Buy a car in MA, register in NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in buying a used car in Massachusetts, even though I live in New York state. Apparently, MA does not issue any sort of temporary registration. I suppose I could buy the car, take the papers back to NY to register it, then return to MA to pick up the car. Is that the best way to do it without paying for having the car shipped?

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I'm interested in buying a used car in Massachusetts, even though I live in New York state. Apparently, MA does not issue any sort of temporary registration. I suppose I could buy the car, take the papers back to NY to register it, then return to MA to pick up the car. Is that the best way to do it without paying for having the car shipped?

I bought a truck in MA and registered it in NY where I live. Luckily for me, the guy I bought it from had a flat bed trailer and delivered it for $100, which is what it would have cost me to make the extra trip and find a driver/helper. NY does have a "transport permit" that is good for one day to move something from point A to point B. Unsure what is needed to obtain that transport permit, but worth calling and asking.

Check with NY if they'll issue a temp tag ahead of time with only proof of insurance, not ownership. My state will do it, they call it a "transit plate."

If you feel 300% crooked go test drive some new car and ask if you can take it home for the night. Take the dealer plate off that car and go have a ball.
crackmeup2.gif

Another option is to take a piece of cardboard and write the old mass registration on it... it will be on the inspection sticker, and make that your plate. It might not be illegal as the numbers correspond to the car and the old owner has an alibi, he's holding his metal plates!

Check with NY - they might be able to issue a temp registration for the car since you're a resident. Take that with you when you go to buy...

This is what VA did when I bought a car in FL...it wasn't much, just a piece of paper, no plate, but it was a registration. That way, I complied with the law and had something to show any cop who might be curious about the lack of a plate.

If you're buying from a friend, ask him if you can leave the MA tags on there and FedEx them back when you get it done in NY. The risk for him is multiple, the car is still in his name, so any violations/liability will trace back to him, and he will get a pro-rated refund on the unused portion of his term of registration.

I'd like to keep it legal. In transit permits don't work either:

Quote:
Important information for Massachusetts residents: Massachusetts (MA) does not recognize the NYS in-transit permit. According to the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles, you can receive a ticket for no registration if you use an NYS in-transit permit in MA. This also makes the insurance on the vehicle not valid. MA authorities can impound the vehicle for no valid insurance. For more information, contact the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles

Have transit tags issued from your home state. I bought a car in CT and drove to VA through 3 stats and DC on VA issued transit tags. This is legal and states honor transit tags as long as your paperwork is in order.

Does he have a title with no liens? The guy I bought it from had a lien and needed my $$ to pay it off. So I could not get the title for several days after I paid for the vehicle. I used that as leverage to get the vehicle delivered.

Know anyone with a flatbed trailer?

The funny thing about registration reciprocity is Mass doesn't offer temporary registrations, and feels no obligation to honor those from elsewhere.

If they did, they would.

Reciprocity is a nice thing the states all came out with in about 1905. Before then you needed plates for every state you drove through.

In this instance, Mass is shooting themselves in the foot; I am sure border dealers would love to make it easier for out of staters to shopp in Mass.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
See what I copied above:
Quote:
Massachusetts (MA) does not recognize the NYS in-transit permit.

This can be parsed...does that mean not recognized for all residents of Massachussetts? Or not recognized for all drivers on Mass roads, regardless of residence?

If it's the latter, you'll need a full registration, then, not a transit...in which case, you'll have to do the deal before hand, get the paperwork, and then pick up the car.

Personally, I would not do this, unless you already know the car (e.g. buying a car from a friend). If you do all this before hand, you can't walk away if you find the car is not as represented, i.e. you lose all leverage in the execution of this deal...

It would have to be a very special car for me to go through all this trouble...what are you buying that makes it worth all this?

Last edited:
Quote:
It would have to be a very special car for me to go through all this trouble...what are you buying that makes it worth all this?

No particular car yet, but the border is close, I drive over there a lot for various reasons anyway, and I was just seeing some that might be worth looking at. For some reason, prices seem to be lower there too. But, based on what I have learned it might not be worth the hassle. I just thought there must be a way around this that I wasn't seeing as you would think MA car dealers would be howling about this cutting into their business.

Since you're close to the border, why not buy the vehicle, get the dealer to ket it sit for a couple days, register it and bring the plates back with you? Legal and easy.

Quote:
Since you're close to the border, why not buy the vehicle, get the dealer to ket it sit for a couple days, register it and bring the plates back with you? Legal and easy.

That seems to be the best way to do it.

I'm right on the border in PA next to NJ and all the dealers on both sides are set up to handle registrations in either state, because they know people cross shop.
I would think MA dealers would welcome the NY business and make it easy for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back