Oil rec for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to the board and have been doing lots of searching and found that No two people have the same situation. I have a 05 Dodge 2500 with a cummins. Primary work is farm use but I also drive it for family use, around 20000 miles a year. My OCI is 7500 and have been using Mobil delvac. Should I be using a synthetic for the long haul. I want to keep the truck for atleast 250000.

The 15/40 Delvac is a long life oil for trucks, but their 5/40 might be a better choice in winter.
Figuring out your oil and filter change interval will make more of a difference than which oil you use, as long as you pick an approved major brand with a good reputation.
If your type of truck has an owners forum it is worth asking them for an opinion. They might suggest Mobil 5/40 turbo diesel oil as another possiblity if you are a Mobil fan, or even one of the cheaper 10/40's.
As you are doing 3 OCI's a year then I would recommend using the expensive 5/40 fully synthetic in the winter only, then changing to a cheaper oil. Don't worry about mixing them in top up terms and always use a real Cummins filter, as the filters are just as important as the oil.

Mobil oil finder guide:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/Vehicle_Chooser/VehicleChooser.aspx?option=2

Last edited:
Our oil distributor for the farm has Mobil 1 5w40 in 5 gal for $15/gal. At that price I could afford to run it year round. I habe been using Napa gold filters as they are made by wix. Do you have any suggestions for OCI on trans and diff.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...044#Post2753044

That is a link to the thread in the BITOG oil analysis section showing how Rotella T6 5w40 worked in my 2001 Cummins Dodge for 24,000 miles. It still had plenty of TBN left at 24k miles, and wear metals were still acceptable. Since your engine has EGR, I wouldn't recommned that you try for that many miles right off, but I think you can go 12k miles, and do an oil analysis to check the oil condition and decide from there. At 7500 miles, the oil should still have plenty of life remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back