Cleaning the inside of the windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) a good glass cleaner like Stoners or Sprayway

2) a microfiber mitt, which I find easier to handle than a loose cloth (use the type with a shag finish, not satin like a eyeglass cloth)

3) repeat as necessary

4) maintain between cleanings with a dry mitt. Admonish any passengers not to touch your clean windows with their grubby hands.

The hazy film comes from the plasticizers in the interior trim, liberated by the heat from the sun. If the vehicle is parked outside, get a sun shade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
...Have any of you found anything that gets the inside of the windshield absolutely clean?

Old school beats new school.

I have a perfect record of zero streaks using the following method. I have used Stoners but made the switch to Dawn since its at my sink and always on hand.

Working out of direct sunlight, use a sponge and a bit of Dawn in some water. Soap up the glass and remove using a 3" squeegee. You might want to put a towel over the dash to catch any drips. Takes 60 seconds to clean my winshield.

100% perfect 100% of the time and only requires a single pass.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing
...Have any of you found anything that gets the inside of the windshield absolutely clean?

Old school beats new school.

I have a perfect record of zero streaks using the following method. I have used Stoners but made the switch to Dawn since its at my sink and always on hand.

Working out of direct sunlight, use a sponge and a bit of Dawn in some water. Soap up the glass and remove using a 3" squeegee. You might want to put a towel over the dash to catch any drips. Takes 60 seconds to clean my winshield.

100% perfect 100% of the time and only requires a single pass.

I like the squeegee idea, where do you buy those?

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I don't apply any solutions to the dash, so no gassing problem from my actions.

I don't either, but I still get the film. Like I said, I can't prove this, but I believe the UV rays from sun cause the materials in the dash to give off some sort of gassy film that ends up on the windshield and this is what is so difficult to clean off...

That sounds like a reasonable cause. This windshield looks foggy on the inside on a perfect day with the windows open. Light angles affect how bad it looks, as usual.

This car is garage kept, it doesn't sit in the sun much, but it did have that new car stink for over a year despite efforts to air it out, so maybe the interior materials simply gas profusely.

My 1997 i30 is out in the sun all the time, but the windshield has cleaned up perfectly since I bought it in 2005. I keep a sunshade in the windshield to reduce UV damage, but it still gets blazing hot inside and lots of sun exposure.

I have used Invisible Glass for years. It's better than some other solutions I've tried. It does smell bad for sure.

I like the squeegee idea, where do you buy those?

Janitorial Supply stores have 'em.

I just went out to several auto places and none of the squeegees they had would work. The problem I see is going to be finding one thin enough to fit between the tiny space where the windshield and dash meet. I could maybe see one of the small "T" shaped ones working, if they make one thin enough, but none of the auto places had these type...

I forgot to add, absolutely no direct sunlight or too hot of a glass surface when you begin or you will be doing all that work for nothing.

On the inside, Windex and old newspaper.

On the outside, wash and then dry with the Absorber. Lay it completely flat while covering the wet surface. Pull on 2 corners and drag through all the wet spots. Wiping or rubbing will smear water spots. Dragging it will dry up with no streaks. Then spray RainX and wipe until crystal clear.

I think the newspaper trick is outdated. It was true a long time ago when the inks used in newspapers were also extremely fine abrasives. About 15-20 years ago newspaper inks switched from the old formulation to soy-based inks.

They still don't work too bad, Kestas. I was driving cab on occasion at the time they switched inks, ironically. My morning routine was to buy the newspaper, read it, then use it to clean the windows. The ones with the new inks worked fine, too. However, the cabs were cleaned daily and there was no smoking in the vehicles, so it wasn't weeks or months of crud needing to be cleaned, so one's mileage may vary.

Originally Posted By: cbear
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
[I use a "lightly damp" drying towel after I wash the car. Cleans it pretty good, believe it or not.

In my youth I worked at a carwash for 2 years. All we ever did was dip a towel in hot water, wring it out, and clean the windows. Dry with a dry towel until it was streak free. All bets are off if you're a smoker.

When I am working on a few cars I will fill a gallon bucket with hot water and 1/2 cup of vinegar. I dip and wring it out so it is only damp and I wipe the windshield down then immediately dry with dry terrycloth. Works great.

In terms of products the best I have used has been Zep Ammonia free and Meguiars Detailer brand window cleaner. Vinegar and hot water still works the best for me

I bought one of the Stoner's Invisable Glass cleaning wands over the weekend on clearance...good thing it was on clearance...I don't like it...I also bought some Stoner's Invisable Glass cleaner...don't like it either...I still have streaking...I think I'm going to try my original idea of using Dawn. I don't think any of these other cleaners are cutting through this mystery film that's on the inside of my windshield. Dawn may cut it as it's known for being able to cut through may tough undesirables...

The Wax Shop used to have an awesome glass cleaner that removed that residue. SInce they went out of business I have been trying every available glass cleaner to remove that stuff and havent found anything yet.

I bought one of the Stoner's Invisable Glass cleaning wands over the weekend on clearance...good thing it was on clearance...I don't like it...I also bought some Stoner's Invisable Glass cleaner...don't like it either...I still have streaking...I think I'm going to try my original idea of using Dawn. I don't think any of these other cleaners are cutting through this mystery film that's on the inside of my windshield. Dawn may cut it as it's known for being able to cut through may tough undesirables...

Same here. I picked one up at Wallyworld. I tried it once, and thought it sucked.

I picked up a bottle of Simple Green Multi-surface and Glass Cleaner (it is a blue liquid) at an overstock kind of store. It works very well in conjunction with a microfiber towel.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I don't apply any solutions to the dash, so no gassing problem from my actions.

I don't either, but I still get the film. Like I said, I can't prove this, but I believe the UV rays from sun cause the materials in the dash to give off some sort of gassy film that ends up on the windshield and this is what is so difficult to clean off...

You are right....They are called VOC's (volatile organic compounds) that will outgas for years, years and years. Glue residue from the dash and other volatile compounds are responsible for the film on your windshield. Oh..and that "NEW CAR SMELL"...VOC'S all the way...they smell good but its bad for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back