Replaced the van with a Taurus X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted the other day about having to replace my Entourage van because my mother's condition had gotten to the point she could not get into it anymore. I'd thought about getting a large car like a Town Car or Grand Marquis. Someone in that thread suggested looking at a Ford Freestyle or Taurus X. After doing some research, I decided to steer clear of the Freestyle because of the CVT transmission and started looking for a nice Taurus X. Found one today. It's an 08, one owner, all the service records. Drives great and is tight and solid. You can definitely tell this thing is based on a Volvo platform.

03.jpg

02.jpg

05.jpg

08.jpg

If reliability and durability are important to you then you had the right idea with a Panther chassis - CV/GM/TC.

Good luck with your choice, though.

Keith

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
If reliability and durability are important to you then you had the right idea with a Panther chassis - CV/GM/TC.

Utility and the ability of my near-cripled mother to be able to get in out was the prime concern. The CV/GM/TC sits almost as low as my 300, so they would not work. Needed something with a seat height of about 26-27 inches. Anything lower and my mother has to "fall" into the seat and then it's almost impossible to get her out. My 300's seat height is 22". The van was 29.5" and had gotten to be too high for her. The Taurus X is 27.5. I also looked at a Toyota Venza (26.5"), but it was out of my budget.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Still like em...great color choice!

How many miles?

90,000. Oil was changed at the local Ford dealer by the book every 7500 miles. Inside of the engine is SPOTLESS.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
If that has the 6F35 trans GM/Ford joint venture mess watch out...

Watch out for what? My research didn't reveal any problems with this tranny.

That transmission did not appear until the 2010 MY, and only on the Fusions and Escapes IIRC.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

That transmission did not appear until the 2010 MY, and only on the Fusions and Escapes IIRC.

The 6F was used in the 2008 Taurus, Taurus X, and Mercury Sable.

I looked for one of these when searching for our Tribute.

This and the 500 are very hard to find, and expensive when you do.

Not really a big deal, as I personally find them large and heavy-looking. They are a nice car, just not what I was after....Hope you enjoy yours, tho!

Looks like a nice comfortable car. My neighbor has the sedan version, I believe his is an '08 too. It used to be his company car, but he liked it so much he bought it when they got him a new car for work. His hasn't had any transmission issues, his only complaint is that it is apparently hard to keep aligned, but a lot of the roads around here are pretty beat up.

I had an '08 (sedan) as a company car and it was a nice ride. Quiet, smooth riding and lots of power from the 3.5L. No issues with it, but the handling could have been better - at the speeds Mom will be driving I am sure that won't be an issue. It was very easy to drive and navigate.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I had an '08 (sedan) as a company car and it was a nice ride. Quiet, smooth riding and lots of power from the 3.5L. No issues with it, but the handling could have been better - at the speeds Mom will be driving I am sure that won't be an issue. It was very easy to drive and navigate.

Mom has not been able to drive in over ten years. I needed this to carry her in.

6f35 in fusion 6f50 in taurus. I got it. Same design, the 50 just handles more torque. Hopefully they don't share other issues.

6f35 in fusion 6f50 in taurus. I got it. Same design, the 50 just handles more torque. Hopefully they don't share other issues.

The 6F50 has been around longer, too--since 2007. The 6F35 was introduced in 2009 for the smaller cars.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Still like em...great color choice!

How many miles?

90,000. Oil was changed at the local Ford dealer by the book every 7500 miles. Inside of the engine is SPOTLESS.

Do you have X-ray vision? Or did you pull the covers off?
grin.gif

Congrats on the purchase. Hope it serves you well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back