Aftermarket car warranty? Is Zurich decent

Status
Not open for further replies.
"powertrain and electrical"...I'd take a closer look to see what it DOESN'T cover. A friend of mine got coverage for his newer e46 when he got it from a small indy dealer. It also covered the powertrain BUT NOT any seals. now he has a bad valve cover gasket and they won't look at his claim. Imagine if his head gasket went? man, he'd be hooped!!!

In regards to the S60R, how old is it? if the warrantly is pretty comprehensive for the powertrain and electrical, I'd say go for it. Has anyone here actually seen how fast repair bills can accumlulate on a late model S60R? those are VERY HIGH performance machines with AWD. ANY repairs are going to be VERY costly. The suspension is also very advanced, and repairs to it are also very pricey.

Basically this is not a regular Volvo by any means. And anyone who tells you that it's no different than a stock S60T or whatever is outright lying. I would LOVE to own one of these, BUT NOT after the warranty runs out. Heck, I dumped my 04 S60 with NA and 5 speed stick with 2 months left on the warranty and wished the new owner all the best. I even provided him the THICK binder of all the repairs that were covered under waranty but he wasn't interested in looking at it. his loss.

Just buy a Toyota or a Honda for that price and call it a car for the price of the insurance, it would easily last 3 years on the road.

Seriously, Volvo? What is the point of bothering with a Volvo?

I would like to be schooled on why someone would bother with a Volvo...

If nobody has a point I'd just take it as personal preference.

And, no, don't bother with 3,500! repair insurance. Live on the mild side and save yourself big money for something that might not even pay out if you even need it.

I'd say buy into a name that is an insurance in and of itself. Save the 3500$ aftermarket insurance for a Lada.

If you don't trust the Volvo name in reliability it isn't a car for you anyway.

Buy a Toyota Corolla and impress just as many people.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Just buy a Toyota or a Honda for that price and call it a car for the price of the insurance, it would easily last 3 years on the road.

Seriously, Volvo? What is the point of bothering with a Volvo?

If nobody has a point I'd just take it as personal preference.

And, no, don't bother with 3,500! repair insurance. Live on the mild side and save yourself big money for something that might not even pay out if you even need it.

I'd say buy into a name that is an insurance in and of itself. Save the 3500$ aftermarket insurance for a Lada.

If you don't trust the Volvo name in reliability it isn't a car for you anyway.

Buy a Toyota Corolla and impress just as many people.

This man clearly has never spent any amount of time behind the wheel of a Volvo. Once you do, it changes your perspective of driving....and life

and to be frank nobody is impressed by a Corolla. It just screams "I've given up on driving and just want something to get me there".

Do I like Volvo's? YOU BET I DO! Would I ever own one? [censored] NO! I prefer to rent them and happily return the keys when my trip is over.

Originally Posted By: Falken

Because not everyone is happy driving an appliance.

Go drive an S60R and you will understand why.

Stanley, no, I have never driven a Volvo.

If it is that amazing and you can afford it, go for the added protection of an insurance.

If you want to get from point A-B, get a Toyota.

If I wanted to pursue a driving experience that costs a lot of money to fix I'd get a low end BMW used.

Maybe things are different in the States but Volvo is not recognized as time travel up here.

I look at the total ownership experience of a car, so my opinion is very boring, I guess.

Edit: I work on cars at night during the week, next car that I work on if it is a Volvo I plan on doing a full test drive if at all possible. If it is another mechanic, I am going to ask him what I should look for to verify that it is properly repaired.

Maybe they are a lot of fun to drive. But I'd still gamble on 3500$ even if I had to pay a 5000$ repair I'd take the deductible and hassle into consideration.

I get parts very cheap, so i see 3500$ as a total scam. Paying someone to do nothing as a "just in case" doesn't sell with me at all.

Last edited:
dont buy it i dont know the company but $3500.00 is a lotttt of money and most of the warranties that you buy are scams... Here is what you do if they say you can go anywhere to get your car fixed ask around ask the stealer if they accept it and ask other shops also these warranties are usually rip offs! There are a few extended warranties from a new car dealer that are expensive but ok

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller
Has anyone here actually seen how fast repair bills can accumlulate on a late model S60R? those are VERY HIGH performance machines with AWD. ANY repairs are going to be VERY costly. The suspension is also very advanced, and repairs to it are also very pricey.

Good point. Buying used is a gamble, and with a car like this, it's an even bigger gamble, so an extended warranty isn't a bad idea and it has its price. I'd still say shop around - compare not just the price but what is actually covered and how reputable the company is. There aren't many good ones of them out there. The best ones are usually the ones sold by the vehicle manufacturer, alas, this isn't always an option depending on where you buy the car from and how old it is, etc.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The S60R is the turbo charged sedan?
Maybe the coverage is so expensive... cause the parts are expensive ?

Most of Volvo's cars that arent' the base model are ALL turbo'd. It's kinda hard to find a Volvo that ISN'T turbocharged.

The R version takes things to a whole different level.

I had one when I bought my R car, it paid for itself when I shattered the angle gear.

FWIW maintenance isn't too bad on an R car. I got a free fuel pump under a recall.

Replacing the suspension dampers is expensive due to the active chassis system. Brake jobs are cake with the 4 pot Brembo calipers all around. I am almost at 120k so I will be doing all the fluids, plus new OEM wheel bearings, discs, pads and IPD sway bars in the next week or so.

Only extended warranty which can be given even 10% consideration is the one from the manufacturer. If you are buying warranty third party from anybody else, you need to reconsider the whole transaction. You really need to self-insure.

Last edited:
Good gosh, the mileage please? Man, you guys spend so much on these cars it amazes me. Then you'll be telling us how inexpensive they are to own!

Just a note, virtually everything I have ever seen in writing blasts 3rd party warranties as not cost effective for most people.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Never, ever, EVER trust the Swiss.

Ha, then what does that mean for the US? LOL

I wouldn't trust most people in this country as far as I could throw em.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Never, ever, EVER trust the Swiss.

A lot of reinsurers are based in that area. I guess I should be worried, eh?

They want $3,500 for full 3 year/36,000 miles power train and electrical warranty. Is this worth it? Thanks!

Put $3500 in a separate account.

At the end of 3 years or 36,000 miles, use that money toward your next vehicle.

Unless you had to spend it on the Volvo.

Either way, at the end of the afforementioned period, you just might be ready to get something else.

Remember, whatever the premium amount you are willing to pay, you are, in effect, saying you believe you will spend that amount, if not more, in repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back