Gulf Western in the marketplace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gulf Western

Gulf Western is one brand that prices itself well under the market price. It's cheap, that's their market advantage but is it any good? They are low volume so it doesn't make much sence to slash their margins too. Can they really just sell the same stuff as everyone else, just cheaper?

they used to make the cheapest group V ester based oil by far a year ago, priced around $60-70 for 5L (6 quarts) when the likes of Motul 300V and Redline was closer to $120 for 5L - it was called Gulf Western Sougi 6000 10w-40

they have since cut this line and replaced ith with a Syn-x 6000 5w-40 (group III/IV blend) and Syn-x 3000 (group III), datasheets are available online i believe, but i never thought they were much to write home about

several members on the skylines australia have had good impressions on these 2 lines of oil from gulf western as our change intervals are usually kept to 5000kms (3000~mi) quite a few guys are using the syn-x 6000 for up to 10,000kms (7000~mi) without any issues

I bought some of their 20W-50 to have a look at how a very cheap "namebrand" looked.

It turned solid in my freezer, which Shell 25W-70 didn't

thanks for the feedback, i really didn't understand the un-quantified praise it received from alot of people in aus without any real evidence or UOAs

there was on guy on the skylines australia forum preaching it from the hills and everyone was jumping on-board, glad i didn't

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: squareznboxez

there was on guy on the skylines australia forum preaching it from the hills and everyone was jumping on-board, glad i didn't

They do a fair bit of marketing so some of that is likely to rub off somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I bought some of their 20W-50 to have a look at how a very cheap "namebrand" looked. It turned solid in my freezer, which Shell 25W-70 didn't

Cool, I hadn't thought of doing the freezer test Shannow.
smile.gif

BTW, was this the one you tested, "Gulf Western XMP SG/CD 20W-50", http://www.gulfwestern.com.au/Petrol Oil_XMP.html

I bought a 4L jug of that about a year ago when the local Auto-One store was flogging them off at $7.99. I figured it was probably the only time I'd ever get oil in Australia for under $2/L, so I had to buy it.

So far the only thing I've done with it is to refill my workshop oil-can. Maybe I'll also use it in the mower.

Edit: The jug I bought is exactly the same as the one I linked except mine says SH/CD (instead of SG). Hmm, I wonder if they were flogging them off cheap because they mislabeled them?

Last edited:
Was a couple of years ago, but that looks close.

I bought it at the Warehouse (later became Sam's Warehouse RIP), for about $8.

Left it on a counter at work "free to a good home, a jar of it is in the freezer adjacent, Buyer Be Ware"...it lasted 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back