was about 4 years old and had probably been used for less than 2 hours, so it was basically new. Here's the newer one HERE.. I've already used it for spraying latex paint, grinding and running air nailers, and I'm really impressed; enough that I may ditch my larger compressor. It reaches 150 psi in a little less than 4 minutes, on 120V!

Bottom line, I'd do some research and keep an eye on Craigslist. Personally, I think a belt-drive oil operated compressor in the 25-30 gallon range is right in the sweet spot for most people unless you're using it for a living. It's somewhat portable, fills up quickly, and is "big enough" for most jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back