Fuel Power vs. Schaeffer's 131

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does FP compare vs. Neutra? t.d.s, add pack etc.

[ October 05, 2004, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

I'd like somebody to address this too. They are both awesome products in my book. I'm going to guess that FP is a more agressive cleaner since it is solvent based as opposed to Neutra's esther base.

I would love to volunteer to test on my jeep with the neutra. Basically, I don't know where to get the Neutra. The Schaeffer doesn't sell via website online order. I have been using Fuel Power since almost a year now and I would like get Neutra soon when my FP run out in couple month from now.

FP is a fuel system cleaner based on various solvents and lubricants.

Neutra is a solvent based on cresyl acids and butyl-alcohols in a light oil.

Additive packages are non-existent for both.

There are trace amounts of metallics in both.

i love schaeffer's products, excepting the neutra. i seem to be the lone dissenter, though.

i have tried it in my girlfriend's civic, my jetta, my corvette, and my girlfriend's parents' jeep.

no change in the civic after a few tankfuls, my aim was to see if it would clean out the cc and lessen the detonation.

every time i run it in the vette, the drivability is noticeably worse. it doesn't go back to normal until a full tank after i ran it. the first couple of times i thought it was a coincidence, but it's totally repeatable. note, however, this car has a cam with a lot of overlap, so it might be affecting what the oxygen sensor is feeding back to the ecm. it noticeably changes the smell of the exhaust, even.

it made the jeep run like it had a tank of bad gas. hesitation, occasional jerking, etc. went back to normal with the next tank.

no change in the jetta, it was acting like the injectors were a little dirty. i ran 3 bottles through it. about 2 months later i ran one bottle of some cleaner i bought at autozone, and it completely cleared up within 50 miles.

so, i'm not sure what neutra is supposed to do for me, but i think i wasted my money, and am left with about half a case i see no point in using. i'm totally sold on schaeffer's oils, though, with UOAs to prove it.

-michael

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
FP is a fuel system cleaner based on various solvents and lubricants.

Neutra is a solvent based on cresyl acids and butyl-alcohols in a light oil.

There are trace amounts of metallics in both.

How much, if any, will the trace metalics in FP show up in a UOA? Used at 1 oz/qt of oil with 1 oz added each 1000 miles per instructions

I've used Neutra for over a year now and have found that it works very well. Runs smoother and cleans very well--especially through the PCV hose before an oil change to clean out the CC. As stated above, you do need to use more than the FP...I use 3-4oz per 10 gallons. Pricewise they are equal per dosage amount (you need 2x as much 131 as FP). You can also use 131 in the oil which I do as well. I think I may try putting in 2oz per 1000 miles and see how it goes per UOA. I've already got a baseline 7000k mile run so we'll see.

Michael,
Try the Neutra at an ounce per gallon for a tank or two and get past the rough parts. That is typical for the middle of the cleaning process. In all the cases I've heard about, the engine smoothed out better than ever after the rough session.

Ken

Ken I do not run consistently enough to to tests. I have found that neutra boosts mpg 5-10%

I would be happy to pay shipping (even on small non-case quantites) of neutra and if enough interest soy ultra, soy shield, and diesel treat 2000 for testing purposes. IF I was confident test would be ran properly.

[ October 05, 2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: salesrep ]

I noticed the carbon around the metal shell of my plugs cleaned off considerably after running 2 tanks of Mobil 87 treated with Neutra. As far as improving performance or increasing MPG, this I can't substantiate.
In some scans, I did notice the fuel treated with Neutra produced more Knock Retard (about 1-3 degrees more) than without any additive. This may have been caused by carbon getting loosened up in the C.C.s, but after going back to a tank with no additive, the KR remained the same as it was before starting the treatment.

Hmmm...I'd think that Neutra was the more effective cleaner due to the cresyl components. I'd used cresylic acid products to clean baked-on carbon from heavy fuel oil heater tubes. Nothing else I've found works, and Neutra smells the same. But, I haven't tried Fuel Power in the fuel oil heaters. (50 psi steam inside the heater tubes, heavy fuel oil outside the tubes heated to 220°F).

Salesrep,
Do you drive a lot of miles? Repeatable trips where you could run some tests? We need someone who drives a lot of miles on identical trips to make some tests of these products over at least three tanksful. I find Schaeffer's Soy Ultra works about the same as Fuel Power, but half the dosage, one ounce to 12 gallons. Neutra would require higher dosage than Soy Ultra.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back