2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 L Oil Consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 L with 146k miles. I am using the recommended 5w-30 oil. I have to add about 2 qts of oil during my 3000 mile oil changes. I changed the PCV. There are no leaks. The engine runs very smoothy. I do tow a boat with it. What can I do to reduce the oil consumption? Should I use 10-40w?

Thanks,

Andy

And you are sure its burning it? I would not change grade or add anything. Are there any other crankcase breathers besides the PCV? You are on the upper end of normal. How heavy a boat? Is this once and awhile or all the time for towing?

I would not do it before winter. Are you going to be towing boats this winter? Try a HM 5w30 or 10w30 like MaxLife NextGen, or whatever HM you prefer. Give it a couple of tries. If there are no changes by the time it starts warming up try a 10w40.

Originally Posted By: Donald
And you are sure its burning it? I would not change grade or add anything. Are there any other crankcase breathers besides the PCV? You are on the upper end of normal. How heavy a boat? Is this once and awhile or all the time for towing?

Donald, I am assuming the oil is burning. There is no evidence of any leaks anywhere.Maybe that amount of oil usage is normal for that vehicle. I think I read somewhere that a qtr per thousand miles was acceptable? That sounds a little of to me?

I don't know if there are any others breathers on the 4.7. The boat I was towing with trailer was about 1000 lbs. The boat I have now is around 2500 lbs. Mostly I tow on the weekends about an hour each way.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I would not do it before winter. Are you going to be towing boats this winter? Try a HM 5w30 or 10w30 like MaxLife NextGen, or whatever HM you prefer. Give it a couple of tries. If there are no changes by the time it starts warming up try a 10w40.

Actually I just started using Max Life Next Gen 5w-30.:)

Andy on the 4.7L there are two crankcase breathers , one per cylinder head. These are on the very back of the motor towards the firewall , the can be screwed out and cleaned with carb cleaner. I did this recently on my 4.7L and it has reduced consumption very noticeably. Also clean the tubing from the breathers themselves as well. I would advise against a 40 weight in this motor , it will bog down power and the little fuel mileage it has as well. The 4.7L does best on a 30 weight preferably 5w-30.

Last edited:
People seem to have a common misconception that 10W-40 is a really really thick liquid. You
gotta get it down to about 19*F for it to be really really thick. It's totally different at 100*F.

Originally Posted By: Thax
Andy on the 4.7L there are two crankcase breathers , one per cylinder head. These are on the very back of the motor towards the firewall , the can be screwed out and cleaned with carb cleaner. I did this recently on my 4.7L and it has reduced consumption very noticeably. Also clean the tubing from the breathers themselves as well. I would advise against a 40 weight in this motor , it will bog down power and the little fuel mileage it has as well. The 4.7L does best on a 30 weight preferably 5w-30.

PM sent

I have an 02 WJ and to be truthful it doesnt use any oil, I dont drive it much lately, so I do a yearly oil change but at back when I drive it a lot and was using Amsoil 0w-30 it wouldnt use any oil in the 10-12K miles I was driving it a year and I watch my fluids like a hawk.

I would change the breathers as mentioned and maybe the PCV hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back