Best year of Hyundai Santa fe's - 05'-06'-07'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And which engine/model is the best in reliability; ease of maintenance, and fuel mileage

My Mom is dead-set on wanting a Hyundai Santa-fe; can only afford somewhere in the 04-07 model year ranges

I understand the 04-06's are similar; and the '07 is a newer model design.

Help me learn what is the best year; engine, etc and what the quirks are of each year/engine/transmission.

The SUV would HAVE to be an automatic, no question

All comments are wonderful

My understanding is the 2.7L is better for fuel; whereas the 3.5L is labeled as a gas hog.

The suv would be used for 75-80% highway in Colorado weather; would definitely endure 20 miles of what can be a mud road in winter; towing is not a concern.

Don't mind a vehicle a slight tad heavy for the engine output, as long as it's not too bad in that regard; only if gas mileage makes up for the difference however.

From What i've Read the 04-07's had passenger airbag recalls. I think at one point the Santa Fe went from a full time 4wd to now 08+? is full time all wheel drive. Some of the earlier models had either full or part time awd systems. My neighbor across the street had an 04-06 which is a first generation. If your mom can afford a second generation I'd go for it as ther were alot of updates. The second gens Started in 2007

Last edited:
Hyundai's are only getting better as time goes by. The 01-06 Santa Fe's all have timing belts that are required to be replaced every 5yrs/60k. The 07-09's have a belt on the base 2.7 v6. The 10-13's are all chain driven.
As far as recalls go on the airbags, there are none. The 07-08, and some 09's have a campaigns to replace the clockspring and update the passenger occupant detection system. Neither are major concerns.
On the 1st generation Santa Fe's, avoid the 3.5l v6, while more powerful, the 2.7l v6 is far more reliable and easier to replace the timing belt on. The 3.5l is really a borrowed motor from Mitsubishi.
On the 07's, avoid the 2.7l v6. It is not the same 2.7 as the more durable 2.7l v6 from the 01-06 models. This 2.7 only stuck around for 3 model years in the Santa Fe. Kia also used this motor in the Sonata based Optima. The Sonata got the 3.3l v6, which was used on the higher trim levels of the 07-09 Santa Fe.
When buying either generation Santa Fe, make sure the maintenance has been done, meaning all manufacturer intervals have been followed. Hyundai's are very reliable when maintained, but people who take the "all you need to do is change the oil", approach have a terrible time. This is especially true of the the transmissions. they won't last 100k without regular fluid changes, meaning every 30k. If the fluid isn't changed by 60k the tranny's start to go south, and noticeably.

Thank you both greatly...this helps a lot.

I was wondering if the 2.7L was the better engine, I hear more good things about that one.

An 07 or newer might be pushing the envelope budget wise, as this car will be paid in cash for after most likely trading off a 17yr old van in it's place.

Keep the opinions coming

A co-worker of mine had an '04 FWD with the 2.7L. His went 210,000 miles before he traded it. It was a decent car, and I rather liked the engine. Somewhat loud (could have been thin cabin insulation), but butter-smooth.

my brother has a 04 2.7L with no complaints.

problems: warped rotors at 91,000 miles
harsh downshifting fixed with an adaptive reset(free).

i have noticed it does darken (root beer color) the trans fluid quick. but i change the fluid with castrol import or maxlife to combat it. mike

Originally Posted By: salv

On the 07's, avoid the 2.7l v6. It is not the same 2.7 as the more durable 2.7l v6 from the 01-06 models..

Why is that? I've never heard any complaints on the 2007-2009 Santa Fe's equipped with a 2.7L. I owned a 2008 AWD GLS from 38K to ~75Kmiles. Not too much differences between the 2007+ and older. 2007+ are a shim/bucket lash adjustment DOHC w/ coil-on-plug ignition, dual runner intake w/ vacuum actuation. 2006 and older had HLA's I believe and no coil-overs. Heads and block had slight differences too IIRC.

The 4spd F4A51 is old-school on the 2.7's, but easy to maintain. The AWD system is tough, reliable and easy to service. My Santa Fe was my favorite winter vehicle of ALL the 4x4/AWD's I've owned. Unstoppable. I even retrieved stuck vehicles with my Santy.

Only thing I hated was it topped out at low 20's for MPGs. I did have issues with wheel bearings, but I did buy it used. Replaced two to the tune of ~$800 and had a third failing before I traded it in.

If I were to ever buy one again, it would be the 3.5L, 5spd auto combo. That extra gear comes in handy for highway MPGs.

Ramblin, I've got some write-ups floating around for F4A51 fluid changes as well as T-Case and rear diff service for 2007-2009 2.7 AWD Santys if you need'em! If 2.7L in AWD or FWD is a must, I'd go 2007-2009. 2009 would be the latest and greatest of the previous generation. Pretty much all bugs worked out. Santys are typically in the top 10 least expensive vehicles to insure, which is nice.

Joel

Last edited:
Guys, I would MORE then love an 07-09, just not sure that's in the budget. We're going to be paying cash; so I'm guessing the 05-06 time frame is probably what we're aiming for.

But which version/package am I looking for in those years?

I want the most reliable, definitely ease of maintenance (if that's possible), I can compensate on fuel mileage for reliability.

The worst the truck would see is 2-3" of gooey mud (on occasion during winter), snow and ice...so you tell me what driveline would be best.

Thanks guys for your help!

Friend of mine has a 2003 Santa Fe with 135000 miles. I've gotta give the thing credit for surviving so far! They bought it in 2005 IIRC, used, with low mileage and it hasn't received an ounce of maintenance in 7 years. It runs, not great ... but runs.

I'm not a huge fan of the shared mitsu/chrysler power tranes in them (specifically the Chrysler trasnsxle). The trans started to act up and I sucked out 3 quarts and replaced two times and it seems to be shifting okay again ... still pretty harsh.

The 4 cyl is underpowered, and I've heard the same about the 2.7 as well. The suspension on that era of Hyundai don't seem to hold up that well. I was helping a friend do a brake job on one ... and that turned into doing ball joints, knuckles, sub frame bolts and bushings and struts.

To be honest, even though it's underpowered, I'd pick the 4 cyl.

They also have what looks to be a decent sized transmission cooler in them! Major props there!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
Guys, I would MORE then love an 07-09, just not sure that's in the budget. We're going to be paying cash; so I'm guessing the 05-06 time frame is probably what we're aiming for.

Ramblin, I would personally avoid anything older than a 2007. The
Originally Posted By: Miller88

I'm not a huge fan of the shared mitsu/chrysler power tranes in them (specifically the Chrysler trasnsxle).

The F4A51 4spd AT used in the 2009 and under Santa Fe is not a Chrysler transaxle. Never has been. It may have been used on Mitsubishi products re-badged as Chryslers. That's as close as it got. They do have drain plugs and can be easily refilled through the dipstick. The very first model year or two of the Santa Fe with the F4A51 had a spin-on AT filter. Later models have an internal filter that can only be replaced by removing the front pan and valve body. There's no lower pan on the F4A51.

Joel

JTK - thanks for the insight....wondering if it isn't worth looking into another Chrysler t&c then.

Can't find any 07's around here for $6k or less, so it's not an option....well maybe, if a dealer is willing to take the cash for one or a good pvt owner.

Ok...so if I went with an 07' which is the newest I could *possibly* go, which one should I get? I know there are 2 engine options for this year, and it would have to be AWD cause 4-by's not offered, right?

AND, if I still opted for an 06, is the 4wd version as expensive/complicated as the AWD version?

Regarding, 05-06's my preference would be for a 4-by, NOT the All wheel Drive version anyways....does that make for a better truck or no?

Last edited:
Yeah, ~$6K is going to be tough. That would barely buy you a high mileage Chevy Cobalt in my area.

Santa Fe's of this vintage are either front wheel drive or on demand 4x4. They aren't all wheel drive.

For long term reliability a Santa Fe without 4x4 (FWD only) would have less parts to potentially break. I know my 2008 had great weight distribution and went excellent through the snow w/out the back-end needing to kick in. The "4x4" systems are different between the 2006 and under and 2007+. The 2006 are FWD and kick the back end in to 50% during wheel slip. The 2007 can vary the amount of power sent to the rear, up to ~40%. All models have a 4x4 lock button where power is sent 50/50 for speeds up to 15mph, then it's FWD only. They get amazingly good traction with good tires, especially crawling along in 4x4 lock mode.

4cyl, FWD would be your cheapest and potentially least expensive to maintain.

2.7L V6's are avail FWD and 4x4. Either engine is going to have a timing belt.

Joel

Last edited:
ok...so if I were to get an 05-06 with the 4wd, you're saying the transaxle is just as expensive as a new transmission? Sorry...trying to ge a handle on this.

Yeah...I just looked at some 07's in our area, they're going for $18k+; a good down-payment would make the payments good, but just not sure it's worth doing....the van this santa-fe would replace is still in 100% perfect condition, despite the blendor doors failing, pending a $1,500 repair bill...just not sure we want to keep putting money into a 17yr old vehicle.

And at the same time, don't understand why we couldn't find a good used vehicle for $6k or so.

ok...so if I were to get an 05-06 with the 4wd, you're saying the transaxle is just as expensive as a new transmission? Sorry...trying to ge a handle on this.

Yeah...I just looked at some 07's in our area, they're going for $18k+; a good down-payment would make the payments good, but just not sure it's worth doing....the van this santa-fe would replace is still in 100% perfect condition, despite the blendor doors failing, pending a $1,500 repair bill...just not sure we want to keep putting money into a 17yr old vehicle.

Well the transaxle is a transmission ... but with the differential and axles in it as well.

Unless you do any offroading (which I wouldn't even consider in a Santa Fe), you can get by anything with just the FWD model. The savings in difference between FWD and 4x4/AWD are going to be more than a set of good snow tires (if you live in a snowy climate)

Quote:

And at the same time, don't understand why we couldn't find a good used vehicle for $6k or so.

Cash 4 Clunkers

Originally Posted By: JTK

Ramblin, I would personally avoid anything older than a 2007. The

I'm not a huge fan of the shared mitsu/chrysler power tranes in them (specifically the Chrysler trasnsxle).

The F4A51 4spd AT used in the 2009 and under Santa Fe is not a Chrysler transaxle. Never has been. It may have been used on Mitsubishi products re-badged as Chryslers. That's as close as it got. They do have drain plugs and can be easily refilled through the dipstick. The very first model year or two of the Santa Fe with the F4A51 had a spin-on AT filter. Later models have an internal filter that can only be replaced by removing the front pan and valve body. There's no lower pan on the F4A51.

Joel

When my friend's 03 was having problems with the transmission, I didn't get under and look for a drain plug (working in an apartment parking lot) , but there was no filter. I think that was discontinued for the 2003 MY. I sucked out and and replaced with a hand pump.

Is this a Mitsu transmission that ended up in a Chrysler product? Or was it never in anything Chrysler?

All in all, it seems to be a pretty simple vehicle. it is a bit low on my list of used cars, but I would consider a 5 speed 2.4 Santa Fe to replace my focus (if it was cheap enough). There's a lot of space in the engine bay on the 2.4. The only thing I don't like is how the coils are buried under three covers ... I'm surprised they don't blow coils more often (but apparently it is a known problem)

Last edited:

Is this a Mitsu transmission that ended up in a Chrysler product? Or was it never in anything Chrysler?

The F4A51 was originally a Mitsubishi transmission. All the rights of which were sold to Hyundai/Kia years ago. Hyundai/Kia took it over, tweaked/improved it some and sold the heck out of them. AFAIK it's still used in the Tucson & Sportage.

Joel

Thank you guys for all your help...I definitely love the idea of the newer 07 Santa-Fe's; but having a car payment versus the $1,500 to fix the van just isn't worth it. Specially with the 3yr warranty on the new transmission, van being completely rust free, mint condition, fairly new tires, etc.

After the 3yrs, if major problems arise, then we'll go from there; perhaps by then the 07-08 Santa-Fe's will be more affordable.

I just can't see paying out $16-18k (market value right now) for some of the '07-08' Santa-fe's I've seen with over 70k miles; some are pushing over 100k and still asking that price....pathetic, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back