Oil recommendation for Chevy LS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy, I just bought a new Corvette GS with the dry sump LS3 6.2l and would like some input on which oil to use. It has under 2k miles on it and I've already done a few oil changes (don't get started, I know I'm nuts
grin.gif
) so I need to figure out what I'm going to run in it from now on.

I've heard it's good to run a high zddp oil and I ran amsoil in my last vette (though it was limited to 800ppm I believe). I was thinking about running their z-rod oil? I do a once a year change (around 3k miles or less) so cost isn't an issue. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome!

Though most of my driving is just around town I do take it to the strip and beat up on it as well.

Last edited:
I'd stick with a name brand full synthetic 5W30 until out of warranty for sure.

My preferences - PU5W30 then M1 0W40 once you run out the warranty.

I currently run either T6 5W40, M1 TDT 5W40, or M1 0W40 in my LS2 ... of course I am modified, high mileage, and way past warranty.

Opinions vary ... Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm not terribly worried about the warranty, it's getting a blower here as soon as I can afford it
smile.gif
. I'm just trying to get a feel if there is a stand out product that I may have overlooked. The only time I've ever noticed a difference with an oil was in the transmission of my last vette. I switched to amsoil and immediately received a much smoother shift feel.

Is this one a TR6060, or a 6L80E?

Are you going to build the bottom end for high boost, or just run the stock bottom with a low PSI huffer (and which one/type for that matter)??
(I see you are in the 'Republik' as they say.
lol.gif
Are you going to keep it CARB Gestapo legal, or go the no catcon/metal matrix catcon & longtubes route?)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Is this one a TR6060, or a 6L80E?

Are you going to build the bottom end for high boost, or just run the stock bottom with a low PSI huffer (and which one/type for that matter)??
(I see you are in the 'Republik' as they say.
lol.gif
Are you going to keep it CARB Gestapo legal, or go the no catcon/metal matrix catcon & longtubes route?)

It's a TR6060 manual which I just put amsoil torque-drive fluid in yesterday. Thanks to the crazies in office here in CA I'm going to try to keep it CARB legal (last vette wasn't even close so I had to sell it out of state, got lucky on that one). It's going to get a low pressure system (most run around 4.5psi) and a z06 exhaust (looks stock but larger diameter) with removable cats. If I end up using a system that taps into the cars oil system I will have to make sure the oil is compatible but the edelbrock blower looks pretty tempting and it's a sealed system so I won't have to worry about which oil I use.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Gotta meet 4718M

Nope, they no longer list this in the new Corvette's owner's manuals. They now call for dexos1 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back