hy-per lube zinc replacement additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I read the Viscosity Charts but don't I need to know the temp ?

The kinematic viscosities at 40 and 100C are listed on the left side of the chart.

I think the Schaeffer 132 is a good bit more viscous product and contains more Antimony anti-wear compounds than Moly, from what I have read. It supposedly contains some type of polymerized esters in it's mix as well, which i am sorta guessing is the type of compound they call their "Penetro" component. I think the Schaeffers cost me about $5 or $6 or so a bottle (by the case) and I have used it to beef up the anti-wear and viscosity of lesser oils. I think it helped a bit with the oil consumption on the 2001 Isuzu Trooper I put it in this summer with some older Castrol Syntec 10W-40 we were trying to use up. I actually would rather use Schaeffer oil instead of using additives to beef up other oils, but in this case it worked well. Got that 5 qt jug of Syntec 10W-40 on clearance at WM a few years back and it was just sitting around getting dusty. Haven't used the Hyperlube stuff yet. With the Schaeffers oil, I really don't see a need for it.

As far as I know from speaking with their techs, this stuff has NO particulate type AW, or FM additives AT ALL in it.

It is TOTALLY the aforementioned KetJenLube (#9233 I believe?), polymer ester compound.

Quote:
There is one oil mfg that's using these esters with PAO and has no ZDDP whatsoever.

Quote:
So that nameless company is using something similar to this additive to eliminate the use of a different anti-wear compound.

It is no secret.

Do a search on "FUCHS."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilNerd
Be careful if you use zddplus, as it is VERY concentrated.

I was playing around with it and SuperTech Full Syn and got Zn 1859 and 1860 ppm on two batches, when mixed 60ml to 5 quarts.
crazy2.gif

wow that is strong.

I added 30 ml only of zddpmaxx to 4.5 quarts recently to a baseline of 990 ppm of zinc.
Without testing I'm assuming it wouldn't raise it more than 1500 ppm.

(FYI - no high zinc level oils here where I live and I can't import any so an additive was the only option)

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
There is one oil mfg that's using these esters with PAO and has no ZDDP whatsoever.

Quote:
So that nameless company is using something similar to this additive to eliminate the use of a different anti-wear compound.

It is no secret.

Do a search on "FUCHS."

Mola; is this what is in their Titan GT1 XTL 0W-20 brew??

I was looking at the hyper-lube zinc replacement MSDS, and it says that the freezing point is
What happens if this stuff is mixed with regular 5w-30 oil when the temperatures drop below the freezing point? Does it stay in suspension, rise to the surface, sink to the bottom, or something else? Could it plug up the oil screen? I would think that once it gets to the oil pump gears, the mechanical force of the gears would raise the oil above its freezing point.

Being a polymer ester it is very miscible which means goes into suspension and stays there.

It does not appreciably affect the oil's viscosity at cold temps.

Here is a way to show yourself this works. Put about 2.5 oz. of Hyperlube in a quart of 5W30 oil. Bring it inside and mix it. Set it ouside and compare it to a non-additized quart of 5W30 oil, same manf.

Tell us what you see.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I just re-read this thread. I'm significantly more interested in this stuff.

Yes, I just re-read it myself. May use this or Lubegard next time.

When I put LubeGard BioTech in my new to me Saturn SC2 with 156,000 miles, I noticed a definitive "freeing up" of the engine. It's hard to explain, but it was almost like revving up the engine in Neutral vs revving it up in gear, if you know what I mean??

I used it in few flat tappet engines, I used the Red-line BI add too. Both seemed OK, RL was easier for me to get though.-RD

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Being a polymer ester it is very miscible which means goes into suspension and stays there.

It does not appreciably affect the oil's viscosity at cold temps.

Here is a way to show yourself this works. Put about 2.5 oz. of Hyperlube in a quart of 5W30 oil. Bring it inside and mix it. Set it ouside and compare it to a non-additized quart of 5W30 oil, same manf.

Tell us what you see.

I may try this. I have some gsud in clear bottles. Now i know that in older posts you have suggested that with schaeffers 132, you only need 5 or so ounces as an antiwear. How much of this is necessary? They suggest a quart with 4-5 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back