Supercharger whine: ricey or cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cool, but I dunno if I would want it in a daily driver.

and to be honest a tame looking DD that whines, my first thought probably would be whats wrong with it?

when I got my ram 1500 everyone wondered when I was gonna put an aftermarket exhaust on it. Not gonna do it, the OE sounds good at higher rpms to me and is quiet the rest of the time. My brothers hemi has aftermarket exhaust including headers, sounds awesome, but to ride more than 15 min in it sucks.

like others have said its a personal choice.

Last edited:
I would get tired of the SC whine as a daily driver. Might be fun at a track for a couple of runs but after that it would irritate me. I was in traffic beside a mini cooper S on sunday after about the second red light I was thinking "Quit your whining"
mad.gif
. On my turbo volvo you can only hear a slight turbo spool. Very subtile even with a tune. I would say SC whine falls into the ricey/tacky catagory IMHO.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Sorry earlyre but no Hemis in Dakotas. 4.7 perhaps?

pretty much what i suspected/assumed, according to him, my brother (the truck's owner), "it is a hemi, that's why its labeled high output"

personally, i thought if it was a hemi, dodge darn sure would have slapped a hemi badge on it....
but what am i gonna do? spend all day arguing with my brother? i think not. just smile and nod...

Last edited:
The Supercharger whine on my 6.0 Liter GTO? Not ricey, that's for sure.

My Regal GS runs 13.70-80's. Silent until you go WOT. The M90 has a nice growlely whine to it. Suprises a lot of people and when crusing silent as church mouse. I love it.
You couldn't hear it until I changed out the air box. Now you only hear when you lay into it.

Same here on my Caprice. The supercharger is pretty well silent until you get into boost. Holden put nearly no baffles in the CAI on the L67 in Holdens. 10lb pulley makes it come in that much earlier now, but still nothing at regular operation...can be heard outside the car at considerable distance I'm told

My Nissan turbodiesel has always had a pleasant whine when working, like overtaking or hills, somehting to let you know that the 15psi boost is with you

After sucking some water through the stupid factory intake area (passenger side wheel well), I fitted a snorkel. While I love it, and it is worth maybe half a gear, it roars (like the Adam West batmobile) at times when it really starts moving air.

I can't say I really like the SC sounds in those youtube clips. I think the exhaust isn't loud enough to balance out the whine? I really like the noises a SC'd Elise makes with a "sport" exhaust but I guess it would be too much for a luxury DD.

Not my favorite sound to hear driving around.

My wife/I got to borrow a CTS-V wagon. Incredible car but did not love that whine in that otherwise strong sounding motor.

Sounds cool. I remember along time ago I was at a race track and there was a chevy that had a awesome whine coming from the supercharger. That's all you heard till it past then you heard the exhaust system.

I like it. For a very short while I had a SVT Lightning, and loved the whine. That thing held up to a lot of abuse very well other than door welds breaking repeatedly and a persistent differential drip. Great vehicle, if totally pointless.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Here's a higher quality one.

That sounds a lot better, but still a little high pitched.

The Vulcan is kind of a vacuum cleaner with a s/c, but I'd still like to have one.

The Vortech I had in my LS400 had a pretty nice whine to it. Nothing like a super-loud V1, but nice nonetheless.
I don't see anything ricey about forced induction except for the kids in Volkswagens who put loud blow-off valves on them.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The Vortech I had in my LS400 had a pretty nice whine to it. Nothing like a super-loud V1, but nice nonetheless.
I don't see anything ricey about forced induction except for the kids in Volkswagens who put loud blow-off valves on them.

Have you ever seen high boost/high HP car with quiet BOV? I haven't. As of me, I like BOV "whistle" sounds. SC constant whine is annoying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MBS500
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Have you ever seen high boost/high HP car with quiet BOV? I haven't. As of me, I like BOV "whistle" sounds. SC constant whine is annoying.
I know. I'm talking about kids who listen to dubstep or hip-hop in their stock Volkswagen 1.8ts with an HKS SSQV or TurboXS RFL blow-off just chirping all over the place. "But it's also got a chip, yo! It has like 350 pounds of torques, yo! Stage 2 bro!" Yeah whatever. Since when have the neighborhood mosquitoes in their VW turbos been high boost or high HP? Never. Same goes for the kids in their $500 Hondas with $250 eBay turbo kits.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: dparm
Here's a higher quality one.

That sounds a lot better, but still a little high pitched.

The Vulcan is kind of a vacuum cleaner with a s/c, but I'd still like to have one.

How much power does the Ranger make? I could not read it.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

How much power does the Ranger make? I could not read it.

I'm not sure how much that particular truck makes. The Whipple kit was advertised as 230 hp / 260 ft. lbs., but with a more aggressive tune and some other mods it's easy to go above that. It's not a ton of HP, but it's more than any factory Ranger and was covered by the factory warranty if dealer installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back