GOIL - Why isn't it more popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: DanMiller
I think you can use them to tell if an oil is good or not, M1 has consistently high wear numbers higher than most oils. I have personally never seen a bad one for G-Oil

No, you can't. That's not their purpose. They are designed to show you contamination and point out any potential issues like a bearing failure, coolant ingress....etc. You cannot contrast minute variances in PPM to determine which oil is "better" or even protecting "better".

From what I have learned I would agree with this statement.
You can use oil analysis to measure a certain oils performance in a specific engine,and compare different oils in that very same engine but because there are slight differences in engines even an identical engine will have different wear numbers because they aren't exactly the same.
A uoa is great to compare an oils performance then establish trends in that specific motor,but because everyone drives different and conditions are different it's really tough to group them all together.
And I'm not a mobil fan whatsoever however the whole comparing uoa with different engines and that mobil shows higher metals is minutiae as far as I'm concerned.
Yes,if the difference was hundreds of ppm well then yes it's something to consider however 10ppm difference wouldn't cause me to lose sleep.
I dont like mobil as a company and yes I hold a bias however I don't think using any of their products will extend or shorten the life of any engine when an adequate service schedule is implemented.
Just my opinion.

If you can't use UOA that how are we to determine what oils are good for our engine ? Are we to trust the marketing of the company or go with a gut feel ? It that is true I may as well just by the cheapest oil I can find.

Last edited:
If you can't use UOA that how are we to determine what oils are good for our engine ? Are we to trust the marketing of the company or go with a gut feel ? It that is true I may as well just by the cheapest oil I can find.

Use whatever oil meets the requirements of your vehicle in the way of certifications and approvals.

That's the short answer.

The long answer:

Outside of doing tear down testing (which I can only think of one board member off the top of my head who actually did this on an appropriate scale, over the required amount of miles and using the proper controls and procedures, and that's Doug Hillary) you can't.

UOA's are a tool designed to allow you to determine how long a lubricant can safely be used. This is a part of properly establishing a lubricant-life based OCI. They are an essential part of the process of implementing extended drains and many of them need to be performed in order to establish a trend... And this is for ONE vehicle! Each vehicle or piece of equipment needs to have its own analysis done, as every engine wears differently and operating conditions can have a significant effect on the life of the lubricant.

The other purpose of a UOA is to act as a warning marker for potential problems. A spike in wear metals can mean a particle streak or a failing component. Watching the trend to see if it goes back down or continues will allow a user to determine whether the piece of equipment then needs to be torn into for examination and repair or not.

They can also tell you if you have an intake tract leak (spike in silicon), coolant ingestion....etc.

They are extremely useful. They just aren't meant to do what many on here try and use them for, and that's to determine what is the "best" oil.

Well I disagree that they can't be used to determine which oils are better. I would agree that you can't take one and read to much into it but you can tell that trends are if you look at enough of them. I also find the posters that show multiple UOAs over a long period of time very interesting to read. IMO you can use them to tell what oils are better than others.

Last edited:
Not to go off topic, but I'm very happy with G-Oil 5W-30 in my Grand Marquis. It's the old formulation, but the engine seems to love the stuff.
thumbsup2.gif

My only concern, however, is the lower TBN compared to what I was running with our high sulfur gas. If I could justify the $12.77/quart for shorter intervals (I do 6,250 miles), I'd absolutely continue using it.

Hi thanks it actually gets us back on topic, I am glad you are happy with the G-OIL ! I was told recently by a BITOG expert that its better to keep the oil in for longer intervals too short and you are waisting money.

Well I disagree that they can't be used to determine which oils are better. I would agree that you can't take one and read to much into it but you can tell that trends are if you look at enough of them. I also find the posters that show multiple UOAs over a long period of time very interesting to read. IMO you can use them to tell what oils are better than others.

Give a read through these three links:

1. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/
2. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis/
3. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

I'm assuming you haven't already based on your stance on the subject.

OVERKILL and DanMiller I hope you both appreciate the irony of going on about an oil that isn't even available in Canada.
G-Oil Technologies do sell their two stroke and four stroke utility oils here (Cdn Tire carries them at rediculous prices) but not their PCMOs.

Originally Posted By: BlueLesPaul2006
This thread really has me wondering. I normally use PP but this G-oil looks like it could be something to try. Im driving a 2012 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6L V6 so its not a super high performance engine.

This may have been covered but how would it compare to the cleaning ability or ability to keep the engine clean like PP?

I will kindly ask again. How would this G oil compare to PP for cleaning and keeping clean?

Yes it is ironic, I just hope they stick around long enough to start selling the PCMO in Canada I am pulling for them to make it big. It is 2 hours to the closed US Walmart for me so not a big deal.

Read them all what is your point... I know what your point is how do you determine what a good oil it by Price ?

Last edited:
Yes it is ironic, I just hope they stick around long enough to start selling the PCMO in Canada I am pulling for them to make it big. It is 2 hours to the closed US Walmart for me so not a big deal.

G-Oil 5W-30 is an interesting lard based oil but with a rather average VI of 170 it doesn't thrill me to death.

The vegetable based RLI 0W-20 (178 VI, HTHSV 3.0-3.3cP) and 0W-30 (193 VI, HTHSV 3.6-3.8cP) is available in Ontario for a reasonable price and it interests me more.

Yes RLI seems like a great product but it is even harder to get for me, GOIL / RLI both great products that need more exposure IMO, both 100% American Companies. I hope they both do well.

Read them all what is your point... I know what your point is how do you determine what a good oil it by Price ?

If you know what my point is, why asking what my point is?
crazy2.gif

Anyway, that one is easy. For the big name oils, it would be the one with the most certifications/hardest to obtain certifications. The oil that meets the most demanding specs is going to be the "best". Now whether or not that's overkill for your situation, well, that all depends on what you drive.

When it comes to the boutique stuff, figuring it out is a lot more difficult and I'm not sure how one would go about trying quite frankly.

So any oil that is SN GF-5 so the cheapest one you can find then ?

That's just the basic API cert.

The manufacturer certs are the ones I like.

But you can't go wrong if it meets the specs for your vehicle. So if all your vehicle requires is an oil meeting SM, SN will be just fine
smile.gif

what manufacturer certs are you referring to I am not aware of any can you give example ?

Honda has HTO-06, which is a high heat deposit control test.
BMW has LL-01, which is an extended drain performance test.
GM has DEXOS 1/2 but used to have a "Corvette" spec that required a synthetic to be met.

Mercedes, Audi, VW, Porsche....etc, they all have their own certifications for oils.

These are all above and beyond the API and ACEA certs. The "most decorated" oils; the ones bearing the greatest numbers of manufacturer certs and approvals are the Euro oils. M1 0w40, PU 5w40, 0w40, Castrol "GC" 0w30....etc.

Hi ok sorry I thought you ment Oil Company standards, I have heard of Dexos , yes GC 0w30 is a good oil as is PU ( Penzoil Ultra ? ) and I am guessing M1 0w40 is make to a higher standard then their other oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back