Valvoline Synpower MST 5w40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: mongo161
During my search I did find some forums, primarily in Europe, who's members really like this Valvoline 5W-40 and run it all the time in gasoline and diesel engines. I guess we will never know what makes these Valvoline oils perform so well but show a weak add pack in their VOAs. It must be a well kept secret and it seems that they have the corner on the market with their "organic" ingredients.

Also, when you say that they "really like this Valvoline 5W-40", what exactly does that mean? Have they performed extensive testing to determine that it is better than most other oils? Often times, we may really like something, but can't substantiate exact practical benefits... Many people like AutoRX for example.
smile.gif

Pete....When I posted that they liked the Valvoline 5W-40....over there....it was not scientific. It was just the comments and opinions by posters to the forums for BMW, MB and VW. Most posters mentioned that for some reason....Mobil 1, 0W-40 would burn off and they needed to add a more oil during their extended runs. However, this was not the case with the Valvoline, based on opinions of the posters in Europe.

Maybe a blend of 50/50 Valvoline 5W-40 and Mobil 1 0w-40 would work out fine in the USA? It might be worth a try....

Maybe a blend of 50/50 Valvoline 5W-40 and Mobil 1 0w-40 would work out fine in the USA? It might be worth a try....

I've never been a big fan of blending. I guess I just don't see the point. You use either one or the other, depending on what your engine manufacturer calls for. If it calls for LL04 or MB 229.51, then Synpower MST is your ticket. If it calls for LL01 or MB 229.5, then M1 0w-40 is what you want to use. If M1 0w-40 results in too much burnoff (no burnoff in case of our C300), then look for another LL01/MB229.5 oil. Quite a few of them out there.

And if you don't have a German car, or a car that calls for high HT/HS like the above oils, then there are plenty of other good alternatives out there (Edge, PP, PU, Synpower 5w-30, M1 0w-30/5w-30), so again, why would you even bother with this Synpower MST?

Not attacking you or anything... just trying to understand your logic.

Pete, This is not for my T4R but for some friends BMW and MB vehicles. That was the reason for my inquiry. I know that I can get the Valvoline 5w-40 at a reasonable price at WM.

There is a special going on now at Advance Auto for 5 quarts of SynPower and a Bosch D+ filter for $30.99.

Advance Auto does not carry the Valvoline SynPower, 5w-40 but WM does.

I will attempt a price match of the AA sale at WM. I'll bring in the Flyer and pick up 10 quarts of Valvoline that they have in stock, along with 2 Bosch D+ filters, which they now carry on their shelf.

The regular "everyday low price" at WM for the Valvoline Synpower in quarts is $7.17 and the Filters are $12 to $13 each.

The advertised sale price at AA is $30.99 for 5 quarts of the oil and the filter.

After mail in rebates for Valvoline and Bosch....I can get each package of 5 quarts and the filter for $18.99.

IMO...this is a very good deal for the Synpower and the Bosch Filters.

Any additional quarts that I need I'll pick up at NAPA, which has the Synpower 5w-40 in stock, on sale, for $5.69 a quart.

Just looking out for my friends......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Can this oil be used in Japanese gasoline engines like Honda, Isuzu, Toyota, Nissan etc here in the USA with the low TBN and weak add pack?

You could use it. Just don't leave it in there for 10-15K miles, which is the typical oil change interval on MB, BMW, etc.

Personally, I don't see a point though. You can find M1 0w-40 on sale for $5/quart. It has a more robust add pack and should handle extended drains better.

Now, Valvoline does make Synpower 5w-40 in HST version (better add pack), but unfortunately it's a shop product that only comes in 55 gallon drums.

One reason to take this Valvoline product in for Mercedes oil changes would be to register for the 300,000 Mile Valvoline warranty, but of course then you can only go 4,000 miles between oil changes. I haven't tended to go over 4,000 miles in my Mercedes in a year lately though.

Still, the only does look weak, and it could explain the relatively good price on it, cheaper to make too.

This is an odd oil in that Valvoline says it's 229.51 (diesel spec Mercedes) AND 229.5 (gas). It shouldn't be both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ayrton
One reason to take this Valvoline product in for Mercedes oil changes would be to register for the 300,000 Mile Valvoline warranty, but of course then you can only go 4,000 miles between oil changes. I haven't tended to go over 4,000 miles in my Mercedes in a year lately though.

Pennzoil has a similar warranty. If you use Ultra, you're covered up to 500K miles or 15 years, and you only need to change oil as often as your owner's manual requires. However, finding Ultra 5w-40 at retail level is still tricky and it's rarely on sale.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i agree with finkle!!the public is getting ripped off!!there is nothing in that and other big company oils!!lol..thats why we have this site to alert people
confused2.gif
-Unless you are running a MB or Sprinter diesel there is really no reason to use this hard-to-find (and relatively pricey) Valvoline oil. In a gas engine there are plenty of better (& cheaper) choices. How is that getting "ripped off"?
Not with that approval list - you are getting ripped off buying your group III fake synthetics with ancient metal and salt add packs. The stuff in there (MST)that BkStn cant see is mega $$$ and high performance state of the art chemistry. Some of the best oils in the world have "invisible" add packs, Check FUCHS Silkolene and its zero wear UOA.

Just had 5 qt of this put into a 2008 Passat yesterday. NAPA stocks this 5w-40 MST in quarts, and is on sale this month for $5/qt. The latest PDS from Valvoline states that the TBN is 10, which is much higher than the Blackstone VOA.

What's going on?

Originally Posted By: buster
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Looks like the Tbn is 7.

These low metallic add oils are anything but weak. They're just different chemistry.

You can't meet Porsche & ACEA C3 specs and be "weak.".

Oops, you were correct. I was looking at the 5w-40 HST column.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i agree with finkle!!the public is getting ripped off!!there is nothing in that and other big company oils!!lol..thats why we have this site to alert people
confused2.gif
-Unless you are running a MB or Sprinter diesel there is really no reason to use this hard-to-find (and relatively pricey) Valvoline oil. In a gas engine there are plenty of better (& cheaper) choices. How is that getting "ripped off"?
Not with that approval list - you are getting ripped off buying your group III fake synthetics with ancient metal and salt add packs. The stuff in there (MST)that BkStn cant see is mega $$$ and high performance state of the art chemistry. Some of the best oils in the world have "invisible" add packs, Check FUCHS Silkolene and its zero wear UOA.

01.gif

One could technically argue that Redline/Amsoil are ancient with their 4,000 ppm of calcium. I foresee Amsoil formulations looking like the current syn formulations in a few years. That seems to be the trend. They are yesterday's oil boosted to the maximum levels. I'm not implying that this means less quality either. Not at all, just different. Redine caters to a more specific, niche market so they have no incentive to invest in low SAP technology.

This doesn't look much different from the Mobil Delvac VOA (which was praised as an excellent oil). It makes me wonder why this oil is considered poor while the MD is considered great, when both are very close in their specs.

Last edited:
Which Delvac? The 15w-40 mineral one? If so, it's a lot cheaper than this Synpower and it has a stronger add pack at the same time.

Really, apples to oranges though as the two oils meet a different set of mfg specs.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: buster
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Looks like the Tbn is 7.

These low metallic add oils are anything but weak. They're just different chemistry.

You can't meet Porsche & ACEA C3 specs and be "weak.".

Oops, you were correct. I was looking at the 5w-40 HST column.

This is an "interesting" oil. It meets more specs than I need. It meets the VW 502 spec to keep my Audi 2013 3.0L SuperCharged motor in warranty. I pulled the factory fill at 502 miles. I replaced it with the Synpower 5w-40 MST that was available at my local NAPA store. I pulled that oil at 4600 miles...

I have over 2k on the Synpower MST 5w-40 after the 4600 mile drain...I will do a 5k UOA on this oil to establish a baseline...

So far, my new engine has not consumed a noticeable amount of oil with the MST 5w-40...My motor has been "exercised"...after break in...

Will post back with a UOA...

This TBN looks quite bad, especially when 7.5 is claimed. I was planning to get this, but will have to search somewhere else instead...

All Valvoline oils show 'weak' voa, nothing new. But also perform extremely well in uoa...nothing new.

QP's explanation seems to make the most sense here.

Originally Posted By: wemay
All Valvoline oils show 'weak' voa, nothing new.

FYI, Valvoline now has a new kid on the block: Synpower 0w-40 which has a TBN of 11 (according to PDS). It is a full SAPS oil, unlike the Synpower 5w-40 MST.

On Valvoline's website? I couldn't find it. I'm sure it'll be there soon. If Walmart carries it, it will go into the Santa fe Sport 2.0T for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back