Nu Finish NFP-80 Soft Paste Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished waxing the Nissan. Used Nu Finish NFP-80 Soft Paste Wax which was highly rated by Consumer Reports.

It didn't go on very good. I used a standard sponge applicator pad. It was almost as if the wax was too slippery to stay on the car.

Then, when wiping it off, it left areas that look like water spots. They were little spots of hardened wax that didn't rub off unless you really put some elbow grease into it.

I never had these issues when I used Meguiar's Gold Class. Has anyone else experience this before, with Nu-Finish or other?

I used the paste a while back and my experience was similar to yours. It did not apply evenly and streaked terribly. Looked like cottage cheese in a can. Never had that problem with the liquid.

Just goes to show CR doesnt know what its talking about.They have had their backsides spanked in the past because their "experts" werent really experts at testing.I dont believe a word they say.

I have had trouble with the NuFinish Paste Wax on newer, darker paint jobs. It is hard to buff off and leaves a film usually. I would rather pay the extra for some Collinite 845 for an easier to use, more "enduring" wax.

BTW: I have had good experiences with NuFinish on older and/or lighter vehicles and had very good luck with it and feel it is a good quality product. I don't want to seem like I am bashing NuFinish.

I've never had problems applying it. I've used a wetted microfiber cloth. The main problem is that I put way too much on.

Then if you leave it on too long, it is very hard to get off. But again, I never had any problem getting it off with a different, dry and clean microfiber cloth.

So my main problem is over applying, letting it dry too long and having to work hard to get it off.

But that is my fault for not following instructions. Last time I used it, I ended up using an entire can of wax on a single car (which was a convertible so that's even worse!)

But, with a car that is usually garaged, such an application lasts for several years, it washes really easily, I'm not worried if I forget to wash the car as the protection is so thick, and the wheels clean off really easily.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I have no experience with the paste, but the liquid is great. I recently used it on my Honda and I am happy with it.

Consumer Reports said paste is better than liquid. In fact, in general for all waxes, they found paste is better than liquid.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I have no experience with the paste, but the liquid is great. I recently used it on my Honda and I am happy with it.

Consumer Reports said paste is better than liquid. In fact, in general for all waxes, they found paste is better than liquid.

Too bad Consumer Reports didn't review any high quality consumer grade products like Collinite 845 liquid Insulator wax, it's better than most paste waxes out there, by far. But then again, I think they were targeting the OTC soccer mom crowd, you know, the people that think spending $15 on a quality wax to protect your vehicles finish and make it look great is way too much.
cool.gif

Looking at the bottom of the tin, Nu-Finish has a money back guarantee. All I have to do is returned the unused portion to the place of purchase for a full refund. So I'll be taking this back to O'Reilly.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I would rather pay the extra for some Collinite 845 for an easier to use, more "enduring" wax.

Collinite 845, eh Matt? Maybe I'll try that come spring. I also need to find a good cleaner to use beforehand. The Nissan will be close to 5 years old then and I should probably give it some added TLC and thoroughly clean any contaminants off its finish.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Looking at the bottom of the tin, Nu-Finish has a money back guarantee. All I have to do is returned the unused portion to the place of purchase for a full refund. So I'll be taking this back to O'Reilly.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I would rather pay the extra for some Collinite 845 for an easier to use, more "enduring" wax.

Collinite 845, eh Matt? Maybe I'll try that come spring. I also need to find a good cleaner to use beforehand. The Nissan will be close to 5 years old then and I should probably give it some added TLC and thoroughly clean any contaminants off its finish.

Use some Duragloss 501 in the spring to wax the car as it is good at cleaning.

I just used some of the paste Nu Finish today on the winter beater audi for the [censored] of it. It went on easy with a thin coat and it seemed to flash really fast. I just did half of a panel and wiped off right away. The product came off with ease then. This was on black paint.

Using too much product is the culprit. Application should be so thin you must strain your eyes to see if there is any on the paint. Also a damp applicator is a must.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Using too much product is the culprit. Application should be so thin you must strain your eyes to see if there is any on the paint. Also a damp applicator is a must.

+1 Bingo

Paste or liquid.....proper paint prep is the key.
A really good wash, then a clay bar treatment will make any wax go on much easier, come off easier and dazzle.

Now NuFinish vs Brand XYZ has been discussed here to death!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back