hy-per lube zinc replacement additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Hi I just read that Hy-per Lube was started by Howard Hilton in the 1950's and there is a Howard Hilton that is President on Internation Lubricatants Inc ( Lubegard ) It could be there is no relation today but it interesting...

Where did you read that?

Frank Erickson is the founder and CEO of ILI.

What IS interesting is that both companies are headquarted in Seattle.

However, Seattle has been know to be the home of many entrepeneurs.

Last edited:
No. I never got any uoa done. It was before I even knew they existed,before I knew of this site.
Maybe next year,since I still have some however my mustangs new engine will not be much of a test mule considering as soon as I fire the engine I'm going to use cera-tec,then on the next oil change a bottle of mos2,then half a can of mos2 until the next cera-tec treatment is due.
Going to do the same in the Harley,maybe I can use my winter truck as a test mule however it only gets used when the snow flies. And I've already used mos2 in it,with a fuel economy increase.
Now that I've found mos2 I don't know that I need to use anything else. Mos2 is also cheaper per treatment than the hyper lube.
If someone wants to do a run of this stuff in their vehicle as a test subject I'll mail them a bottle,if they will post their personal results as in a before and after type deal.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
No. I never got any uoa done. It was before I even knew they existed,before I knew of this site.
Maybe next year,since I still have some however my mustangs new engine will not be much of a test mule considering as soon as I fire the engine I'm going to use cera-tec,then on the next oil change a bottle of mos2,then half a can of mos2 until the next cera-tec treatment is due.
Going to do the same in the Harley,maybe I can use my winter truck as a test mule however it only gets used when the snow flies. And I've already used mos2 in it,with a fuel economy increase.
Now that I've found mos2 I don't know that I need to use anything else. Mos2 is also cheaper per treatment than the hyper lube.
If someone wants to do a run of this stuff in their vehicle as a test subject I'll mail them a bottle,if they will post their personal results as in a before and after type deal.

PM sent.

Originally Posted By: DanMiller
What brand of Mos2 did you use Lubro Moly ?, I tried it (Lubro Moly ) and I didn't notice any differences to be fair I didn't leave it in that long. Also how much did you use ?

I used the liqui-moly brand. You have to leave it in for the whole interval. It takes time to plate the metal surfaces and needs heat and pressure to work.
In my experience with mos2 fuel economy was unaffected until the 3rd tank of fuel. I keep track of mileage of every tank of fuel in all of my vehicles. My mustang and truck both saw a mileage increase of 1km per liter of fuel averaged over the entire tank.
I've got multiple iPhone apps to calculate mileage. I always calculate it on fuel put in against kms driven.
While driving to BC I got 650kms from a single tank of fuel all highway in the truck. Average was always 450 with mixed city/highway.
It is noticeable when I don't use the mos2. If I use it,then run out the interval,then new oil with no mos2 fuel mileage gradually declines back to 450 a tank by the end of the untreated oils change interval. It works well enough that everytime I see it I buy it because it's very hard to find.

I found it (Lubro Moly) in Winnipeg in my local NAPA , I had to ask for it as they keep in in the back and not out on display. I think it was around $8 for 10oz (300 ML ) . I have read that some people only use around 2 OZs ( 60 ML ) per oil change.

Last edited:
That link didn't work for me.

I looked at some HyperLube at our local O'Reilly's yesterday and it appears to be about a 35 cSt oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
That link didn't work for me.

I looked at some HyperLube at our local O'Reilly's yesterday and it appears to be about a 35 cSt oil.

At the top of the page, next to the word GOOGLE, it will say "what is polymer Ester Oil." Click on the blue box with the magnifying glass icon. The google search page will come up, and the first thing listed is a purple book. Click on that and it will bring up the right page. The Polymer Ester is under section 5.3.3. You may need to scroll up the page a little.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DanMiller
I am no expert but what I read is that the Polymer Esters in the Book show they are an effective anti wear oil.

Alright. I wonder at what ratio it has to be to be effective,and what kind of wear reduction is to be expected,and how long is it effective for.

Last edited:
Chemically speaking, these esters are co-polymers of alphaolefins and dicarboxylic acids which are esterified with various alcohols and are shear-stable and virtually smokeless.

I have spoken about these esters previously as those esters which aid in the reduction of ZDDP content and do not show up in VOA/UOA's.

There is one oil mfg that's using these esters with PAO and has no ZDDP whatsoever.

Last edited:
I have read that Ketjenlube is used in German Castrol 0W30 I am not sure how true that is but I read it in a few places. It sounds like Hy-per Lube Zinc Replacement is a safe product to use they recomment 12oz per 4-6 quarts I am not sure if adding more would benefit or not ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Chemically speaking, these esters are co-polymers of alphaolefins and dicarboxylic acids which are esterified with various alcohols and are shear-stable and virtually smokeless.

I have spoken about these esters previously as those esters which aid in the reduction of ZDDP content and do not show up in VOA/UOA's.

There is one oil mfg that's using these esters with PAO and has no ZDDP whatsoever.

Now that is interesting info.
So that nameless company is using something similar to this additive to eliminate the use of a different anti-wear compound.
The more info that comes up on this stuff the more I think I'd like to have a used oil analysis done with this stuff in the oil.
Maybe I'll test mule my mustang next year. I tracked the car on test and tune nights here and ran the street legals,so I don't know that I could get consistent info to compare it against because each interval may or may not see track time.
Dermapaint offered to try it out however he wasn't interested in sending a sample in for analysis.
The new mustang engine hasn't been treated with anything yet so it would be the perfect candidate,because no mos2 in it yet possibly skewing the results.
K boys. I'll run it in my mustang next spring. Blackstone must have universal averages for a ford 4.6 4v so I'll run an interval of pyb and this stuff and compare it to the universal averages that blackstone has for this engine and we can see whether it benefits anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back