Oil Strainer in motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tay

some of the small bike or scooter have a small wire mesh strainer in the oil system.

does this really have any useful application? i assuming that the filter size is too large to catch anything useful. alot of bike doesn't have such strainer too and is doing fine.

Last edited:
The old Harleys had a wire mess filter , oil pump developed about 7 psi, now that was an impressive oiling system.
The good old VWs had an oil screen filter.
They would catch loose parts floating about and that is about all they were good for, they are better than nothing .

Remember also, many Continental and Lycoming aircraft engines were built with only a wire mesh filter strainer. Many are still flying today. Spin on filter adapters were not added until much later or by the aftermarket.

My X Max has such a screen according to the book it only needs cleaning. At the first service, a 600miler. I had lots of Hondas years ago that had mesh screens from memory, an XBR500 single and CG125 single.

The OCI on my scooter is 1800 miles but I have been doing it at 600, a bit overkill but it costs a few pounds only and due to the oil screen there is no filter to buy, but I always think that if I keep the oil spotless the. I will never have to bother about cleaning the screen.

If the screens are fine enough, checking tells you if there are problems not detectable in paper filters. Older KTMs have two screens and two filters. A mess for OC / good for the engine.

my moped have both paper filter and screen filter. i have not see anything get caught in the screen filter.

further more with the paper filter, i think the screen filter is just reducing the flow rate of the oil? i will rather have a magnetic plug:)

there are so many bike without any filter at all and is running just fine.

Last edited:
The screen is to stop anything big enough to take out the pump, same as a car.

It is this lack of easy access to the screen which had led to my 600 mile OCI.

But as it is a year old in a few weeks and is still not on 2500 miles I think my policy will help longevity in the long run.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
It is this lack of easy access to the screen which had led to my 600 mile OCI.

But as it is a year old in a few weeks and is still not on 2500 miles I think my policy will help longevity in the long run.

They normally aren't meant to be serviced, you have to take off a side cover to get to some of them.

Roller bearing bottom ends don't have much oil pressure, just flow...and screens seem to work pretty well in them.

I own some roller bearing bottom ends with NEGATIVE pressure!

(2 strokes)

All these things need is an occasional bit of oil, as long as they don't rust spot in storage they run a long time.

CB 250 Honda has an 8000 mile service interval for cleaning the oil pump screen, which requires pulling a side cover and the oil pump. It would be a nice alternative to have a plug that could be removed and the screen backflushed with a pressurized oil canister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back