Can I pour Seafoam/Techron into my cylinders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I had my spark plugs out I noticed the tops of my pistons were black with carbon deposits. Could I pour a bit of one of these cleaners through the plug holes and let it sit a while? I plan on cranking the engine over without the plugs in (maybe a towel over the block) to expel the crap before I try restarting it.

I posted about this before...
Somebody on a Mitsubishi forum of some sort was swearing by using a Mopar top egine cleaner (whatever the actual name of that product is) in such a manner. More than that, they would let it sit overnight.
I personally haven't tried this method in an automotive application, but in my Weedeater Featherlite trimmer Seafoam seemed to evaporate on its own after a couple of hours (so maybe, cranking the engine may not even be necessary if cleaner is left in the combustion chamber long enough). Oh, yeah, I left the spark plug out that time.
dunno.gif

This is known as a "piston soak." It's been discussed here many times, using any number of a variety of popular cleaners/solvents.

The things you generally want to keep in mind are: Don't put more than a couple of ounces in each cylinder so as to avoid hydrolocking the engine upon trying to start it up again; for optimum results, the pistons should all be as close to the middle of the cylinder as possible -- why? Because otherwise one or more will be near the bottom of the bore and the fluid you put in those pistons may just pour right past the rings; after letting whatever you use sit in the cylinders for a few hours, turn the crankshaft by hand to move the cylinders a bit to let the cleaner get into the ring grooves; let the stuff sit in the cylinders overnight so that it has a chance to work; plan on replacing oil/filter immediately after the soak; start the car again at night if you have neighbors who dislike thick clouds of choking white smoke, since this will be issuing from your tailpipe for at least a dozen miles upon restarting.

Finally, if all you're trying to do is clean the piston tops, vs. free stuck rings, I suggest using Lube Control and Fuel Power on a regular basis instead.

One of the best ways to clean the combustion chambers is water.

Find a way to introduce a trickle amount of water into your car while its running (top of carb, vacuum line, etc)

Bring the engine up to operational temp.

Rev the engine and introduce the water. Keep that engine reved up and don't let it stall.

In essence you're steam cleaning your combustion chambers.

Russ is referring to Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. One bottle split into all four cylinders. let sit overnight, and they would vacuum the junk out of the cylinder through the spark plug holes with a wet-vac or the likes. Then change oil ASAP afterwards.

quote:

Originally posted by Steverino:

Find a way to introduce a trickle amount of water into your car while its running (top of carb, vacuum line, etc)

Rev the engine and introduce the water. Keep that engine reved up and don't let it stall.

This is really interesting!

So I can introduce water into the PCV vacuum line for cleaning? Do I let it soak or just keep on doing it.

Can I damage anything?

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

quote:

Originally posted by Steverino:

This is really interesting!

So I can introduce water into the PCV vacuum line for cleaning? Do I let it soak or just keep on doing it.

Can I damage anything?

You can damamge your engine, foul spark plugs, kill 02 sensors, and maybe your catalytic convertors. But there are no "other" side effects to using water as opposed to other chemicals except the freeness of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back