Is this MAG1 0w20 oil any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Side note: you want to keep that factory fill in the sump until it hits atleast 15% on the MM. Supposedly it has pixie dust in it
lol.gif

Bump for interest. I can't decide on what to put in the accord after dumping the ff as well.

Is it a fully approved oil listed in your warranty documents?
I have never even heard of the company until this post and as the price is less than cheap cooking oil, it might be another case of you get what you pay for.

It meets the API spec it lists, but I consider it to be on the same level as house brand oils, like supertech.

I'll give 'em credit for one thing: this is the most complete spec sheet I've ever seen. It's like pulling teeth to get some of that info out of the other oil producers.

Honda fours are known to be pretty easy on oil, so give it a try. I'd take the first load to 15% then do a UOA to see how it holds up (and post it here of course).

Assuming its pretty much the exact same product as they produce for Walmart's SuperTech then its just fine. Ive run SuperTech countless times without skipping a beat so I'd run MAG1 in a second.

As a previous poster stated it's made by Warren. I would use it in a new vehicle that spec'd 0w20 without reservations for whatever OCI the owners manual calls for.

That's probably the most informative spec sheet I've seen. It has HTHS at both 100 and 150C, and a shear stability number. They sure aren't shy about informing customers about their oil, unlike some of the majors like Castrol and SOPUS. The specs look entirely reasonable for an SN/GF5 oil.

I put it in my Mazda2 at 1500 miles (ZY-VE).

When my shipment arrived there was leakage though. The caps weren't super tight and there is no foil seal on the bottles.

Hardly scientific, but it smells like there's good stuff in there.

UMM, so if it smells good does that mean you can trust the spec sheets?
Veggie oil smells good but when put it in a diesel engine oil filler rather than the fuel tank (Female owner and engineer?)the main block goes bang in a very smokey permanent manner.
Anyone seen a VOA, as I never trust small oil company specs as one oil lab in Germany has found some new oil approvals are seriously in error. (Chinese winter 20/40 truck oil sold to diesel car owners in Saudi was good for a laugh, as it said it was an A3/B4 5/30)
Originally Posted By: jhMalibu

When my shipment arrived there was leakage though. The caps weren't super tight and there is no foil seal on the bottles.

I am running the MAG1 5w-40 in my '01 M-B E320 and I have no complaints. Previous fills have been GC 0w-30 and M1 0w-40. I cannot say I notice any differences. No butt dyno, noises, MPG all the same. The reasons I purchased were ease of delivery/cost ($1 qt. cheaper than M1 @ Walmart) thru Amazon and the complete PDS on the website.

Originally Posted By: skyship
UMM, so if it smells good does that mean you can trust the spec sheets?
Veggie oil smells good but when put it in a diesel engine oil filler rather than the fuel tank (Female owner and engineer?)the main block goes bang in a very smokey permanent manner.
Anyone seen a VOA, as I never trust small oil company specs as one oil lab in Germany has found some new oil approvals are seriously in error. (Chinese winter 20/40 truck oil sold to diesel car owners in Saudi was good for a laugh, as it said it was an A3/B4 5/30)
Originally Posted By: jhMalibu

WPP is not what i would call a "small company", when compared to XOM yes, they are smaller. They blend and bottle oil for numerous companies like Walmart (supertech), Advance Auto Parts, Tractor supply (travelers), and many others out there, not to mention their top line Mag1. WPP makes good oils and can sell them at a more competitive price due to less advertising.

There have been some UOA/VOA of various WPP made oils that have some good results. One recent UOA had supertech conventional with over 10K on it and showed excellent numbers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
It is Warren Distributions top of the line product. I believe most here think they make good stuff. Under $30 on Amazon for 6 qt's. Free shipping

Website...Good info

They make a lesser priced oil Accel also carried by Amazon. including 0W-20.

Pretty good stuff but while under warranty I would only use oil that has the Honda cert on it. Afterwards I say it would be great!

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Pretty good stuff but while under warranty I would only use oil that has the Honda cert on it. Afterwards I say it would be great!

I would be surprised if it isn't. While they do list a lot of data for the oils on their site, they aren't all that clear on their specifications. They have a current licensed 5w-30 on the official dexos1 list, but they don't do a lot to hype it on the site.

Then again, who really knows, and if one wants a certification, why take the risk?

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

Not sure what you mean by "the Honda cert", but as long as you use an oil that meets the API and viscosity called out in the owners manual (and document changes), they cannot deny warranty coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back