1997 7.3l Powerstroke always ran Rotella T 15w40..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm new to this forum and after searching the threads a little, I'm somewhat confused. It seems that I have been using the wrong oil for my old stroker with 267K miles. I've always used Rotella T 15w40. I read somewhere on here that I loose upper RPM power because the HPOP can't pump this oil adequately.

So, what oil is supposed to be the best for my use? I don't drive it everyday anymore, but when I do it is pulling. I am leaving Friday driving from Mississippi to West Virginia pulling a 20' trailer with 2 or 3 ATV's on it. I was wanting to change it before we left.

Thanks in advance for any replys / help.

There was a point that the rotella had a problem foaming up and causing problems as far as the hpop is concerned but rotella found out about this and they fixed this problem ALONG time ago. you've been using it for 267,000 miles and now you think it has been the incorrect oil? c'mon

No, I guess I didn't fully explain. This is my 2nd '97 7.3 liter. I bought both used and have only had this one for maybe 20k - 30k miles. I have always used this oil in the powerstrokes I have owned. No idea what was used in it before I owned them.

5w40? Hmmm, sounds like an awful light oil. But I have been thinking of stepping down to a 10w30 or 10w40.

Thanks for the reply jeepman3071

10W30 Rotella T would be a great oil for an HPOP-equipped engine, if you can find it. I ran 5W40 Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme in my 6.0 PSD, but 10W30 would be a lot cheaper.

When all else fails read your owners manual.
grin.gif
Ford recommends either 15W-40 or 10W-30 depending on your outside temperatures. A lot of folks here are switching to 10W-30 their PSD's. There is nothing wrong with running 5W-40 although it isn't cheap and to get the most bang for the buck you need to extend your oil change intervals. I personally wouldn't extend my OCI without running UOA and a bypass filter. Any of the major brands of oil should gave you good results using regular OCI...shop by price. Just my two cents.

Griz95

Originally Posted By: Griz95
When all else fails read your owners manual.
grin.gif
Ford recommends either 15W-40 or 10W-30 depending on your outside temperatures. A lot of folks here are switching to 10W-30 their PSD's. There is nothing wrong with running 5W-40 although it isn't cheap and to get the most bang for the buck you need to extend your oil change intervals. I personally wouldn't extend my OCI without running UOA and a bypass filter. Any of the major brands of oil should gave you good results using regular OCI...shop by price. Just my two cents.

Griz95

I'm not asking what oil to run. I'm simply asking what is considered the absolute best by the all knowing BITOG forum elite.

Nobody knows what is best.

There are many excellent oils including your Shell Rotella 15W-40. It has served you well; continue using it. You can spend a lot more for oil and probably not see any difference in your engine. Use Red Line. Use Royal Purple. Use Amsoil. Use Schaeffer. I use Schaeffer. I think it is the best for the money. If money didn't matter, I'd use Schaeffer or Red Line. Money does matter, and you have an old truck. Rotella will keep the engine running while the rest of your truck, no matter how well you maintain it, just wears out.

You're right. And if there was more oils available to me locally, I'd try other things. No Amsoil, Shaeffer, or Red Line.

Just thought I'd post this on here since I am new to this site and as soon as I logged in the first time i found out that Lucas oil stabilizer was [censored]. I had no clue, was making sure nothing else i was doing was wrong too.

I bought the rotella T6 5w40 yesterday. I think I'll try to continue to use it. I like that it has the same protection as the 15w40, but fully synthetic and helps on startup. Mine struggles a little when it gets cold anyway.

From what I have read on here the general consensus seems to be the cheapest and most available oil within specs your vehicle needs.

Being a UK forum member I am obviously biased toward synthetic oil. Only rather old cars say early nineties and older are routinely run on mineral/conventional oils.

Perhaps we are paranoid in the UK/Europe?

But synthetic oils assist is less downtime for vehicles and allow long drain intervals or annual drain intervals in low mileage urban usage vehicles.

I always use a big name brand synth, if I am short of cash I may go semi synth, as my thread about my Pathfinder shows, I just couldn't leave Carlube oil in there despite the good specs, call me mad or anal
My Taxi usually has a long drain on synth (10/11k) or a short drain (6/7k) on semi.

Saab's don't seem to have sludge problems on full synth at the same mileages where using semi would result in sludge for example.

If you are happy with a shorter drain period and can get conventional at a good price then go for it.

Nothing wrong with T6; great product.

The question is thus:
Will you get the value from it? What is your OCI plan?

Being in MS you have zero need for a syn if you are going to OCI at "normal" intervals. It's not like temps are a concern in your area.

The ol' 7.3L PSD is a very reliable engine, generally.

If you run out your OCIs to match or exceed the cost factor, then you'll do fine. If not, you're wasting money big time.

Read my signature line; that says it all.

Yeah, I have always been the type to want to do more for the protection of my engine. I may have waisted money, since I live on a gravel road and worry about changing my oil more often than I probably should. But, I'll let this oil change run on out for a while.

But your signature comment makes a lot of since. Thank you for your input.

I have a 97 7.3l , has 196k on clock. Bought with 130k on it. Ran amsoil marine 15w40 first thirty thousand, then went to delvac to save money. I ran the ams 15k, delmac 7.5-10k. Switched to motorist last oil service. I know for sure delvac is international truck dealer oil.
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back