Grease for calpier slide pins and contact points?

I use sil-glyde as well on my vehicles. My buddy who is a 10+yr mechanic at the local toyota dealership was the one who recommended I use this product. They use it at the dealership on all brake jobs.

I just did a brake job and used a pink colored ceramic grease for disk brakes, it can stand up to 2000°F and is for brake jobs. Permatex makes it and seems to work very well, this the second brake job I've used it for.

I find it hard to believe that ANY grease can withstand 2000°F unless it is pure graphite.

Put a torch to the grease until it is bright yellow (that's the color of 2000°F) and let me know what it looks like then.

2000 degrees doesn't have a colour; it depends on the material. That might apply to heated steel or a lit torch but its not universal.

But that being said, realistically, if your brakes hit 2000 degrees, you won't be around anymore for the company to worry about you complaining that the brake grease didn't hold up.

You're likely right that it only refers to the ceramics or graphite in the grease still "lubricating" despite well...the brake components melting down.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I find it hard to believe that ANY grease can withstand 2000°F unless it is pure graphite.

Put a torch to the grease until it is bright yellow (that's the color of 2000°F) and let me know what it looks like then.

If my failing memory is correct, my study of this stuff told me that the oil part of the grease was still only good for the typical 400 - 600F +/-. The 2,000F part is from the left over boundary portion.....moly,teflon, ceramic or whatever.

Dow Molykote 77 TDS: "At temperatures above 446F the carrier volatolizes..........and the remaining dry sliding film takes over......up to 842F"
http://www3.dowcorning.com/DataFiles/090007c88000445b.pdf

I tried the purple Bendix Ceram lube...it dried out on my enclosed pins, as did the green Permatex PAO.

On my very recent Caravan brake job, the Silglyde I used was still intact and wet/greasy. I'm done with the new fangeled products.

Silcone or Sil Glyde (castor oil, tiny bit of silicone)for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas

I find it hard to believe too, but the temp I stated as such is on the tube. I've used it before and it worked well for me, obviously opinions vary.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I think this is new, but I picked up a tube at my last brake work and it seams to work well:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accesso...ier=416297_0_0_

Like I said above, my foray into the newest and latest brake lubes was a fail.

Look at the marketing spin on the new CRC Silaramic:
"Got ceramic brakes and a need for speed? Use the right grease! New CRC SILARAMIC Brake System Grease works with all brake systems and components but it's especially great for ceramic brakes which operate at extremely high temperatures. CRC SILARAMIC will stay in place and won't run on friction pads or rotors at braking temperatures from -50°F to over 3,000°F."

Come on, now, give me a brake.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: Tempest
I think this is new, but I picked up a tube at my last brake work and it seams to work well:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accesso...ier=416297_0_0_

Like I said above, my foray into the newest and latest brake lubes was a fail.

Look at the marketing spin on the new CRC Silaramic:
"Got ceramic brakes and a need for speed? Use the right grease! New CRC SILARAMIC Brake System Grease works with all brake systems and components but it's especially great for ceramic brakes which operate at extremely high temperatures. CRC SILARAMIC will stay in place and won't run on friction pads or rotors at braking temperatures from -50°F to over 3,000°F."

Come on, now, give me a brake.

You'll get no argument from me on the marketing, but have you seen a Castrol commercial lately? It was something that I saw and it said that it was all silicone + the solid lube so I gave it a shot. It is very thick and sticky and so far holding up.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Thanks for the info gentlemen - I'm also going to get a container of the Sil-Glyde. Currently $9 at Amazon for 8oz tube:

http://www.amazon.com/Sil-Glyde-Brake-Lubricant-tube-BK-8/dp/B000KMRT5M/ref=lh_ni_t

I'm really liking the Motorcraft XG-3-A. I'm under the impression that 3M #08946 may be very similar as the product description and applications are the same.

I picked up an 8oz jar of eBay this morning for $20 shipped. Much better than sil-glyde.

Slider pins with steel on steel contact and rubber dust boots get chassis grease. Slider pins running in rubber sleeves get dow #4 dielectric grease. Unprotected contact points and the exposed fiat style wedge sliders on my Yugo gets copper antiseize. I also use anti seize on drum contact points.

Originally Posted By: MontyD
I have had good luck with AC Delco Synthetic Brake Lubricant
Part# 10-4019 it is also rated at 2000*F
This is what GM advises to use.
It comes in an 8oz can so it should last a good while.

I was in a local Chevy dealer the other day shopping for batteries, ($129, no thanks).

Then I noticed a tube of the AC-Delco Silicone grease in a display case, they looked up the price, $31+ tax for an 8oz tube, ouch! Passed on that as well, even the parts guy was a little shocked at the price.

Think I'll stay with the $6 Sil-Glyde for now.

I use Dow 111 silicone and have had no problems with it. I make sure that it is a light coat on the pins so as to make sure they don't hydro-lock.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: Petersubaru
GM's offical caliper pin grease #18048057 "Organic Grease"..contains Dow corning molykote G-407..I ordered this product last Sept thru the local gm dealer (had to be sent from Kentucky to Canada

Called a couple of GM dealers, the above part number was not working, so they said.

I ended up getting a tube of Sil-Glyde SG-8 at NAPA for $6.99. Advance Auto also had Sil-Glyde SG-4 but it was amber colored verses the whitish NAPA Sil-Glyde. NAPA version also said "Contains Silicone" and a temp range of -20F - +600F. AAP Sil-Glyde didn't mention silicone and the temp range was -20F - +400F.

Cleaned out the Green Permatex lube on the Cutlass when I got home, I just replaced the rotors/pads and pin boots a few weeks ago, the Permatex was already gumming up. Interestingly, the Napa Sil-Gylde looks whitish in the tube but goes on a faint pink/purple.

Also, noticed the FSM recommends silicone lube on the pins, the Green Permatex bottle says synthetic, not silicone. [/quote]...Good to know that the GM dealer may not be able to supply the organic grease anymore..so I will have to plan ahead for next spring when I exchange my 12 yr old rotors for new ones...since recommending the organic grease approx.2 yrs ago, I would like to state the problems that I experienced before using the grease has disappeared completely and never returned... both sides of all 4 rotors are kept completely clean with no dragging of the pads on the rotors to brown up the sides..I will continue to use this product for all calipers manufactured by akobono since the tolerance between pin and cylinder are very tight ..for all the other vehicles in our large family..the long time trusted Sil-glyde is used and easily purchased from Napa...

Originally Posted By: Petersubaru
I ended up getting a tube of Sil-Glyde SG-8 at NAPA for $6.99. Advance Auto also had Sil-Glyde SG-4 but it was amber colored verses the whitish NAPA Sil-Glyde. NAPA version also said "Contains Silicone" and a temp range of -20F - +600F. AAP Sil-Glyde didn't mention silicone and the temp range was -20F - +400F.

I believe you got caught up in some marketing mis-ques! I know, because I also scrutinize (OCD) purchases and thought there were different Silglydes.

A look at the AGS web site shows SG8 and SG4 to be the same:
http://www.agscompany.com/lubricants/automotive/168

Furthermore, if you look at their MSDS you will discover that SilGlyde is not a true silicone grease like the Motorcraft or Dow products. SilGlyde contains less than 13% silicone.

Amber vs. white/clear? An older tube will turn amber. Stick some out in the sun and it turns yellow in a few hours. Real silicones don't do this. I called the company and the tech. said it was probably the castor oil in the grease that might be turning color.

Their product tech. sheet also waffles on the 400F vs. 600F temperature range. Check it out.

In the "palm under water" test, the Silglyde is not as water proof as true silicone.

In spite of all this, my use of various new technology brake grease was disappointing and I returned to Silglyde as my favorite. A lot of old timers use it for a reason.

I would not hesitate to use the Ford product also. It probably has better water resistance, if that is a problem. I think the temp. thing is overplayed, unless you are talking high performance apps., just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Motorcraft XG-3-A:

SILICA, AMORPHOUS 5-10%

3M #08946:

POLY(DIMETHYLSILOXANE) 60-100%
PROPRIETARY COMPONENTS 1-15%
QUARTZ 0.1-10%

Sil-glyde:

Polypropylene glycol 30-60%
Dimethyl silicone polymer with silica 7-13%

21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Sil-glyde:

Polypropylene glycol 30-60%
Dimethyl silicone polymer with silica 7-13%
21.gif

To add more insult, look up msds cas# for the Sil-glyde "Dimethyl silicone polymer with silica" and it seems that the 7-13% stuff is actually "silconized silica". Silica is a filler as far as I know (paints, etc.). So, in truth, I "think" that the true silicone content of Silglyde is really less than 5%.

IMO, the SIL in Silglyde stands for silica, not silicone.

Having said all this, Silglyde has a great reputation for working excellent in brakes. Polypropylene glycol and castor oil must be good lubes?

A more revealing msds, showing castor oil and 6-13% Methylated Silica cas 67762-90-7 : http://www.winzerusa.com/ecat/msds/889_13400_7.pdf

Back