What to do to slow down oil burn? 2010 Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad's prius is burning quite a bit of oil these days... He is at 9K miles on his oil change interval and already have put in over 2 quarts of top-off-oil. I would say about 1qt every 4K miles or so.

I have been using Toyota 0W20 for his changes... I was thinking of maybe switching to a different type of oil to slow down the consumption. What other 0W20 options run a bit thicker? ( I think that is what I would want, maybe closer to a 0W30 spec? )

Car has around 70K miles on the ODO. It recently start burning heavily more recently.

Appreciate the help and suggestions!

1 qt every 4k+ miles is acceptable.

Try QSUD 0W20 maybe? I used QSUD 5W20 and had NO oil usage at all with it.

I had oil usage with PU, so not a big fan, but that was with SM.

I am using Acura 0W20 SM, and no oil usage at all.

Ask on a Prius forum, although I would guess that one idea would be to switch to an 0 or 5/30 oil, but make sure that the problem is not caused by a crank case vent valve that is stuck etc. It might also help to add a can of Liqui Moly stop leak.

I would say this is very uncommon in prius, especially with low miles. I noticed 200cc of oil consumption in the first 10,000 miles and zero in the second 10,000 miles in my 2010 prius. Sounds like it should be a warranty issue, except 1qt in 1000 miles is the Toyota threshold for action. I know, this is ridiculous.

Edit: I just saw the 70,000 miles, never mind the warranty part.
My Corolla started oil consumption at that mark with dino oil every 5000 miles. I fixed it by several treatments with MMO and kreen. Food for thought.

Last edited:
So the oil consumption has increased lately? What oil has been primarily been used over the last 2 years? Have you checked the PCV valve and is the car up to date on all maintenance?

Maybe all those VII's in the Toyota 0w20 are breaking down and causing some ring sticking.
27.gif
J/K. Unlikely.

The oil may not be the problem. If it is, I suggest using Mobil 1 0w20 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w20.

More info needed.

I would look first for the mechanical reason for the increased oil consumption such as clogged PCV valve etc and try to correct it. Pull the plugs and see if any show signs oil oil burning; it could be just one defective valveguide seal. I wouldn't go with a thicker oil unless you've given up on solving the reason for the "problem". Is the car still under warranty?

If it looks like you'll just going to have to accept the higher oil consumption, first I don't consider 4,000 miles per quart to be a requirement to run a heavier than necessary oil.
But if you want to, simply substitute a quart of M1 0W-40. This will give you a heavier 0W-20 than anything you can buy while minimizing the effect on the start-up viscosity since you'll still retain a 200+ VI.

A compression check may be in order. Auto-Rx to clean the ring pack if low compression. As others have said, PCV and any other crankcase vents.

Do you get a puff of smoke at startup? If so thats valve stem seals.

Maybe your engine was assembled by someone on his first day at work and he carefully lined up the ring gaps?

Originally Posted By: Donald

Maybe your engine was assembled by someone on his first day at work and he carefully lined up the ring gaps?

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I would say this is very uncommon in prius, especially with low miles. I noticed 200cc of oil consumption in the first 10,000 miles and zero in the second 10,000 miles in my 2010 prius. Sounds like it should be a warranty issue, except 1qt in 1000 miles is the Toyota threshold for action. I know, this is ridiculous.

Edit: I just saw the 70,000 miles, never mind the warranty part.
My Corolla started oil consumption at that mark with dino oil every 5000 miles. I fixed it by several treatments with MMO and kreen. Food for thought.

The guys over at Art's Automotive exchanged a few messages with me regarding oil consumption on the Gen II Prius. They said they began to notice it more frequently as the engines got older.

With that said, I am at 44k on mine and the oil level has gone down a bit. I will check again tonight after the 200 mile drive.

If I were the OP, I would just switch to a high-mileage 5w30 oil. I seriously doubt any lubrication issues would arise.

Ill replace the plugs (since they will be out anyway to inspect) and try to locate the PCV valve on this engine. Ill also go with a different 0W20 and see if any benefit when I change next.

I have done the PCV on my Xb with ease but when quickly looking did not see where this one was. Anybody know to guide me?

If it were me I'd put half a can of Lubromoly in it on your next oil change. Plus, use a decent semi synt or synth oil.

Those small displacement hybrid engines are worked hard on the freeway.

Well I have been using nothing but Toyota 0W20 but I am going to switch to Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 which is readily available around me now. Also, I would say 75% or more of the driving is city on this car.

I will get that PCV changed and inspect the plugs. See if that improves consumption and closely track the burn rate. If that does not work ill try additives or a high mileage type of oil?

Hi xBa. I'm assuming that it hasn't had any incidents where it's been badly overheated or run on low oil pressure. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xBa380
Also, I would say 75% or more of the driving is city on this car.

That is a lot of city miles on a 2-3 year old car! Hard to believe, but I guess possible.

Now, putting it in a proper perspective, 2Qts of oil in 10,000 miles is nothing major or worrisome. I would personally change PCV, and do a few MMO or better Kreen treatments near the end of OCIs. Now is the perfect timing, as you are near the next oil change.

After 75,000 miles of city driving spark plugs are likely worn out. I would replace them and use this opportunity to do a Kreen piston soak. You can follow it by a kreen treatment in crankcase and finally kreen flush just before oil change. If that does nothing, you have to live with it and keep it full all the time.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The guys over at Art's Automotive exchanged a few messages with me regarding oil consumption on the Gen II Prius. They said they began to notice it more frequently as the engines got older.

With that said, I am at 44k on mine and the oil level has gone down a bit. I will check again tonight after the 200 mile drive.

If I were the OP, I would just switch to a high-mileage 5w30 oil. I seriously doubt any lubrication issues would arise.

I'm not sure I would assume anything based on gen 2 that had a different engine. But, I'm seriously considering moving to xW30 oils when warranty expires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back