Are Mitsubishi Galants any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is still used car shopping, and has noticed that some '09-10 Galants at what look like good prices. Are they good cars?

From what i've seen they aren't bad but due to the lack of Mitsubishi's marketing or (Lack there of) they havent sold well. I would look for a V-6 especially the ralliart variety. The car weighs 3,400 plus pounds and that is a real strain on the 2.4 4 cyl engine. I wouldn't rule it out unless you have to have a manual, which unfortunately isn't offered. I read a couple of reviews Galant reviews and Galant review 2
Hopefully these will help you decide.

They do use an outdated variant of the 4G6X Mitsubishi "Sirius" engine and a outdated 4 speed transmission. They're also interference engines so a timing belt service will be on the horizon for a Galant purchaser.

You're essentially buying a car with a circa 2000 powertrain. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It just doesn't really compare to it's competitors. Fortunately, they do come in a little less expensive than the "Camccordtima" and even the Mazda6. (I purchased my V6 Mazda for about the same price as a similar year/mileage Accord LX 4 cylinder)

I do like the spin on transmission filter. The transmission doesn't have a stellar reputation for reliability. Proper maintenance should extend it's service life and anything that makes that easier is good to me. Overall they do not seem to have a good reputation for reliability, but I do see a few with 150,000+ miles.

They actually handle pretty well. It's mechanically similar to an Eclipse's platform and it doesn't drive that differently than a 3rd or 4th gen 4cyl Eclipse to me. Of course, outward visibility is better in the Galant and the backseat is actually useable....you do give up the Eclipse's hatch versatility but the Galant has an acceptable trunk.

Go for 2005+ altimas. Not overpriced like the accords and camrys but just as reliable and more powerful. Same with 2002+ maxima 30+ mpg on hwy isn't uncommon on the 6 cyl models.

Although not as modern as the competition, and a bit of a dark horse, the Galant is a very reliable car. The 3.8L equipped models are pretty well optioned, but the 2.4L is more practical from a maintenance point of view.

Might want to look into Infiniti G35's instead. For some reason their resale drops like a stone and you can get awesome deals on 4-5 yr old models with under 60K on the clock.

The problem with getting a V6 Galant is that they just did not make very many.

It's not like the Accord, Camry, Altima, Mazda6 where you can just find a V6 model. Just for grins and hahas I checked the CarMax website. There are 61 Galants availiable....3 of them are V6es. Three.....Nationwide.

That's just one chain. Maybe somebody else's company has a monopoly on them....but I just do not see Galants with V6es. All of the Galants that come to me are 4 cylinders. They make (made) them, but I would guess that 20:1 is a fair estimate of 4cyl:V6

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Might want to look into Infiniti G35's instead. For some reason their resale drops like a stone and you can get awesome deals on 4-5 yr old models with under 60K on the clock.

I can attest to the price drop of the G35, many owners lease them and there are a zillion of them on the road. I still love mine after 140K miles of abuse and can't think of anything I can afford that I would like to replace it with.

The drawback for the G35 is fuel mileage (I get 17 in town and 22 highway) and many of them get abused.

The advantage for the G35 is that it is fun, practical and RWD. Takes lots of abuse. Other than the brakes - they don't take much abuse.

For a practical car, the Altima or Maxima are better choices. Better gas mileage, more room, simpler. and in the case of the V6 models, probably similar performance since they are FWD.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

It's not like the Accord, Camry, Altima, Mazda6 where you can just find a V6 model. Just for grins and hahas I checked the CarMax website. There are 61 Galants availiable....3 of them are V6es. Three.....Nationwide.

That's just one chain. Maybe somebody else's company has a monopoly on them....but I just do not see Galants with V6es. All of the Galants that come to me are 4 cylinders. They make (made) them, but I would guess that 20:1 is a fair estimate of 4cyl:V6

Similar case in this market. The V6 is a widely available if you're buying new, but try the used market and most are L4's.

The 6G75 was really developed as a longitudinal application for the Mitsubishi Pajero. It found its way to the Galant/Eclipse after it was engineered to be transversely mounted in the Endeavor. Still, it's not easy to come across a 6G75 equipped Galant or Eclipse.

I suppose the V6 Galant is like the stick shift miata, many were made, but most used ones aren't getting sold.

I read a review of the new galant that basically rhetorically asked why would anyone buy one instead of a camcord6tima? As a used car the market should buoy its value appropriately.

I rented one a few years back, and it was THE WORST new car that I've driven in years. I didn't realize that anything THAT bad was being built in the 21st century.

It was built as cheaply as possible, and it showed. There was nothing about it that stood out. It was one of the few rental cars that I've had, that I couldn't take back quickly enough.

I'd MUCH rather have a 2000 Buick LeSabre, than have a 2010 Mitsubishi Galant.

Here's what I wrote, back when I rented it....

Budget has put me in a 2010 Mitsubishi Galant with 6,000 miles.

I'm referring to this piece of rubbish is the PERFECT rental car, as very few people in their right mind would likely spend their hard earned money on one of these things... and all that I can think about is returning it later tonight.

There's no exterior temperature display, no auxiliary jack for the radio, the front seats have no lumbar adjustment, and there is only one 12 volt outlet for the entire passenger compartment.

It is the epitome of cheap. The doors and trunk lid sound very tinny and hollow when they close, and every bit of road noise is transmitted right into the passenger compartment. I pressed the traction control button on the dash, and it pushed through the hole and is now rattling around somewhere inside the dash.

There are exposed screw heads in the steering column, and the brackets that hold the seats to the floor are exposed, with no effort made to hide them. There is nothing as far as an instant or average MPG readout, nor a DTE readout.

The 2.4 liter 4 is thrashy and buzzy, and one can feel the engine moving through strong and weak "bands" of torque as it winds up the RPM's.

While driving in town at 40 mph, it shifts into 4th (yes, it is just a four speed) and drops the RPM's down to about 1100, and then the engine starts vibrating (4 cylinder). The only way to keep it from doing this is to manually lock out 4th gear. I suspect that it does this for fuel economy reasons... but it doesn't work.

In comparison, this thing makes an Chevy Impala LT with the standard V6 seem like a Lexus.

I could probably have left it unlocked in the parking garage with the keys in the ignition. If someone had stolen it, after driving it for several blocks, they'd likely bring it back and leave it in the same parking spot as they found it.

If this car is a good sample of the quality and design of the entire Mitsubishi line, I'm amazed that they sell anything at all... and are still selling cars in this country.

Mitsu had better keep pushing models like this onto the rental companies while they can.

I suspect that this model is several years old with nothing more than a few cheap cosmetic upgrades over the years... because it really shows, in the total lack of convenient features, and the cheap design.

I have to put another couple hundred miles on this to get back home (hopefully it gets me back home). I'll probably have more to report later tonight.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1962324

in short, unless you are a dedicated fan and do not care about value for the money, avoid the galant.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Similar case in this market. The V6 is a widely available if you're buying new, but try the used market and most are L4's.

The 6G75 was really developed as a longitudinal application for the Mitsubishi Pajero. It found its way to the Galant/Eclipse after it was engineered to be transversely mounted in the Endeavor. Still, it's not easy to come across a 6G75 equipped Galant or Eclipse.

It appears that 2009 was the last year for the V6 Galant.
I checked autotrader and found 2,194 2009-2012 4 cyl Galants and 24 2009 V6 Galants.

My wife had an Eclipse GT with a 6G72. She insists that it was the best car she ever owned.
21.gif
I thought it looked funny, the interior was cheap, instrument cluster appeared to have been lifted from a New Beetle, and even though it was wider than my Integra GS-R, my Integra had more front and rear legroom and headroom. I never could find an angle where I thought to myself, "hey, that looks pretty good." But it drove okay. It was no Prelude but it had more torque.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Didn't the older models share drivetrane with many Hyundai and Chryco models? I'm thinking the Elantra / Santa Fe / Cloud Cars?

The 2nd gen Eclipse RS and GS shared a Chrysler DOHC 2.0 with the later models of the Plymouth Breeze.

As far as I know, the Galant never used the Chrysler 420A or A604/41TE. The 4cyls were Sirius series engines and KM17XXX transmissions.

The Galant was a pretty capable competitor to the Accord, Camry, Stanza, and 626....in 1989. It did okay in the '90s. The '96 Galant was actually a pretty good looking car. But by 2003 it had fallen behind the competition. Mitsubishi never really tried to get back in.

It's a tough segment. To make matters worse for the Normal, IL built Galant, two of the midsize domestics have gotten really good. Back in '89, the Galant didn't have to be that good to be better than a 4cyl Corsica or Tempo, but you have to be real good to beat a Malibu or Fusion.

Over the years of working on cars I can't say I ever use the the term good and mitsubishi in the same paragragh let along sentence. Parts are pricey and dealers have dropped like fly's so OE parts maybe mail order in some areas and they just don't hold up well in my opinion. There is a reason they resell cheap.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Same with 2002+ maxima 30+ mpg on hwy isn't uncommon on the 6 cyl models.

I can tell you this is false. I'm lucky to get 25-27 mpg on the highway (we're talking flat FL interstates, while doing 70). And frequent stop-and-go is somewhere around 16 mpg. I still love mine though.

And to the OP, my aunt has an early 2000s Galant. The engine runs, but the rest of it just doesn't seem to hold up that well. When I hear Mitsubishi, I think cheap disposable cars (except for the Evo of course). Not to mention the design of the current Galant has been around since 2004.

Last edited:
The likely prior owner was a rental or fleet car of a used one. Very few consumers buy this new. It suffers from old design and 2nd to 3rd tier back when originally designed.

I rented a Galant many years ago, but it was the previous generation, the 8th generation. You know, I thought it was quite a good little car. I rented it in North Carolina and drove to Atlanta and stayed all week (driving around) and came back home. It had the 4G64 I-4 engine and I thought it was a decent little motor. The seats were comfortable and most of the interior surfaces were soft-touch surfaces. It had a nice balance of ride and handling as I recall. But this almost must have been 7-8 years ago, and I know that it doesn't necessarily represent a 2010 era model. At the time, I remember thinking, "this car has to compete well with the Camry/Accord and others". Maybe they were even better at the time, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back