Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 - 40-50% PAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSDS from Mobil.com. This is from the Japan site and the most recent MSDS is from June of 2012.

Based on the MRV #'s, and high temperature ability of the AFE oil, I am not surprised it's 50% PAO, the rest Grp III+.

*You can find Toyota "Castle SN 0w20", which may be TGMO in Japan? That MSDS says it's mostly Group III.

Quote:
Hazardous Substance(s) or Complex Substance(s) required for disclosure
Name CAS# Concentration* GHS Hazard Codes
1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 40 - 50% H304
SEVERELY HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE 64742-54-7 30 - 40% H304
SOLVENT DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE 64742-65-0 1 - 5% H304

We've always know that AFE 0W-20 and 0W-30 for that matter must be PAO based in large part to acheive their very low MRV spec's although the SN version is not as low as the earlier SM oils.

Since Mobil has moved away from PAO/ester to formulate the current version of M1 0W-40 in favour of GP III/AN, I wouldn't be surprised if Mobil decides to go the same route with their AFE oils at some point.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
We've always know that AFE 0W-20 and 0W-30 for that matter must be PAO based in large part to acheive their very low MRV spec's although the SN version is not as low as the earlier SM oils.

Since Mobil has moved away from PAO/ester to formulate the current version of M1 0W-40 in favour of GP III/AN, I wouldn't be surprised if Mobil decides to go the same route with their AFE oils at some point.

So which is better? 100% PAO or 50%? I guess that's like AFE vs Amsoil

I had a little back and forth with some guy in another thread about AFE vs other M1 offerings.
My contention was that the metallic adds as seen in an XOM PDS were only a part of the story and that AFE had a superior basestock blend, based upon its cold temperature specs as well as UOAs seen here.
Nice to have some confirmation.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
As long as an oil performs, who really cares what is in it?

+1. Doesn't matter much.

I really like AFE 0w-20, just wish I was not sitting on 6 OCI's worth of oil, only one change is going to be AFE. But all the others will do the job just fine.

Not suprised at all, as said, to have MRV that is does, it would have to have a good chunk of PAO in it.

A fill of this is going in the Tribute in the next couple of weeks precicely because of the cold-weather ability of this oil.

The Honda runs pretty much the same regardless of brand, but the SN 0w20/30 are the two best in terms of keeping the engine quiet on very cold starts. Lowest oil consumption with the 0w20. That performed no different from what I remember.

0w30:

Quote:
1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 10 - 20% H304
SEVERELY HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE 64742-54-7 30 - 40% H304
SOLVENT DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE 64742-65-0 1 - 5% H304

Looks like regular M1 5w30 also contains PAO.

Quote:
1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 20 - 30% H304
ORGANO MOLY-SULFUR COMPLEX 0.1 - 1% H315, H317, H402, H412
POLYOLEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE 147880-09-9 1 - 5% H413

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: JasonC
As long as an oil performs, who really cares what is in it?

+1. Doesn't matter much.

Kind of makes this whole site null and void with that comment? haha Kidding

Last edited:
It's really just for the purists that have to know or try to guess the base oils being used. LOL.

Nothing new here as this has been posted before. It's what XOM has always said, they use high performance synthetic base oils.

It is interesting that some MSDS list additives but not all of the base oil and others list base oil and not the additives.

If you want to read the data sheets yourself, follow the link below and select Japan as your country. You can choose English as the display language. The files are MSWord, not pdf.

http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/psims/psims.aspx

I'm not at all convinced that the oils listed for Japan are the same as, or even similar to, the oils available in the USA.

Originally Posted By: buster
It's most likely the same global formula.

Why would you make that assumption? Are they blended in the same place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back