Two Stroke Oil added to Diesel Fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diesel fuel has lubricity additives mixed into it at the refinery just for the purpose you describe. It isn't the sulfur that provided the lubricity, but the process of removing the sulfur also removed much of the lubricity.

Most folks run many hundreds of thousands of miles on plain diesel fuel right from the pump. Of all the home-brew stuff to add to fuel, the 2-cycle oil is probably the least harmful.

As **** said, why not buy an additive that adds lubricity, improves the fuel's cetane rating, and in winter provides antigel? You'll probably get more for your money.

Ken

Talked to fellow Dodge Cummins owner other day. He suggests adding a two stroke oil to diesel tanks for lubrication of pumps, especially the new Cummins electric pumps, good for my mechanical one two on my older diesel.
Apparently, diesel is not as heavy duty now as it was a decade ago, less sulfur for lubrication, two stroke oil has these lubricants and will lengthen pump and accessory's life. Also some claim to get 10-15% better fuel economomy in their diesels with two stroke oil.
He learned this from loggers in B.C. Canada, they use their chainsaw two stroke oil in their big logging diesel trucks. They swear by it. This fellow has been using it in his newer Cummins and I just put some in my 92, cant see how it can hurt a diesel, this stuff mixes with gas, why not with diesel, it is an oil like diesel.
Anyone heard using two stroke oil in diesel, if so, what kind is best?
Cyprs

I believe I read somewhere, quite possibly here, that Redline 85 Plus contains an ashless two stroke lube, as well as the cetane boost and detergents.

Rick.

I have used some additives, I have wondered if they may be a little harsh. Two stroke oil makes sense considering it is an oil too. I have heard diesel is lighter now than it once was, two stroke oil is an equalizer from what I hear. If anyone is using two stroke in their diesel, what is your ratio, I am currently at 1 to 350 in ratio, sound right? What is suggested?

Cyprs

Not sure of a hard ratio, but 1 to 300 (or so) ratio of a good ashless 2 stroke oil is not a bad idea.

No need to do this if you use a good diesel additive, but again not a bad idea....

I use 1 ounce to 3 gallons of diesel fuel. I am not sure if their is an official recommendation.

My brew is: 12 ounces of 2-cycle oil (TCW-III)
24 ounces of Soy Shield (Schaeffer's)
Mix it all together and add 1 ounce
of the brew to every gallon of fuel.

I will not attest to any mileage gains or better running, but my feel good is worth it to me. In my other diesel, I use FP only.

Thanks, Glad to here I am in ratio range and I'll get my calculater out and figure out ounces to milliters and gallons to litres for a brew ratio. Never seen Soy Shield up here in Can, what is the base of this stuff, there maybe a sister product under different lable up here?

Cyprs

This is a link to the Schaeffer's Soy Shield: http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/139.pdf

Also you can use Lube Control at the rate of one ounce per 5 gallons and 1 ounce of 2 cycle TCW-III per 3 gallons. http://www.lubecontrol.com/

The reason I use 2 cycle in the mix is I drain the oil injection reservoir each year on my boats. Rather than dispose of the oil, I use it in the mix for my diesel. And with 3 boats that is alot of 2 cycle oil. Do I need to do this? No, but with the high humidity here, I do it anyhow. Plus it is an excuse to use 2 cycle in my diesel fuel.

I can take pictures of my glow plugs removed at 60K on one truck and show you there is no build up on any of them.(minimal). In fact I am keeping them for spares as both trucks use the same one. So at the worst the 2-cycle (TCW-III) does not do any harm that I can see and oil analysis are always normal.

smile.gif

[ September 15, 2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Thanks 59 Vetteman, I will check out the links, use your ratio and take your word for it on the glow plugs. I think this two cycle is a good idea too, I am told it is adds life to fuel pumps and increases performance, I haven't used it long enough to see if it increases fuel economy. All these loggers in B.C. using their chainsaw two stroke oil in their diesels cant be wrong either. thanks.
Cyprs

I have been adding a quart of tcw3 oil per full tank of fuel for 50k now. After my first injection pump when out at 50k I am alittle nervous about adequite pump lubrication.
BTW the motor is a 5.9 Cummins

I read this thread and it got me thinking that 2-stroke oil may be a good fuel system lubricant to use in diesel engines. I did a google search and on this webpage: http://www.valtra.com/common_sites/commoneng/news/ValtraNews/emissions.htm I found the following paragraph in the discussion:

"Adding motor oil or two-stroke oil in diesel liquid fuel is not recommended. The lubricating oil is heavy in hydrocarbons, which increases carbon build-ups when burned, and its lubricating additive agents are not necessarily suitable for the lubrication of fuel injection devices. In addition, two-stroke oil easily mixes with any possible water in the tank and washes it away, increasing the risk of damage to the fuel injection devices."

So, it seems that any lubication benefit for the pumps and injecters can be offset by the greater chance of damage from water. Also, the higher carbon deposits would most likely seem to lead to sticking rings down the road since that is what carbon deposits tend to end up doing in diesel engines.

Hammer

Hammer - that sounds a bit....sketchy...

1) Heavy in hydrocarbons....huh?
2) We are talking about dilution ratios that are far less concentrated than in spark gas 2-strokes
3) I doubt at those treat rates, there will be any excess water pick-up.....

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Hammer - that sounds a bit....sketchy...

1) Heavy in hydrocarbons....huh?
2) We are talking about dilution ratios that are far less concentrated than in spark gas 2-strokes
3) I doubt at those treat rates, there will be any excess water pick-up.....

I am no means an expert but to answer your first question, I think they are referring to both motor oil and 2-stroke oil are heavier weight than diesel fuel. I would like to point out too that two stroke oil does a nice job of laying deposits on spark plugs in two stroke engines so, who's to say it won't leave deposits in a diesel engine? And Yes, we are talking about smaller dilution rates, but that doesn't mean that deposits won't form. As far as the water thing goes, I'd rather not take the chance. I've read what water can to do injector tips, I'd rather not experiment. I think there are purpose built additives that will do the job and not have to worry about the "possible" consequences.

Hammer

Hammer,

You hit on a key point of water in the diesel fuel. I run a Dahl fuel/water separator prior to the factory fuel/water separator. So I have two fuel/water separators in series.

I am not an expert in diesel fuels, but my understanding is that the heavier diesel fuel has a higher btu content. It depends where the refinery takes the cut of fuel from.

smile.gif

I've never heard of 2 stroke oil absorbing water. They don't add alcohol to it, do they? That's the only way I can see it mixing with the water.

Also, in a properly functioning two stroke, you won't get deposits. The spark plugs in my weedwhacker and blower, both 2 stroke, come out just as clean as my mower, which is a 4 stroke. The combustion chambers are also not significantly dirtier. And this is at a 40:1 ratio, Vetteman is talking about a 384:1 ratio.

Matt_S nailed it. Yes there should always be a concern with water and diesel, but there isn't something mystical or hygroscopic about 2-stroke oil and water.

My 2 stroke oils don't "lay heavy deposits" and sure most lubricating oils are more viscous than fuels, but "heavy in hydrocarbons" is gobbledygook....I'm not trying to convince you of anything, it's just that fella didn't seem to be talking science that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back