Good 4-banger exhaust for deep throaty sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice...it's good it exits outside like that. A lot of people dump it under the truck, but I think it's better to have it exit away from the vehicle even if the risk of a problem is slim.

I had one that exited under the truck and started getting headaches (volume or was it CO2?).

The new Ranger exhaust in the video is 2.5" from manifold, then goes 2" from the joint just after the cat. He ran the 2" into a 2.5" muffler (you can see all the welding fill). I wanted 2" to maintain bottom end power. But he went 2.5" muffler and tail pipe.

Runs fine, no power loss and seems like more bottom end, at least after my last mod, which was a 2" pipe inserted into the tail pipe about 6" so that I have it sticking about 1/3 the way across the bore at the bend, thereby restricting it some and creating turbulence. This notably reduced interior drone and made it better, but I suspect it is still a tad overly loud outside. Rolled down right side window and it did sound pretty loud.

I would have gone a 50 series, but he just did it. Actually I love it, but the only drawback is it seems more appropriate sound wise for a truck with 300 hp. Look at my vid, i was driving all out and it goes from 15 mph to 70 mph taking about 14 seconds, not quick by any means. It is a ton of fun though and that is what it's all about. I am not into racing anyway.

Originally Posted By: morris
i remember seeing raceing chrysler 426 hemis, in the late 60s. that was highly modded to what was called a FLAT crank. which made the engine in to two, 4 cyl engines. it had a VERY odd sound.

Many European V8 engines have a flatplane crankshaft. They all sound much different from the usual V8 with the crossplane crankshaft.

Actually, only Ferrari and a few very small niche manufacturers use flat-plane crank V8s in their street cars. Flat-plane crank V8s are extremely common in racing, though (e.g. all Formula 1 cars have them).

Might be too late, but I really like the Hooker Aero Chamber on 4 cylinders. You can tone it down a bit more with a simple glasspack in front of it. I ran this set up on a Ford Probe for sometime. Not rice, very deep, not obnoxious.

I like the sound of your last youtube clip, seems like a good sound for WO and then quieted down nicely. What's the redline of the motor? Seems like it could be revved out a bit more.

Sound is good in that clip, but it does not quiet down. After a couple hundred miles it got louder until it has a drone like sound torture. It is way too loud. I am having the shop change it out for the Dynomax that I had asked for in the first place. Whole story is in this thread.

Don't know the redline. Ford just likes 6000 rpm tachs I guess. But I think it redlines around 6000 as I hit the rev limiter about there or shortly above. But the power band from the sales brochure combined with my gear rations would have me shifting at 5500 1-2, then at 5000 for 3 and 4 to get maximum acceleration. No matter. It is not quick at all, just fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back