0W40 in a 0w20 spec vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just traded cars and switched from a AMG mercedes to a Dodge Dakota. Looking at the spec's for the Dakota [4.7 V8] it asks for 0w20. I happen to have a metric ton of 0W40 Euro spec Mobil1 left over from the mercedes, [like 6+ cases] and all of my oil analysis seems to point to this oil being some of the best Mobil1 makes.

Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use the 0w40 in place of the 0w20?

If you can get some very light high VI 0W-20 like the Toyota 0W-20 or even better the Sustina 0W-20 and blend it 50/50 to produce a 0W-30, you're still heavier than necessary but not so much.

Originally Posted By: barrysuperhawk
Er, cool a fill-in-the-blank problem... Let's say $10...

Ditto:

Let's say $10 for 6 cases

Seriously, I'm about to buy 5 quarts and a $12 M1 filter for $30 at Pepboys. It'll be SN.

Is your stock even SM?

So we can get 0w40 in non bulk quantities, fresh SN, for less than $4 a quart, and you want to sell in bulk for $10 a quart?

Perhaps this is the same logic that led you to stash 6 cases worth of it.

Last edited:
No, the point was that I DON'T want to sell it, I want to USE it. I just didn't feel like being kind to a smart-alek that seems to have hi-jacked my thread...

I got it recently [within a month] because I didn't know I was going to trade the AMG, and that [censored] thing took 8.5 LITERS per oil change, so 6 cases wasn't really that much..

No, the point was that I DON'T want to sell it, I want to USE it. I just didn't feel like being kind to a smart-alek that seems to have hi-jacked my thread...

That attitude wont get you many serious responses here
11.gif

Either 50/50 the oil with a light 0w20, use it as is, or sell it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not ideal for that engine, but I see no reason it would hurt anything. I say since you have it on hand, you might as well use it rather than let it go to waste.

Went from a Mercedes to a Dodge Dakota? That should show them Germans!(Daimler once owned Chrysler in a bid to fleece and destroy the company).I would take 5 Dakotas over 1 Mercedes,Dr Z sickens me.

IMHO that is awful heavy for a vehicle spec'd for a 20 wt oil; however if earlier versions were 30 weight it might be fine.

i deffinately wouldnt use the 40wt in cold weather.. in the summer you could blend and get a 30wt that isnt such a big deal.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
IMHO that is awful heavy for a vehicle spec'd for a 20 wt oil; however if earlier versions were 30 weight it might be fine.

Yes, they did. We used to have a Grand Cherokee with the 4.7, which called for 5W-30.

[censored]... Lets get to actual numbers...

M1 0W-40 is a light 40, your engine more then likely happily ran on 5W-30 years ago and probably still could. A 20 weight would be better for fuel economy though. A 40 weight like a 15W-40 HDEO would be brutal in winter and probably even thicker, but because you're talking about a 0W-40 it would probably be just fine. Short trips though would mean the oil would likely stay very thick, and overall it will be pretty brutal on mileage.

But running M1 0W-40 probably wouldn't damage anything. It would just hamper MPG. I've run 0W-40 in my car before, never made a difference (never checked MPG though).

I just traded cars and switched from a AMG mercedes to a Dodge Dakota. Looking at the spec's for the Dakota [4.7 V8] it asks for 0w20. I happen to have a metric ton of 0W40 Euro spec Mobil1 left over from the mercedes, [like 6+ cases] and all of my oil analysis seems to point to this oil being some of the best Mobil1 makes.

Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use the 0w40 in place of the 0w20?

Your location is listed as ""NoWhere"

Are we supposed to guess as to whether you live in a warm climate or cold climate?

Climate does make a difference with this topic.

[[censored]... Lets get to actual numbers...

M1 0W-40 is a light 40, your engine more then likely happily ran on 5W-30 years ago and probably still could. A 20 weight would be better for fuel economy though. A 40 weight like a 15W-40 HDEO would be brutal in winter and probably even thicker, but because you're talking about a 0W-40 it would probably be just fine. Short trips though would mean the oil would likely stay very thick, and overall it will be pretty brutal on mileage.

But running M1 0W-40 probably wouldn't damage anything. It would just hamper MPG. I've run 0W-40 in my car before, never made a difference (never checked MPG though). [/quote]

CAFE be [censored]! (Or darned if the other word is taboo)

You can use the 40 with no problem or you can blend the two. Blending of the oils does not have to be 50/50. Your particular engine pefers a 30 weight anyhow.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
i deffinately wouldnt use the 40wt in cold weather

Why not?

I got it recently [within a month] because I didn't know I was going to trade the AMG, and that [censored] thing took 8.5 LITERS per oil change, so 6 cases wasn't really that much..

So how much do you want for it?

Seriously, registered in 2006 and 4 posts?

So how do you report users for intentionally harassing others, derailing topics trying to extort himself a deal?

barrysuperhawk feel free to try it, its not perfect though, it might eat at your MPG. You can mix with 0W-20 and do CATERHAM's idea, which would give you a good 0W-30 to use.

Ignore the spanner above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back