what is a 3-gallon air compressor good for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of getting an entry level 3-gallon air compressor (0.6 scfm @ 90 psi). Just for occasional week DIY tasks. What type of tools could you run with this? Nailer? 3/8" Ratchet? 3" Cutoff saw? Reciprocating saw? Paint sprayer?

it would have to be a high end one to run any of those things. i have a 20 gal and it wont run my air hammer or 1/2 impacts but its a junk craftsman but its brand new.

Last edited:
I received a Craftsman 3 Gallon Horizontal Air Compressor for Christmas, which is about the largest we can accommodate in the garage right now. Anyway, it's been good for inflating tires, running a grease gun and of course blowing of dust and the like. The hose that came with it was a joke, breaking soon after it was deployed, but the connectors are standard and I get decent value from it with a 15' "real" air hose.

.6 at 90 PSI is tiny. I'd get one with a 15 amp motor, about 2hp, the CFM across this class will be several times more. This is the most you can run on a standard outlet and if you look around can get one for $100.

Depending on what you are running, we don't have enough info. Many of the so called air compressors in stores for the mom and pop use are really , can we say junky. Like a bicycle from walmart, they are expendable these days. Just be a buyer beware person on those things. If you want something that will do a good job, get a 30 gallon unit, u will be able to do all you want to do with that one, a mans unit for sure.

Last edited:
0,6 scfm at 90 will need to run continuous just to fill tires, let alone anything else.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
I'm thinking of getting an entry level 3-gallon air compressor (0.6 scfm @ 90 psi). Just for occasional week DIY tasks. What type of tools could you run with this? Nailer? 3/8" Ratchet? 3" Cutoff saw? Reciprocating saw? Paint sprayer?

As mentioned, at that cfm the unit will have a hard time doing much of anything.

Shop around, I got a very nice Dewalt pancake style for way under 100 bucks new at the big box store.

Looks like I have to get at leats 1.5 hp if I want to do something remotely useful? I liked the 3 gallon because it was light and portable. I don't want to lug some 25+ gallon monstrosity around the house just to nail baseboard.

Looks like I have to get at leats 1.5 hp if I want to do something remotely useful? I liked the 3 gallon because it was light and portable. I don't want to lug some 25+ gallon monstrosity around the house just to nail baseboard.

Hammer-and-Nail.gif

^cheap, doesnt take alot of room, reliable...

Last edited:

I would get a large one and plumb each room for air. Kind of like a central vac. I doubt if the wife would notice or mind!

The 3 gallon compressor can probably run a nailer that requires 1 cfm right?

Yes with a 3 gallon you can power Brad nailers, floor nailers etc. I installed bamboo flooring with my 3 gallon Pancake compressor. It would not work with Air guns since they use a high CFM.

If the air tank is too small the compressor motor will continually be coming on to fill the tank. For small jobs the 3 gallon is adequate.

Regards, JC.

Only thing I ever used my 3 gallon compressor for was to fill up tires and run a blow gun. Worked great for both applications. I have a 20 gallon compressor that runs my impact and other air tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back