Calumet to buy Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
They dropped the Synerlec,

No they didn't. They just made a new line and didn't use it because it would not allow current API certification. They still use it in their HPS, XPR, Marine, etc... lines ( I still believe the HPS is basically their old SL formula renamed ). Synerlec has not been dropped.

reduced the ZDDP,

Again, only in the new line formulated to meet current API standards. still plenty of oils with zddp available from RP for those who want it and need it. HPS, XPR, and Marine.

got API certifications,

RP has had API certification for years and years( actually they 1st started offering API certified oils in 1995 ). All they did was create a new line that could meet current API cert requirements. Just as with any oil mfg who wishes to have those cert's you have to reformulate from time to time. Having API certifications available is not new for RP. Actually, they did it right. Instead of just reformulating their old SL stuff to meet the new requirements they created a whole new oil line to do that so they could keep their zddp and synlerec offerings available as well. I see no fault or caving there. All they did was increase their potential cutomer base. Nothing that should decrease it.

and began distributing through big box stores. All of this may have been prep for sale.

Although anything is possible I personally doubt it had anything to do with a sale. RP has been sold through national parts stores for a long time. Loyal RP customers who drive new vehicles have asked RP to offer up oils that meet our warranty requirements ever since API SM came out. FOR YEARS! RP offered a supplemental warranty covering use of their SL oils in SM applications but when SN came out they decided to finally offer up an oil formula that coould be certified to it. However, as already said, it was in addition to and not instead of. Even if the HPS is all new it is a direct replacement then for the old SL formula and offers the same benefits and ingredients.

As far as box stores, if you mean WalMart, RP does not sell to them. WalMart is getting that oil through some other distributor. Directly from RP FAQ section...
Originally Posted By: RP FAQ @ http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/why-rp/faqs/

Q: Why doesn't Wal-Mart have more product?

A: We do not sell directly to Wal-Mart. Any product that is being sold to them is being sold without our knowledge or involvement.

Time will tell, but I expect this move could prove quite positive for RP.

We can only hope so.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification - I have not really been following RP. With a $335 million price tag, they certainly have grown a lot since I called on them many years ago, and must be doing something right.

Tom NJ

This is a reply from someone who works for RP:

Quote:
This is a good thing. This company was also a similar family run company that only went public several years ago, and has a great track record so far investing and improving the companies they have bought.
We have history with them already since we have been buying base oils from them for a while now.
They are very excited about this buy for a number of reasons and view us as their new flag ship company. They mentioned they were not going to change anything for quite sometime as they are wanting to watch and learn for a while.
We are growing quite fast and having Calumet cash investments available will likely make this an even more substantial and exciting period of growth.

Some are a little aprihensive but most think it is going to be a good thing.

Hello, WHAT A GREAT THREAD! Years ago I called the RP company and a rep was very straightforward in telling me that they bought their base stock from Mobil. One can conclude that these blending companies are heavily dependent on niche retail sales. Things to learn include how seriously Calumet intends to sell bottled oil products and how much overlap there is in the various brands. Do they have a plan yet? Can they tailor their products to meet manufacturer's specific warranty "threats" ? Do they even want to? I'll be looking for changes in RP bottles for the foreseeable future. Kira

I don't think RP has much to worry about with respect to warranty concerns these days, at least with most North American and Japanese vehicles. They do have SN/GF-5 oils in the requisite grades. They don't have a dexos1 license, but do claim to meet the specification. If someone wants a synthetic SN/GF-5 oil, RP will work fine. If they're concerned about an actual dexos1 license or genuine MB/VW/BMW approvals, that's another matter.

If they retain their motorcycle oils, perhaps they will get it certified JASO/MA2. I won't run any oil unless it meets this and the last time i looked at their oil containers it didn't have any certification listed.

really great thread. Guess we need to stay tuned... picking up 5 quarts tommorrow at AAP. Got marine 2 stroke, marine gear lube and rear diff gear lube on my shopping list for next spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back