Sidewall Indentation - Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While applying some tire shine with a rag today, I notice a bump on the sidewall of one of my tires. It doesn't seem to be a bulge or bubble, but rather a bit of an indentation. It's not what I would describe as severe, but enough that I felt it and caused me to take a closer look. For all I know it's not new. But at the same time, if it'd been there for a while, I'd think that I would have noticed it before.

What do you guys think? Is this something to be concerned about? Indicative of a problem?

In case it matters, the tires are the OE Continental ContiProContact on my Nissan - P215/60R16 94T 540 A A.

Not a problem. Radial belted tires have seams in them that can appear as indentations around the tire. Its actually the strongest part of the tire since the belts are bonded there.

If its an inconsistent looking indentation that doesn't directly follow the radius of the wheel though, I'd be curious too.

A concave bump on a tire is normal. That's just where the layers overlap. Now if the bubble was sticking out and not in, that would be a problem.
Originally Posted By: barlowc
While applying some tire shine with a rag today, I notice a bump on the sidewall of one of my tires. It doesn't seem to be a bulge or bubble, but rather a bit of an indentation. It's not what I would describe as severe, but enough that I felt it and caused me to take a closer look. For all I know it's not new. But at the same time, if it'd been there for a while, I'd think that I would have noticed it before.

What do you guys think? Is this something to be concerned about? Indicative of a problem?

In case it matters, the tires are the OE Continental ContiProContact on my Nissan - P215/60R16 94T 540 A A.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
A concave bump on a tire is normal. That's just where the layers overlap. Now if the bubble was sticking out and not in, that would be a problem.
Originally Posted By: barlowc

YupYup. Since the tire is thicker there, it is not expanding as much. Its called an Undulation and its presence does not effect the safety of the tire.
For fun, ask several tire shops what they think of it. See how many try to sell you a tire.

Last edited:
Sidewall indentations are generally OK. That's where the plies overlap.

Sidewall bulges are always bad.

"For fun, ask several tire shops what they think of it. See how many try to sell you a tire."

This............ is great. I'd love to hear the results. I almost wish I had a sidewall undulation now so I could find out.

As everyone said, they are common and not a problem.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
For fun, ask several tire shops what they think of it. See how many try to sell you a tire.

I may have to make a trip to the tire shop this week to check for a leak in one of my tires. Last week, when the tires were wet from the rain, I heard a periodic puff of air every 10 seconds or so. I can't tell if it's at the TPMS valve stem or where the rim and tire mate. It's so slow that I'm only losing a pound every 5 days, but nonetheless something I want to get fixed. Especially with an upcoming 1,200 mile road trip.

While I'm there, I'll point out and ask them what they think and see if they try to sell me new tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back