10/40 oil is OK vs 5/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
None of this is likely to help a Saturn engine.
All of this has been tried by members of the various Saturn forums and nothing really seems to help.
With a Saturn engine, as long as the owner keeps oil in it, it will run for a very long time.
High consumption is just a part of the location of the rings too high on the piston.
No oil will help with this.

Not true.
There are high mileage Saturn owners that have used synthetic oil from the start and do not have high oil consumption.

What is true, is that once you have clogged up oil control rings, they can be devilishly difficult to clean up. Nevertheless, if you want to make any progress at all in solving the problem only synthetic oil should be used.

There are probably owners of high mileage Ions who have used any old oil who don't have high consumption, since these cars don't have Saturn engines.
I would love to hear from some actual owners of cars with the real SOHC or DOHC Saturn engine who have found that using Grp III oils exclusively has resulted in low consumption at high miles.
I know of nothing to support this contention in the Saturn forums, but I think that all owners of older Saturns would be intersted in hearing this.
De-coke the rings, run PP or whatever and never again have any problems with consumption?

The only engine that I ever had that problem with was the '82 300D-had low compression and uneven running-although it burned/leaked quite a bit, 5W40 M1 TDT made a BIG difference in cleaning things up. Not sure if it was due to it being neglected by the PO (14K on dino 15W40 when I got it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back