Coolant for 04' civic with 1.7l engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What coolant should I use in this model vehicle? Does zerex or others make a coolant for honda/toyotas? I may get honda pre mix blue coolant as can get it at work.

thanks in advance

The Honda pre-mix would be so much easier and the extra bucks really aren't that big of a deal. I converted my 89 Accord to Dex Cool in 1997 and after that stuck with that type of coolant, diluted 50/50 with water from my reverse osmosis system. Never had any corrosion or heat related issues. If I had it to do over again I would have just stuck with the OEM stuff. That's only because of the ease and peace of mind knowing there is no question you used the "right" stuff.

Yeah, I flushed out the old to me coolant that was in it. Probably go with the honda blue pre mix then. thank you for that info.

Honda coolant - only a few bucks more and LASTS a long time. As in 7 yrs/100k miles. When you look at it that way its much cheaper than the aftermarket stuff.

I flushed my '04 civic that had an unknown green in it and replaced it with yellow bottle Prestone. (It was the cheapest at the time) I've had no problems in almost 1 yr. of use and will drain and fill with Prestone every couple of years from now on.

I wanted a full strength coolant because I did not pull the block drain so some water was still in the engine after flushing. The Honda Type 2 is pre-mixed and would require a "dry" cooling system to put it in.

Preston+water=$9
2 Gal. of Type 2=$30-40

FWIW I did a drain and fill on another Honda that had about 6 years on factory Type 2 and the coolant that came out was in great shape. It will continue to get regular drain/fills with Type 2.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Honda coolant - only a few bucks more and LASTS a long time. As in 7 yrs/100k miles. When you look at it that way its much cheaper than the aftermarket stuff.

+1

if you have a NAPA near you , Zerex Asian Vehicle is highly recommended. Thats our default go to for almost any Honda/toyota/nissan/hyundai or their subsidiaries.

I use OEM in my son's 2001 Honda Civic. The way coolant chemistries are now days, you need a PhD in Chemistry to know if an aftermarket coolant is okay ! I use OEM, it may cost a little more, but it will be right !

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Not true. 2001 Civic Owners Manual says, "replace engine coolant at 120,000 miles or 120 months.
then every 60,000 miles or 60 months." So it would be 60,000 miles or 60 months until next time.

Newer models with MM do not list clear intervals in the OM.

I ran PEAK Global in my Accord for 80K and everything looked like new when I changed the timing belt and water pump..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back