higher quality "powerhead" for Ryobi??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: afoulk

I have a Husky 128LD that I got at Lowes the beginning of this summer, and I'm pretty sure the manual says that it has a cat. built into the muffler. I don't know if this has any effect on the 50hrs. epa rating.

That's correct. This series has catalytic mufflers installed. My ~4yr/old 125D has this.

50hrs is how long the catalyst is expected to remain working to EPA exhaust specs.

If I was paying 3-4x as much for a trimmer, it darn well better have a 250+ hr rating sticker on it!

Joel

That 50 hour rating is not from the cat's efficiency. Believe it or not, many engines achieve 300 hour ratings without a cat.

Quite simply the engine's condition is the driving factor behind the rating.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
That 50 hour rating is not from the cat's efficiency. Believe it or not, many engines achieve 300 hour ratings without a cat.

depends on your definition of "cat" all trimmers i know of are epa restricted, and youre not (i doubt) going to find a 300 hr trimmer in lowes unless maybe the 300 series husqvarna, just as i doubt you will in home depot except echo. these type stores are mainly aimed at cheap products, just as your complaining of your low end jd unit. i understand wanting to be able to use your attachments still, and id say the 100 series husqvarna is about as good as your going to find. also, when it comes to repairs, if the starter cord is in front of the engine (as shown in the original pic/post), if you break something there and are unable to fix it yourself, you may as well use it as a boat anchor/parts unit, as it isnt worth fixing at a OPE dealer. A better unit will have the starter easily accesible on the "back side" of the engine. if i were seeking a replacement power head, this is where id look first. also, ive read many ryobi and even toro "commercial" negative reviews, and yes a few negative husqvarna 100 seiers too. i dont doubt as another poster stated that ryobi is now owned by MTD, and thats not an upgrade. MTD does offer a few decent products, but for the most part its the yugo of products, definately their products found in lowes, home depot, tsc, and the likes.

Last edited:

I guess my perfectly operating 4yr/old 125L is about half to 3/4 dead then.

I've never been able to find info with respect to OPE, EPA emissions hour ratings meaning actual engine life.

I've seen 250hr 'rated' engines with 1000hrs on them, running flawlessly w/out excessive oil consumption.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK

I guess my perfectly operating 4yr/old 125L is about half to 3/4 dead then.

I've never been able to find info with respect to OPE, EPA emissions hour ratings meaning actual engine life.

I've seen 250hr 'rated' engines with 1000hrs on them, running flawlessly w/out excessive oil consumption.

Joel

joel, id buy youre hus 125l as it is, you couldnt pay me to take a ryobi even if it were new.

Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape
Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Also the Toro powerhead Has a Full Crank vs. the ryobi split cranks.

not sure what your saying here, and im not saying there arent a few differences here and there between the toro/ryobi, but its still a ryobi made unit.

What is so hard to understand?

A full crank is simply more robust than a split crank. Simple.
Google it.

For someone that has a bunch of extensions that fit this powerhead I will recommend it, Mine runs great with a Brush cutter metal blade on it that I use in the woods.

It's a 25cc powerhead. Seems plenty powerful for my Weekly Chores as a Pruner/Polesaw/Trimmer and light Tilling in our vegetable garden too.

I use Truefuel in mine. No problems.

Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape

Also the Toro powerhead Has a Full Crank vs. the ryobi split cranks.

not sure what your saying here, and im not saying there arent a few differences here and there between the toro/ryobi, but its still a ryobi made unit.

What is so hard to understand?

A full crank is simply more robust than a split crank. Simple.
Google it.

For someone that has a bunch of extensions that fit this powerhead I will recommend it, Mine runs great with a Brush cutter metal blade on it that I use in the woods.

It's a 25cc powerhead. Seems plenty powerful for my Weekly Chores as a Pruner/Polesaw/Trimmer and light Tilling in our vegetable garden too.

I use Truefuel in mine. No problems.

im not used to refering to the cheaper side of ope. im not used to paying less than $300 for a trimmer, nor do i expect to find a decent one for less. im just trying to help, and based on past experience id choose the husqvarna, just as i said, the units made w the starter in the front of the engine arent much and i explained why. "the crank issiue, i dont know if you meant crankshaft, or starter crank". and frankly i dont care. i just wish ppl wouldnt brag on junk (ryobi/mtd), and try to lead ppl down the wrong path.

The position of the starter will tell you if it is full crank or half crank. The starter in the front is half crank, in the back is full. Obviously don't expect you to know the full details of homeowner grade equipment.

The Husky dealership wanted $400 for a quality powerhead. That was too much for my liking. Even though, it was really nice.

So, I chose the Toro. And a stand alone Echo Blower. Since I was using the thing for blower use anyway...

By the way, the Toro is WAY underpowered. 25cc's of raw, unadulterated bogging. It's as unresponsive and "smogged out" as humanly possible and still have it function. Acceleration is pathetic. Top end power is also unable to drive the blower to speed. But, it was $100 and since it will see only occasional use, it's ok for the tiller and edger. (maybe I'll gut the muffler) But it does run smooth and seems clean.

Oh, it's a full crank, looks nothing like a Ryobi internally, and has a 125 hour (intermediate) rating.

Last edited:
ClarkLS, I have a Shindawa, a Stihl and a Ryobi 30 CC multi tool. The Shindawa is a beast. However the Ryobi has been functional for a consumer unit. You have to tighten the bolts every so often to avoid air leaks in the composite case. I use it for the pole saw and a second bruchcutter if I can get my son of his butt to help me. I can take my own equipment apart an maintain it/repair it is a plus.

For long term trimming at the farm I agree to pay more for less grief. However, I am not sure what level is needed to maintain the neighborhood "Estate". I was surprised how strong the 30 cc box store Ryobi runs. How long it will last
is a whole 'nother thing.

Originally Posted By: BerlinettaBoxer
The position of the starter will tell you if it is full crank or half crank. The starter in the front is half crank, in the back is full. Obviously don't expect you to know the full details of homeowner grade equipment.
didnt know the terminology, if the starters in front, i walk away. the op has made his decision, im over it.

Last edited:
Running T4 race gas in the Toro now. Runs really, really good! My gas must have had too much ethanol in it for the non-adjustable mixture. Just used it for 2 hours without a problem. I'm pleased.

Running T4 race gas in the Toro now. Runs really, really good! My gas must have had too much ethanol in it for the non-adjustable mixture. Just used it for 2 hours without a problem. I'm pleased.

Glad you Like it.

As I stated earlier Mine runs like a champ on the True Fuel mix.

Ran regular pump gas thru the older head I have until it needed a carb kit and fuel lines, The newer head has only had True Fuel.

Time will tell how much a difference it makes in longevity.

Glad you Like it.

As I stated earlier Mine runs like a champ on the True Fuel mix.

Ran regular pump gas thru the older head I have until it needed a carb kit and fuel lines, The newer head has only had True Fuel.

Time will tell how much a difference it makes in longevity.

true fuel contains no ethanol, thus no carb or related problems, as i keep stating on here, the ethanol is the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back