How does an oil filter work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FRAM has a nice picture showing how filters work on their site.

In a nutshell, oil goes in the ring of small holes, past the "flap" of the ADBV, then down the sides of the can until it fills and then goes through the media into the centre tube, then out the single large hole.

What he said!

Pic is courtesy of Micheal P in this thread... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2433599
OilFilter+%25281%2529.jpg

ADBV simply stops oil from back flowing to the pump, basically a one way or check valve.

If there is greater pressure outside the element than inside, the bypass will open and allow unfiltered oil to flow to the engine.

At least that is my understanding of it.

The pressure difference between the inlet to the filter and the outlet is what activates the bypass. Say you have 60 psi oil pressure going into the filter and the filter has a 6 psi bypass valve. If the outlet is 54 psi (60 - 54 = 6), the valve will begin to open and let some of the oil bypass the filter media. If the difference rises the bypass opens farther (a few pop wide open). If the bypass valve didn't open, excessive differential pressure from cold oil or a dirty, clogged filter would rip the filter media and bits of filter material plus all that dirt would enter the engine.

Originally Posted By: cp3
What he said!

Pic is courtesy of Micheal P in this thread... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2433599
OilFilter+%25281%2529.jpg

ADBV simply stops oil from back flowing to the pump, basically a one way or check valve.

If there is greater pressure outside the element than inside, the bypass will open and allow unfiltered oil to flow to the engine.

At least that is my understanding of it.

Actually there will always be a greater pressure (pressure differential) across the filter media. It's when that differential becomes too great (ie 8 psi) that the bypass valve opens and lets the oil flow around the media instead of through it.

Originally Posted By: k1rod

Actually there will always be a greater pressure (pressure differential) across the filter media. It's when that differential becomes too great (ie 8 psi) that the bypass valve opens and lets the oil flow around the media instead of through it.

Yes, or becomes greater than what ever spec the bypass is manufactured to.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Can someone explain how an oil filter works? Prefer one with an ADBV (MC FL-400s). Pictures,videos,or links to show this.

Been here since 2003; over 750 posts; and doesn't understand the basic operation of a filter?
What the heck?
Ahhhh - never mind.

The info presented here by others is good and accurate enough to be reliable.

Last edited:
Just wondering. Can a strong magnet stuck to the end of the filter effect the bypass valve functioning.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Can someone explain how an oil filter works? Prefer one with an ADBV (MC FL-400s). Pictures,videos,or links to show this.

Been here since 2003; over 750 posts; and doesn't understand the basic operation of a filter?
What the heck?
Ahhhh - never mind.

Why do you have to be sarcastic to my request? Does it make you feel like a big man to try and bring someone down? I know how an oil filter works.I wanted to see pictures or videos of one in action.I was also posting this for any other members that might NOT know how one works.

Big man? Nope.

But I must admit your statements are contradictory, at least to me.
You stated this first: Can someone explain how an oil filter works?
But then you later state this: I know how an oil filter works.

If you knew how one works, why would you ask for us to explain it to you?
If you didn't know how it works, why would you state that you do?
Your statements indicate a sense of purjury of sorts; you cannot claim both to be true.

Or, maybe you really do know how a filter works, but you want to know if the rest of us know how a filter works (sort of a large bandwidth rudimentary quiz?). Am I to presume that your intent was to enhance the education of others by quizzing us?

Regardless, if your intent was truly to educate others (and not yourself) then why not seek out the links that already exist using the search feature on this site? Or, once you found such good info, perhaps ask the staff here to create a sticky for quick consumption by any noob or lurker?

Perhaps I'm at fault for chiding you, but then you might admit that your question was (for a lack of a better term) a bit lazy. Well defined questions with confined parameters typically get good, detailed answers. Open-ended, somewhat careless questions generally get the snarky answers ...

However, I owe you the public apology if I directly offended you; I'm sorry as it was not my intent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Just wondering. Can a strong magnet stuck to the end of the filter effect the bypass valve functioning.

This question has come up a few times before, and the consensus is "no", a magnet near the bypass valve would not effect the normal functionality of the valve. Most valves are made out of plastic or some other non-metallic material anyway.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Big man? Nope.

But I must admit your statements are contradictory, at least to me.
You stated this first: Can someone explain how an oil filter works?
But then you later state this: I know how an oil filter works.

If you knew how one works, why would you ask for us to explain it to you?
If you didn't know how it works, why would you state that you do?
Your statements indicate a sense of purjury of sorts; you cannot claim both to be true.

Or, maybe you really do know how a filter works, but you want to know if the rest of us know how a filter works (sort of a large bandwidth rudimentary quiz?). Am I to presume that your intent was to enhance the education of others by quizzing us?

Regardless, if your intent was truly to educate others (and not yourself) then why not seek out the links that already exist using the search feature on this site? Or, once you found such good info, perhaps ask the staff here to create a sticky for quick consumption by any noob or lurker?

Perhaps I'm at fault for chiding you, but then you might admit that your question was (for a lack of a better term) a bit lazy. Well defined questions with confined parameters typically get good, detailed answers. Open-ended, somewhat careless questions generally get the snarky answers ...

However, I owe you the public apology if I directly offended you; I'm sorry as it was not my intent.

I now look back at my q? and how I asked it.I should have (to covince you) said I know how an oil filter works,but,can someone post pictures or videos?
By reading your response I can tell you are somewhat very educated.I apologize for not being able to ask my q? properly to your satisfaction.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
short link to vid above:

Thanks for posting, well done vid

Goose

I agree with Goose,this is a great video.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back