Reply from Mazda regarding 0w20 Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 99.9% sure the insistence by Mazda (and other OEMs) for using a 0w20 is to meet the certified emissions levels rather than any durability requirement. To be certified at the lowest levels of emissions, the auto OEM's have to show that they're meeting those requirements in the field.. so they need to insist on the enablers for this to the end customer. Meeting the lowest emissions levels benefits the auto OEMs with CARB. It means they can sell other vehicles that don't meet the requirements - like an emissions bank (debit/credit)

With the 0w20 emissions reductions you also get fuel economy benefits.

I was wondering about the 0w20 and I ended up getting a 2012 3i this weekend with the 2.0L skyactiv. I'm guessing it won't be an issue for me. My dealer regularly gives me $25 oil change coupons and they use 0w20 for cars that spec it. I need to find out what they use, though.

Most of their bulk oil 0W-20 (at least around here) seems to be the GF-4, lower VI stuff, at best.
frown.gif

I'm not even sure that the GF-5, high VI/moly stuff is even available in bulk yet.
21.gif

Mazda bulk is made by Castrol. Mazda bottled oil is made by Idemitsu. It is them who make the latest high moly high vi oil for mazda. Im not sure what requirements their bulk oil meets. Has to be at least SM/GF4 since thats what the minimum requirement for the car is.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I was wondering about the 0w20 and I ended up getting a 2012 3i this weekend with the 2.0L skyactiv. I'm guessing it won't be an issue for me. My dealer regularly gives me $25 oil change coupons and they use 0w20 for cars that spec it. I need to find out what they use, though.

How do you like it so far ?
Can you share any pricing details etc ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back