fuel power and skewed UOAs / wear metals

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I'm a bit confused. I can see the benefit to adding some lubricity to gasoline for the benefit of the fuel pump and injectors. Although there are plenty that have gone hundreds of thousands of miles without issues, I'm sure that in the long-term, problems can be avoided.

I've also seen that the use of fuel additives can skew UOAs, and contribute to higher wear metal content, the reason being speculated by many folks on here.

I am currently using Lucal UCL, waiting for fuel power. I use the additives sparingly, figuring that a very low dose will still provide something, while minimizing the ill effects. However, I am a bit discouraged by the mention of ashing, wear metals, etc from the use of lucas.

I'd like to know what makes fuel power better that my fears can be avoided. Is it simply the dosing level? (I currently add 1oz of lucas UCL/5gals of fuel, similar to fuel power...)

I'd hate to protect my fuel pump and injectors at the expense of wear in my engine. I know my father has 180k on his toyota without ever having a single issue with anything, and the same with my girlfriends 159k acura, mother's 75k plymouth, etc. None have ever seen an additive, all are owned since new, and all have original fuel pumps and injectors, and have had consistent MPG since new (mother and father have recorded every tank).

So, do I have reason for fears? Am I really eeking anything out by using this stuff? Is the long term engine wear worth it? Not just for fuel power (although thats my main focus), but also lucas UCL, techron, etc in the same dosing profile of 1oz/5gals.

Thanks very much,

JMH

That's why, I avoided the lucas UCL rather stick with FP/LC. They are superb job on my jeep, the motor runs smooth and keep upper chamber clean included fuel injectors. I have been on FP/LC since almost a year now.

Even I expiermented on my mow lawn and 2 stroke cycle dirt bike (my nephew). I discovered LC and FP really worked very well. The FP/LC will not skewed UOA and They will reduce the emission for sure. Jeff (LCD from lubecontrol) will tell you.

I have been heard lot negative about the Lucas UCL and I rather stay away. Please dont take my advice and this is my opinion.

Fasty,
That's what this board is for.User impressions of products.Weather it's UOA's or anecdotal evidence.Glad you're getting good results from your purchases!

Mark

[ October 05, 2004, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

JHZR2,
The main benefits of all the products discussed here is simple...to keep the engine as close to new-engine clean as possible. There is no doubt...an engine with clean injector tips, clean intake valve backsides, clean piston ring grooves, runs better. I've noticed the benefit on my 115,000 mile Volvo. It ran well before. After using several of the products mentioned on this forum it just runs better.

Auto-Rx has the added benefit of reconditioning seals. Fuel Power has the added benefit of making the fuel burn slightly better. Lube Control has the added benefit of lengthening the oil's life. Schaeffer's Neutra has the added benefit of making the fuel burn better, plus it is effective in both oil systems and fuel systems. All these products have the main benefit of cleaning, and keeping clean, an engine (transmission, etc.) for best performance.

A used oil analysis can be skewed by the cleaning products picking up old, long-deposited wear particles and holding them in the oil until the oil is drained. They will show in the oil analysis as wear particles, but no analysis will show when the wear occurred.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back