Thoughts on Valvoline SynPower 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small stash of this having gotten 6 gallon jugs of it for a $ each after rebate.

No issues to report. My vehicle seems to prefer QSUD though, but that could be down to any number of factors.

I buy whatever full syn is cheapest (I aim to get it free or a $ after rebates and discounts) so long as it meets spec.

Last edited:
I really like it. I'm not sure if it ever got HTO-06 approved like they said it would. If it did, it would be a great cheap full syn for turbo applications.

I haven't hears or read anything bad about it. It's Valvoline so I expect it is a quality product.
I'm sure there are uoa and maybe voa on it in the uoa section. Try using the search function. I'm sure something will come up.

I think it's a very good oil. From what I understand, it's
a mixture of grp III/IV basestock. Here are some of the specs:

vis@ 40C = 59.5 cSt
vis@ 100C = 10.7 cSt
vis index = 172
pour point = -42C
ccs = 4300 cP @ -30C
TBN = 8.7

I currently run the 5w-20 weight in both my Hondas. Runs great. Should easily get 8k OCI on both vehicles, but i'll do a UOA and see. Plan on switching over to the MaxLife Full synthetic next OCI.

Got a ton of the Synpower years ago for under $1 a quart. Have run it exclusively in my Mazda for the last 5 years or so. Have been using it in my Ford for the last 2 years or so.... Just changed the Ford with it this past weekend after 6500 miles. I have never done a UOA but the ones I have found on the board have looked good.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
I am considering this oil. Was wondering how everybody "likes" it?

Anything Valvoline is cool in my book. I haven't used an oil from them I didn't like. It's in my Santa Fe and runs pretty smooth, in fact probably the smoothest so far.

It turns dark quick which kind of bothers me but I'll only run it out to 7k or so.

Verdict? I like it. A lot.

Synpower SM is a 5K oil in our Forester.
I base this upon a UOA of the third 5K run of Valoline syn from the Forester (VR1 10W-30 then Synpower 5W-30 then Synpower 10W-30).
Wear metals were low, with zero lead, but TBN was down to 2 and small change after only 5K.
Synpower SN might do better.
OTOH, I had a great 4K UOA of my third run of Maxlife from my old BMW.
The oil I UOAed was Nextgen Maxlife SN 10W-40.
TBN held up great, at 5+, while wear metals were almost nothing.
What I'm telling you is that were it my Volvo, I'd maybe try Maxlife 10W-40 on short drains.
If you want to use a syntetic, maybe a good idea with the turbo, PP or M1 are longer lived oils in service at the same price as Synpower, while QSUD is also a better bet at a lower cost.
If you can get the Synpower really cheap on clearance and with MIR, as I did, then try it.
For regular price, I'd use either PP or M1, or I'd grab some QSUD and save a sawbuck.
For a couple of more bucks, there's M1 EP or Ultra.

I've been using Synpower since 1988, unfortunately, it's a VERY expensive oil, I'm sure it's well worth it, but I might have to switch to something else soon if the prices of it keep rising.
AZ wants $8.99/qt. I don't always make it to wallymart for the jug.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
good oil, use with confidence.

Until you UOA it and discover that it can only be used with confidence on fairly short drain intervals.

Valvoline makes some great oils, they are typically fairly light for grade and have an above average VI as well, not to mention consistently turning in excellent UOA wear numbers.

True, it's not a true extended drain oil from what we've consistently seen here. But that is not of concern to many, our UOA section is absolutely swamped with 5k runs of Mobil 1, PP and PU for example.

I know I've contributed to this thread already, but honestly standard Max Life is the winner. It can go long intervals (longer than Synpower) and is cheaper to boot. It is semi-synthetic also (at least the SM versions were, not sure about the new SN).

I do enjoy using Synpower, but would only do so during colder months for flow ability.

In warmer months, Max Life dino all the way!

I have used it before, I liked it. But it is more expensive than other Synthetics @ my walmart for some reason.

Last edited:
Currently used in my Camry. Excellent in winter. I will use maxlife version of syn-blend in summer. My Camry is just turn 150k and burn/leak some oil recently.

Been using the NAPA version of it in 5w20 for the past year.
No issues at all. Good price for the NAPA version too 3.49/qt.
Although its been documented to have a lesser add pack than the Valvoline version, its still good stuff.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I have used it before, I liked it. But it is more expensive than other Synthetics @ my walmart for some reason.

+1 Could never figure out why because PP and Mobil 1 I consider to be better oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back