Oil Light on, then Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Light would stay on upon starting, go off after 2 or 3 seconds
I changed the oil using 5W-30 Valvoline Synth Blend and a Napa
Gold filter. Still happens. It is an '05 CTS 3.6 that never
uses a drop of oil at 50K. Should I be worried? Thanks

Yes, you should be worried.

That light only comes on when oil pressure is very low, and your engine isn't getting proper lubrication, if the oil level is OK, there's a serious pressure problem, either the oil pump or a blockage.

If it happened right after an oil change, I'd re do the change with a different filter (Pure One is my favorite), and with oil weight that Cadillac recommends. If it still occurs, I'd not drive the car and call the dealer.

If this is happening every time at start up hot or cold, I'd be a little concerned, would possibly indicate a filter drain back issue... As long as light isn't on at normal temp and driving habits, I doubt there is a engine issue...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
If this is happening every time at start up hot or cold, I'd be a little concerned, would possibly indicate a filter drain back issue... As long as light isn't on at normal temp and driving habits, I doubt there is a engine issue...

My thoughts as well. First time on a blend?

Check the oil pressure sender. They can fail internally and give the intermittent low oil pressure light. Sometimes they don't leak a drop, sometimes they start to seep a little around the plug, and sometimes they'll leak like something punched a hole in the oil pan. Inexpensive fix too.

Another possible cause is sludge (Or other debris) in the pick up screen for the oil pump, although that tends to result in a flicker from the warning light at idle when hot, in addition to a delay in oil pressure on initial start.
If this engine has been run on cheap dino oil with long service intervals it would be worth taking a look to see what is inside.
This engine does not have many miles, so it could be an electrical fault although oil pressure warning senders are very reliable.
Actual oil pump failures are very rare, they show up as a sudden jump in Iron contamination without an increase in the other wear metals in a UOA report.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbob
Light would stay on upon starting, go off after 2 or 3 seconds
I changed the oil using 5W-30 Valvoline Synth Blend and a Napa
Gold filter. Still happens. It is an '05 CTS 3.6 that never
uses a drop of oil at 50K. Should I be worried? Thanks

How long have you had this vehicle for? Has the oil light always stayed on after starting the car for 2-3 seconds as you say, or is this something that just started happening recently?

I would think that if this has been happening all along, then the oil light is just performing a self-test upon starting the car so that you can see that it is working (like all of the other lights usually do upon start-up).

However, if you are concerned, the best way to put your mind at ease is to have a competent mechanic hook up a manual gauge to the engine and start the car to see if the oil pressure comes up instantly or not. This will determine whether or not it is a problem starting to happen.

Good luck.

Lets go right for fixes.Try another filter, like a factory one.
[the reason is drainback]

Fix it? If not, the sending unit is next.
Also, your sending unit may be too far down the food chain, and it's poor location may delay the light going off.

be worried!
first try replacing the oil sender if that dont work it could be a problem... if its under warranty let them do it depending on what state you live in lemon law attorneys can be of free help and they sometimes win you a brand new car!
Dont let the stealer lie to you if he says they all do that let him show you others that do that

Last edited:
I looked up your car's oil filter on the Mobil-1 site. M1C-254
It says that filter doesn't have an anti-drainback valve.
Looked it up on the Wix site (57090) and they don't mention if it has the anti-drainback or not.

I wonder if the OEM filter is any different. Seems like if OEM had an anti-drainback then the reputable aftermarket brands would also.

I don't know anything about that engine, but maybe this is a drainback issue which is external to the filter.
It doesn't really seem like a sender problem, since the light goes out after a few seconds. The light is just acting like it's taking a few seconds to get oil pressure, as if the filter was dry.

Last edited:
I've had cars in the past that have done exactly that (several seconds delay for oil light to go out) on the first restart after an oil change. Pre-filling the filter usually helped, so it does seem like it could be a drainback issue.

OP, is this something that's just recently gotten worse or has it been like this for a while?

Change the filter first.

It is as if you are describing my Volvo.

FWIW, its not 2 or three seconds, now more like one.. but yes, we suspect filter needs cahnged.

Gotta get that (wrench) and that may very well take care of it.

What we have to do on my parents' jeep in the winter is hold the pedal to the floor and crank for 10-15 seconds so it won't start. It doesn't have an issue with the oil light coming on, but on cold mornings it knocks so bad you'd think it was going to spit out a rod. Cranking without running helps the cold start knock 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back